Join Early Retirement Today

worth going to see Charlie Munger?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

worth going to see Charlie Munger?

Looks like Charlie Munger will be speaking in my area soon - anyone want to weigh in on whether this would be worth going to see?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Looks like Charlie Munger will be speaking in my area soon - anyone want to weigh in on whether this would be worth going to see?
You don't say what the cost would be, or what your criteria for "worth it" might be.

For me, it would be worth it if not too much travel was involved.

Ha

Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I'm asking about "worth it" purely for the fun/information to be gleaned, given that I'm generally interested in finance, economic theories, and entertaining stories. No admission fee, very close to home.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Guess I'm asking about "worth it" purely for the fun/information to be gleaned, given that I'm generally interested in finance, economic theories, and entertaining stories. No admission fee, very close to home.
Well, considering he's the other half of Buffet's brain, you're only out your time, and you're interested in finance and entertaining stories, then I'd wager it'd be fun. I could be wrong, but his humor strikes me as deliciously dry and I'm sure he has more than a few stories about BRK.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

go.

heh heh heh - you do know you required to debrief here upon completion - right?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
go.

heh heh heh - you do know you required to debrief here upon completion - right?

Man I dont want to know if hes wearing underwear or not..

Heh heh heh
Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you don't already know whether or not you should go listen to Munger speak then you should Fedex your admission ticket to me...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

ok, I'm going, I'm going!

I think I can get two tix for free, so Nords, if you plan to be in town in March, you're welcome to come with.

Will let y'all know how it turns out, though I'm not gonna debrief.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

So, the Munger event was last week. Glad I went, as it was definitely entertaining and informative. He talked for maybe 20 mins, then had a Q&A session with the interviewer and the audience. One of his main topics was that society needs more generalists (that wasn't the term he used, but I've forgotten it): people who can draw conclusions across several independent fields of study, unlike many experts who are brilliant in their own field but ignorant of how it relates to much else. In response to many questions about how to duplicate his success, he pretty much recommended watching how others made mistakes so that one could avoid making them oneself.

There were a lot of businessy types there, some students. Great catered food while waiting in line, so that alone would have been worth it.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #10

His comment about generalists is very apt - although I work in a technical field, I come across that all the time - people who can't fina\d analogies or speak to people in other areas so that they understand the concepts of your area. A bit of bragging following here - I was having a conversation with a cardiologist yesterday, I'm a biomedical engineer and we were speaking about information technology - he made the comment that most of the time the IT types are jabbering away in their lingo and he's lost - he then said that I did such a good job of explaining technical things in a way he can understand - a good translator. I try to tell the doctor/nurse/technician how something (usually technology) will affect the way they work in terms they can understand. I also try to tell the administrator/etc, how something will affect the bottom line or morale or the infrastructure, etc. Frankly, it's arrogant to assume someone will know your particular 'lingo-language.'

The key to being able to do that is to study the different areas, yes, however, to expose yourself to many different fields of study, experiences, etc. I do the same in my Reserve job -I try to explain to people who have been in one place their whole career the different things out there and how they relate.

Another example - and it is only one example in the current financial/economic situation - the 'quants' though very intelligent seemed like they weren't very 'smart - i.e. to assume that one can easily get high reward with low risk isn't 'smart.' One probably should have seen how that type of assumption and associated behavior would ripple through an interconnected system from a long-term perspective. I believe many people lost sight of the big picture and here they/we are.

OK - soapbox done - sounds like at least the food was good!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Couple of really good Munger speeches - worth reading
1. Charlie Munger : THE PSYCHOLOGY OF HUMAN MISJUDGMENT</b>
2. http://vinvesting.com/docs/munger/Munger_UCSBspeech.pdf - Interdisciplinary
3. Charlie Munger : Art of Stock Picking

-h