Munger: “Envy, not greed” (CNBC)

Blade Runner was set in a world with substantially fewer people than currently.

Sounds good to me.

Mad Max showed even fewer people.

The problem with that is you have to do everything yourself. And even for a jack of all trades, even if you possess the knowledge to do something, without the requisite tools and materials, the result is still naught.

I read the article, and I agree. I think back to those surveys/studies done along the lines of "would you rather have $200 and have someone else given $300, or have $100 and have someone else given $50?" The majority select the latter, they would rather get less because they do not want someone else to get more.

I was fortunate how my parents raised me. One of the things they would often quote was the saying "I was upset because I had no shoes, until I met someone who had no feet". They tried to instill in me and my siblings a sense of perspective, that while we were "unique", we were not inherently "special" to expect things - our "special" came from applying the talents we had.

I remember going to college, an Ivy League school, as a minority from a lower middle class background, wondering if I could compete and also being envious of what I saw others had, or of their backgrounds. Fortunately one of the "common sense" lessons I learned to combat envy was, if you feel envious towards someone, try to talk to them to see how they got to where they were. Yes, there were some idiots, but the vast majority were not, and I made me more comfortable and confident in understanding that my priority was to focus on my skills and abilities. Being envious of others was a distraction that would hurt my own skills and abilities. As side impact that I did not realize at the time was that I was, in a sense, "networking", which paid off in several ways down the line.

More than that. If Carnegie got the illness I had 10 years ago, he would not live till 83 and his money would be of no help. He was among the lucky ones.

It took a lot more advanced medicines than antibiotics, plus modern equipment and procedures to keep me alive to make this post now.

I am grateful for staying alive, I am not envious of nobody.

And even with the medical advances of our day, no one escapes death...even at quite a young age. Eg: Steve Jobs.

Memento mori. No amount of wealth will save me from every contingency. While I feel no envy towards those with outsized riches, I don’t choose to waste my precious remaining time making ever larger piles of it.

Truth.

Back
Top Bottom