Would this be a good idea if I'm "looking" at possibly, maybe, buying an iPhone?

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would this be a good idea if I'm "looking" at possibly, maybe, buying an iPhone?

I'm past my two-year contract on my phone. I use a plan with ample minutes, and unlimited texting and internet due to some sharing with daughter. (This prospective change would mean changing her to her own plan with current provider).

Have been wondering about an iPhone - but live in the country and would not want AT&T if it does not connect well where I live. Just because their coverage maps "say" it's here does not mean you're not in a dead spot.

Would this be a good way to find out...?

1. Change current phone to AT&T. Don't get a new phone, just use old phone, so as not to have to commit to a long contract - just pay month-to-month.

2. Use it for a month or so to be sure AT&T is okay in my area

3. Then purchase the iPhone (for the lower-than-retail price) which would require the longer contract.

My other reservation about an iPhone - you have to look at the dialing pad in order to dial (no ability to "feel" around to dial the number.

Comments welcome.

Also welcome - comments on the unexpected downside or upside you discovered after getting an iPhone.

Kindest regards,
spncity

P.S. I wish one of the big companies would "break" that $99 threshold for "everything" - then others would follow.

I think all cell providers offer either a 14 or 30 day trial period and will refund your money and tear up your contract if you aren't happy with the service (you are still responsible to pay for minutes used during the trial). I've done that more than once as I tried Verizon, Sprint and AT&T at my rural location.

Edit: I found this on the AT&T website:

30-day trial—use the phone for up to 30 days to make sure it’s the one that you want. If you don’t like it, you can return it to the closest AT&T retail store, and exchange the phone or cancel service without penalty. Note that you are still responsible for airtime and data usage charges generated before the phone is returned.

Curious as to why you want to not have to look at the dialing pad to dial? Hoping you are not one of those naughty people who tries to make calls or texts whilst driving.

I am planning to make the iPhone switch (currently with Verizon with a Blackberry).

I am waiting until mid-summer. It is expected that the new iPhone will be out, probably around late-June or July.

When I got my iPhone in January, they said (and it's in writing) that I had 30 days to try it out and if I wasn't satisfied with it, I could return it and cancel out. I would have to pay for any minutes used.

I've found extremely few places where I can't get a signal. One is a tiny little town just down the road from here, that sits in a valley with no cell towers around. Other than that, coverage has been very good.

So I'd say go ahead and get one and give it a try. If it doesn't suit your needs or coverage is lacking, take it back and cancel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.:cell:

The reason for trying AT&T sevice before buying iPhone was that I assumed a returned iPhone would incur a restocking charge - no?

Yes, had heard new iPhones are coming this summer sometime.

Heard one has more mistakes or slower typing using touchpad if used to buttons.

spncity
Replying from my Treo while driving... NOT!

my iphone = a phone. i don't check my email on it anymore. i usually come home, set it down and never look at it until the morning when i am walking out the door. but that's me. i'm about to buy a go phone, cancel the data part and go from there. extreme remorse.

i also have a blackberry bold that my boss decided i needed. after refusing for about a year, the boss couldn't find me one day last month and now i carry a blackberry with me everywhere (if i remember it). the iphone kicks the snot out of blackberry. i still don't know how to do anything on my blackberry besides silencing it, looking at my email, making phone calls and playing poker. Don't even know how to access the internet with it.

when i bought my iphone (1st gen) there was only 14 days to bring it back. and there was a restocking charge. mine was cool, but after 2 years i am ready to go back to the cheapie (more to do with my personality).

I'd find the best carrier for your location. If it happens to be AT&T, great. If not, consider doing what I did: buy an Android phone (each carrier has a few to choose from).

I am a big iPhone admirer (DW has one and I'm a big Mac fan) but the Androids are comparable in most ways, better in some. I am very content with my Sprint Hero.

I am NOT an Apple fan but I must say the Iphone is fantastic. It's the many things you can do with it that make it a worthwhile tool. I was a Crackberry addict for a long time but I agree the Iphone is much better. Only yesterday my wife was saying that rarely do we go out that we don't use one of its' features for something (maps, camera, notetaking pad)

My other reservation about an iPhone - you have to look at the dialing pad in order to dial (no ability to "feel" around to dial the number.
Can't you use voice dialing with the iPhone? A buddy was at my house this weekend with an Android (Verizon) and was using voice to go to Web sites. I assume it also works for dialing.

Can't you use voice dialing with the iPhone? A buddy was at my house this weekend with an Android (Verizon) and was using voice to go to Web sites. I assume it also works for dialing.

Yes, I'm told this works. It only sort of works on my present phone.

I was considering moving from the Blackberry Storm to the Android but after a bit of research I may stay put or upgrade to the Storm 2. Two features are important to me: tethering for connecting my laptop to the Internet at my weekend house and Global data access for getting email, browser, and GPS/Google Maps overseas. The Storm is a hybrid CDMA/GMS phone so I can be on Verizon's network here and on the GSM networks overseas. Android won't do that (yet). The rumored Verizon iPhone might be a hybrid but I'm not holding my breath.

I would like an iphone too; then I checked the AT&T web page for coverage. The overview shows coverage for my area however when one zooms in on it you find out their coverage for my area is provided by "AT&T Partners". Further reading of the notes you find that if too much of your AT&T service comes from partners they will cancel the contract. The upshot is that in their commercials they show an area equal to Verizon, in reality you can't get there from here.

DW and I both got I Phones last year, after a few weeks I turned mine in. I went back to a flip phone. I found the I Phone to big for my needs and most of the features I'd never use.

DW and I both got I Phones last year, after a few weeks I turned mine in. I went back to a flip phone. I found the I Phone to big for my needs and most of the features I'd never use.

That's why I don't have an iPhone either. I can afford one, and I'm supposed to want one, I guess... but for what? I don't even text, I never take pictures with my cell phone, and I don't use many minutes. And why waste time surfing the internet on my cell phone? Not my cup of tea (I waste enough time web surfing at home anyway). I guess I just don't GET it. :LOL:

I have a Blackberry and DW has an iphone. The iphone far out-apps the Blackberry and has better reception (both are AT&T). I'm going to get an iphone when the next generation comes out

Back
Top Bottom