Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel like a real "zero" after reading all the above. Where we live in California now is a zero, and where we'll be moving in Texas next month (July actually) is a zero. I guess I'm condemned to a super-suburban lifestyle totally dependent on a two-mile walk (with sidewalks at least) to a major shopping center, a bike ride, or increasingly costly car trip.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman View Post
I feel like a real "zero" after reading all the above. Where we live in California now is a zero, and where we'll be moving in Texas next month (July actually) is a zero. I guess I'm condemned to a super-suburban lifestyle totally dependent on a two-mile walk (with sidewalks at least) to a major shopping center, a bike ride, or increasingly costly car trip.
If you do decide to walk or ride your bike, watch out for scorpions, rattlesnakes, etc. And FYI, the temps have been running in the mid-70's - the lows that is. Highs in the upper 90's...and it's still Springtime!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
About 16 miles east of you -- in downtown Issaquah.
One of the places on our list of possible places to eventually in the US! If I could live within walking distance of the Issaquah library, I would be in HEAVEN! And wouldn't mind working for KCLS, either...Quick question, Rita -- how is the traffic on Front Street these days? Has it improved much since they opened the new freeway exits up to the Plateau? If we did move there we would try to avoid using the car as much as possible, but it is still nice not to have to deal with too much congestion and traffic.

lhamo
Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
One of the places on our list of possible places to eventually in the US! If I could live within walking distance of the Issaquah library, I would be in HEAVEN! And wouldn't mind working for KCLS, either...Quick question, Rita -- how is the traffic on Front Street these days? Has it improved much since they opened the new freeway exits up to the Plateau? If we did move there we would try to avoid using the car as much as possible, but it is still nice not to have to deal with too much congestion and traffic.

lhamo
Traffic is still nasty during commuting periods. The new freeway exits relieved some of the load on the Front St. freeway on ramps, but did nothing for the traffic on Front St through the old part of town. But still a really nice place to live.

-- Rita
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Score is 49. Distances seem a bit understated.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
Distances seem a bit understated.
The distances in this application are based on a straight line between addresses - not driving distances.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My pad came in at 97. I made it to my early 30's before I broke down and bought my first car, and then only for weekend getaways. I wonder what you have to do to get 100??
Old 06-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
My pad came in at 97. I made it to my early 30's before I broke down and bought my first car, and then only for weekend getaways. I wonder what you have to do to get 100??
If you don't feel too exposed, where are you? What neighborhood in what city?

If you get that walk score there are likely another million people within 20 blocks of where you live, so I think you can still retain your anonymity if that is what you like.

Overall, I do not get the point of a thread like this if no one knows where one's 0 or 50 or 98 is.

Ha
Old 06-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you don't feel too exposed, where are you? What neighborhood in what city?
Hoboken, NJ

Hoboken for Singles video

Right across the river from NYC (we've got fabulous skyline views). It's really become somewhat of a borough of NY with easy subway and waterway access to the city. Clearly an urban environment (as I imagine all places that rank highly in 'walkability' are) but on a smaller scale then neighboring NY. Most of the buildings are 3-5 story brownstone-type with some larger buildings on the perimeter. The city has done a good job of developing the water front with a bike/walking path, nice parks, and street level restaurants. Pretty much everything we want is within a 5-10 minute walk. We like the city a lot.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

can't beat ZERO but I got a 6
Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My old office address in the West Village came in at a 97, too. That neighborhood is the epitome of walkability, and totally similar to Hoboken in scale and density. In my dreams I will someday live in a 90s neighborhood...

lhamo
Old 06-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

What is your walkability score

walkscore.com ranks your address on ease of walking to various amenities. Mine got 95 out of 100.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty cool site. I live deep in the foothills and figured I wouldn't do well. 22
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
walkscore.com ranks your address on ease of walking to various amenities. Mine got 95 out of 100.
I merged your thread with the established one on the same topic.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

51 for my hood.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I merged your thread with the established one on the same topic.
Thanks Gumby. The original got by me unobserved.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a cousin of mine lives near don. what a great area. gosh, you can practically walk over to the white house and egg it for holloween. that alone has to be worth 10 points.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is a 72--downgraded I guess because the movie multiplex is 3.1 miles away (actually more like 7) and nearest bar is 1.5 miles away (actually more like .75). Hospital and funeral home are both within a mile so we could go from cradle to grave in our location without a car....

Checked our daughter's address--website is considering a fertility clinic as a fitness facility....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Checked our daughter's address--website is considering a fertility clinic as a fitness facility....
Looked at from a broad perspective, what could be more relevant to fitness?

Ha
Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Looked at from a broad perspective, what could be more relevant to fitness?

Ha
'Hey Honey - I'm going down to the fitness center, T-Al says it's best to do the fitness routine at least 6 days a week....'

And Bestwifeever, if your post meant that the fitness center *is* your daughter's address (rather than walking distance *from* your daughter's address like I thought), I apologize in advance for the crudeness

-ERD50