Wrist watch for retirees?

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This seemed interesting concept, a watch with only one hand [I am NOT endorsing or promoting this product]

from the site "We only use one hand that shows the 24 hour time in order to create a true slow watch that is reduced to only one necessary component. "

https://www.slow-watches.com/

So, if I've got a doctor's appointment, told someone I'd meet them at 2:30, or had some other need for reasonable precision, I've got to squint at the hour hand and tiny markings to tell the time? No thanks.

I've always been partial to this watch made for cats.

Attachments

• cat watch.jpg
    cat watch.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 24
Interesting watch, maybe a gimmick for someone.

I have not worn a watch since around 1991. There are cell phones, computers, etc. with the time.

I damn sure would not wear one after I retire... I am a on-time person, so I need to have a time mechanism.

Interesting watch, maybe a gimmick for someone.

I have not worn a watch since around 1991. There are cell phones, computers, etc. with the time.

I damn sure would not wear one after I retire... I am a on-time person, so I need to have a time mechanism.

I retired my watch when I retired. Since I am either at home where there are lots of clocks, or in the car which has a clock and in general have few scheduled events I no longer needed the watch. I don't usually carry the cell phone, since the car has on-star and if it breaks down I just use them to get help.

I'll stick with the time on my Fitbit tracker. :)

I received a clock (about 10" in a nice wood case) made by DayClocks as a retirement gift. It's laid out with the seven days and a single hand as the watches in the link shared by OP.

It's great! It's on the wall here in my home office and I find it much more useful than the digital clock sitting on the desk. I always seem to be aware of approximately what time of day it is, even when I haven't thought about it for hours. But, more frequently than I like to admit, I'm not completely sure what day of the week it is (and usually don't care). I can glance at my clock at see instantly the day and about where we are in the day. If I really need to know exactly what time it is, I look at the digital clock.

I quit watches about 10 years ago (I have a half dozen with dead batts if anyone wants them). Between my car, my phone and wherever I go - I know the time 98.72% of the time. When I don't know, it's never been important. YMMV

I quit watches about 10 years ago (I have a half dozen with dead batts if anyone wants them). Between my car, my phone and wherever I go - I know the time 98.72% of the time. When I don't know, it's never been important. YMMV

That's me exactly! I only keep the dead ones because my wife gave them to me as a gift.

Also, I like to entertain myself by guessing the time, based on my short-term memory. I think I got more interested in this when MIL lost sense of time with dementia.

I'm not sure if i have ever worn a watch in my "serious" adult life. I think I had a wristwatch or two for fun, when in my teens in the 1970's. One of them was a Timex, I think. When "proper" grown-up life began, I never had a problem getting to where I wanted on time, or preferably a little early. I had clocks at home, and knew how long it took to get from home to work, or to the bus-stop. If in the car, it had a clock in the dash, and there were time-checks on the radio so I could be sure the clock was still telling the correct time. There was always the extra help of other people, passers-by etc, with watches, and clocks in public places.

Then I started wearing a pager and after that, using a cell. I like the idea of watches, but have never felt that I actually needed one.

Now that I'm retired, I find that an old broken analog watch I have is usually good enough. It's stuck at 2:15. It's tells the right time twice a day (once in the day and once at night), which is usually close enough for my needs. Heck, I can even tell if it's 2:15 am or pm by looking outside. :LOL:

Last edited:
I cannot imagine giving up my Timex Ironman watch. The Doc always shows me his which is identical and we have a good laugh. Uses: read time (duh), stop watch, alarmed countdown timer to tell me when an event must end, 3 alarms for something I need to do at a critical time, etc. Yes, I kind of like precision but am easing up a bit in my retired old age. ;)

And yes, I have a smartphone too.

I had stopped wearing a wristwatch for many years (starting around 1990) until my ladyfriend bought me one back in early 2008 before I ERed. I still wear it but not often. I don't wear it at home or at her place or when I am out square dancing or at my scrabble friend's place or when I'm asleep (of course). That doesn't leave many hours in the day I actually DO wear it LOL!

I've always been good at asking other people "what time is it?"...

I take a senior water aerobics class- a few of the participants have waterproof watches and we make them do the timing of the interval/aerobic stuff.

http://www.shinola.com/our-story

Bought Shinola watches for the guys in our annual Vegas trip, as we are all from Detroit area.

Detroit needs all the help they can get, and I think it's admirable what this company is doing to provide jobs.

About 10 years ago when my employer was throwing money at me every time I passed a CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter) exam, I saved up all the proceeds and bought myself a Rolex, which I'd wanted for a very long time. Mine was bought second-hand at a pawn shop, but it's since been back to Rolex for overhauls and they've accepted it, so I wasn't sold a fake. Overhauls are expensive and it needs adjusting again because it's running slow, but I still feel naked without it.

Back
Top Bottom