Yeah! ER nearly 2 years earlier than planned!

Retire2013

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello Forum members!

I had planned to ER at end of 2014 but I've reached 3% WR and my company is doing a RIF and offering me a six-figure severance package so I am going to ER at end of next month. :dance: I kept hoping this would happen and kept my plan to ER to myself. I survived several rounds of layoffs but finally it's my turn and this has truly saved me from the potential of falling for the "one-more-year syndrome!"

I've known of this news for over 2 weeks now. Have been so happy! I kept pinching myself to make sure it's not just a dream and that I am going to wake up and find myself having to work for another 5 years before ER. Then I look at my packet. Read the severance payment and benefits (I am a CPA and am pretty decent with numbers) and YES, it is really happening! Now I feel ready to share this very happy news with ALL of YOU!!!

I am so thrilled. I explained this wonderful news to my dogs "Mommy is going to ER now instead of at end of next year" they just tilted their heads one way and then the other way but then I got to the part where I told them "we are going to take long walks around the lake everyday!" then they got it and started wagging their tails and broke into spontaneous running around in circles. What happy times we are living right now.

Thank you ALL for your encouragement since I've joined this Forum in 2009.

Yeah!!!! :dance:

Retire 2014 (please add me to the Class of 2013!!!)

Last edited:
Congratz! I'm just sitting and waiting for the same thing. We had a layoff at the end of January, and I didn't get tapped. But the rumor right now is that sales are still falling. Maybe another round later this year. I'm working on reducing my performance so they don't miss me this go around...

Congrats Retire2014...oh..I mean, 2013! :D

p.s. Here I am typing this note as outside the snow is coming down (forecast calls for up to 6 inches). But, no biggy. I'm peacefully at home..since I'm retired!!

Congrats on the earlier than expected retirement! I'm sure the pups will be glad to have you around much more. My current pup (just turned 10 yrs old) has not had to experience being left alone on weekdays since I adopted him after I retired, but I always felt bad about leaving my previous lab on his own for 10+ hours a day.

Wonderful news. What will you do all day? :confused:

Congrats and especially for getting to a place where an RIF with a severance package is a cause fo celebration not panic! Good things happen.

WOW>>>>!!!!!

You will LOVE being ER'd...and hopefully you will love the first few months, as I am (since Jan 4th last day of work but Feb 28 is actual retire date...)..

It is so nice and QUIET now....no rings, chirps, buzzes, pings, etc...and I LOVE IT....!!!

Congratulations....enjoy these moments as you approach this milestone...too often in life the important things blast right past us....Enjoy and savor how you're feeling right now...amd up to the minute you go.....!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your severance putting you over the top! I got a note from a former colleague who was RIFd last month and they were not in such a good position - would love to ER but can't financially swing it yet. Go out with a big smile!

Congratulations!! :D:dance: Let me, or any of our mod/admin team know if/when you want to change your username. We'd be glad to help. :)

Score!!!!

Nicely done, Retire2014. That was a very smart move to keep your cards close. I will be interested to know as to how you settle into your new life, please keep us posted.

Congratulations!

They say that success is the result of Opportunity (luck) meeting Preparedness... you did your preparedness bit just right! Congratulations!!! :dance:

Congratulations!
Isn't it good to be prepared?

I am so jealous. My boss has told me yesterday that I am too valuable to be made redundant. Instead he announced that I will be promoted end of April - only by title, function and salary will remain the same.
I am still in the class of 2013.

Way to go :) the puppies are going to love having you around! I love happy stories like this!

Congrats! To paraphrase Homer Simpson - 'mmmmmmmmm, six-figure severance package!' :)

-ERD50

Dear All, in the interest of full disclosure, I should add that my employer offered me a job in another department, same title, same pay, but it would be a lot of "heavy lifting" since that department is not well run. They told me to "Sleep on it and don't refuse right away, think about it. At least try it out for 3 to 4 months and then you can always decide if you want to stay on longer term and you'd still be eligible for the severance if you choose to leave." So I did, I slept on it for 2 nights and my heart sank every time I thought of trying to fix things in the department that was offered to me to run. Then I looked over my financial calculations again even WITHOUT a penny from the my severance, I still already have enough to withdraw less than 3% so I politely declined the offer to stay on. Then my employer said how about coming back as a consultant to help fix that department. I said that I would consider contract work of 3 to 4 months duration etc. I did not want to burn any bridges. I do sincerely hope that my employer will not call me for any contract work. It's difficult to find a polite way to say what a mess this other dept is so I am going to simply state that I look forward to ER etc. and leave it at that.

I do feel a little bit guilty for leaving the money on the table but I value time more than money at this juncture. Having a little more money would not change how I live my life but having more time right now while I still have my health is immensely pleasurable for me and my dogs! So YEAH!!! I am going to ER at end of next month, period!

I look forward to doing many other activities that are not finance and audit related. I've been working very hard since I was a teenager. I am 52 now, not getting any younger, so it's time to take care of myself and my pets instead of megacorp.

Thank you ALL for your warm words. It is so wonderful to be part of this Forum. I am grateful for each and everyone of you for sharing your wisdom and humor!

Have a GREAT day!!!

Back
Top Bottom