Woot

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I came across this site today:

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

They sell only one product a day, and they don't tell you how many they have to sell, this is today's. As I have never been in the market for a TiVo I don't know if this is a good price or now. I did think it was an interesting marketing technique.

TiVo Series 3 High Definition 250GB THX Certified DVR

$169.99

Every once in awhile they do a Woot random BOC (bag of crap) sale. FW always has a thread about it and people post youtube videos of opening their BOC boxes. It is pretty funny and I save the hassle and $$ and don't bring extra Crap into the house.

I have used them a couple of times. Bought 2 light weight sleeping bags for $20 which are pretty good. I also got boys one of the old vibrating electric football games. They love playing with it.

Tomcat98

I came across this site today:

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

They sell only one product a day, and they don't tell you how many they have to sell, this is today's. As I have never been in the market for a TiVo I don't know if this is a good price or now. I did think it was an interesting marketing technique.

TiVo Series 3 High Definition 250GB THX Certified DVR

$169.99

I have an S3 and this looks like a good price. It is a lot less (a lot) than what I paid, but I was an early S3 customer. Depends on what you will have to pay for the service. Just did a quick look at the TiVo site and don't see prices for the service.

Looks like the current TiVo offereing is called Premiere, which appears to be a "converged" offering. They probably want customers to go "Premiere".

Edit to add: I have the S3 on Lifetime service, and an S2DT on yearly for $99.00/year.
Looks like they are still selling the service for $9.95/month, or $99.00/year, or $299.00 for lifetime.
So yep, $169.99 for an S3 is good, but look at Premiere before buying.

Woot is a great idea, but I usually deliberate more than a day or so on most purchases of a few hundred dollars or more. Just me.

I have been buying stuff from Woot for a few years now... both of my TVs, a DVD, a couple of cameras... heaters, knives, etc. etc...

They usually sell 'older' stuff... and at a discount to almost anywhere else you can find it... go to the discussions and you will see people who post links of reviews and other prices.. so you can check these out...

Be aware that a number of what they sell are refurbs... but so far most of the ones have worked just great. I have had a few 'duds'.... but overall I feel I have saved enough money to get over them...

As for the bags of crap.... there is almost zero chance of you getting one... they now only sell them in woot offs and they had one yesterday... 2000 sold in maybe two minutes... this usually crashes their servers... and MOST of them are really crap... but since they only cost you $1... who cares....

When you get there... you can also look at sellout woot... kids woot etc... there are 4 sites I believe... (wine and shirt)...

Ditto what Texas Proud says, the comments are worth wading through because there are usually some honest opinions and experiences with the products, and pointers to reviews and price comparisons. You do have to beware of impulse buying, but if you get an idea of what they sell (and you can see a list by clicking on the Community link) you can wait for something you want to buy to come to woot and get it cheap then. But you may have to pull the trigger quickly.

I actually have won 2 random bags of crap. One really had nothing I was interested in except for a bag I gave my daughter. The second one included 4 different mp3 Sandisk players including one a nice 8GB one, obviously used since the wheel didn't turn well until I hit it with WD40. I think they might sometimes put returns in the bags of crap and stuff they can't get rid of, so quality of those may be suspect, but the daily woot stuff seems to be ok. They will say whether they are new or refurb.

Backcountry.com also has some similar sites for their clearance gear: tramdock.com for ski stuff, and SteepAndCheap.com for outdoor stuff, plus a biking gear site or two.

I love woot! I've bought 5 items over the last 2-3 years. Most items for sale are actually pretty good deals. My favorite purchases were a 2 GB sansa clip mp3 player (refurb, but was "like new") for $15.99 and a Vornado Soleaire Foot Heater for $19.99 (used it almost every day this last winter). The fun part is discovering items that you never knew you needed...:)

I check it daily. I have yet to win a BOC. I think I have 8-10 Woot purchases.

Woot discriminates against Hawaii :(

Back
Top Bottom