Woo hoo hoo!! Grilling with Planks!

I suspect this wouldn't work w/ indirect heat very well since removing the plank from direct heat would remove the source of heat required to keep it smouldering/smoking. I suppose you could separate the plank from the meat so the plank is direct and meat is indirect but it might be better then just to use (cheaper, I would guess) wood chips instead. I know you can do that w/ briquets. Not sure about the fancier grills.

Have you had a chance to try this out with thicker cuts of meat? Finding a way to grill stuff that needs indirect heat would be really helpful.
I haven't tried it, but the recipes on fireandflavor.com have some larger cuts.

Here is one for pork loin which I think of as being a large cut that needs indirect heat: Fire & Flavor: Cedar Planked Orange Pork Loin. Note that the meat gets seared first before placing it on the plank. She does that will all the red meats.

I am not a pork loin fan. I much prefer pork tenderloin which can be grilled directly or indirectly.

I ordered this book used via Amazon: How to Grill with Wooden Planks for Unbeatable Barbecue Flavor - Ron Shewchuk. It had the best reviews by far. Maybe it will have more clues as to what is possible/recommended.

Audrey

Audrey, I don't see a reference in that recipe being for indirect heat. As far as I can tell, it says nothing actually about the method which I would interpret as being for direct heat.

Audrey, I don't see a reference in that recipe being for indirect heat. As far as I can tell, it says nothing actually about the method which I would interpret as being for direct heat.
Kaneohe - we are saying that the presence of the plank between the grill grate and the meat/fish makes it equivalent to indirect heat grilling. It really is - it takes quite a bit longer to cook the food than having the meat/fish directly on the grill grates.

Audrey

Ok, that makes sense. Agree w/ the longer required times w/ plank. Thanks.

Ok, that makes sense. Agree w/ the longer required times w/ plank. Thanks.
Yeah - basically my delight in discovering plank grilling was that it actually allows me to simulate indirect grilling on my single burner grill, in addition to the other cools aspects such as the elegant presentation and the great smoky smells.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom