You Neighborhood Walk Score

Not sure what this is counting to make the scores. I score a 55 where I live now, but if I try an address 6 blocks away from all the parks and great walking trails and closer to a small commercial district my score rises to 90. In an urban environment 6 block isn't all that far to walk but it can make a world of difference in street noise and crime. I'm much happier where I am than I would be in the higher scoring address nearby. YMMV.

As Khan pointed out earlier, it is not the most refined product, in that it appears solely to measure the straight line distance to various amenities (regardless of intervening highways and such) and then uses an algorithm to assign a score. If I were looking for a new spot, I would use this as just one more data point, to be followed up by close investigation on the ground.

My hubby has our next housing location all picked out. Sidewalks and trails for 5 miles in any direction. Nice selection of stores and businesses all accessible (so long as no blizzard). He wont consider any other location unless I can show him the walkability. Have seen two sets of parents become increasingly isolated in old age and he wants to plan ahead.

Scored a zero. Closest amenities are a state park at 1.6 miles, a bar at 2.3 miles, and a Mcdonalds at 3.1 miles. Not exactly walk friendly.

55 out of 100. Not surprising since we walk to one of the parks, or the elementary school, library, community center or shops at least 1-2x per week. Excepting going to work and medical appointments, we could get by w/o a car just fine. And at least 2 public transit routes run w/in 10 minutes walking distance from the house if one were inclined to ride the bus.

Best of all is that we live on a lake surrounded by nature.

I got 68. But the site missed a Safeway 10 blocks away (although it showed the Starbucks inside the Safeway!). I don't know how they figure the score, since there are a gazillion stores within walking distance--hardware stores, grocery stores, drug stores, medical clinics, schools, library, music store, pet store, appliance store, gym, parks, movie theater, coffee shops, restaurants, public swimming pool, etc....
Maybe they don't expect you to walk more than 8 blocks or something.
I was disappointed, since I anticipated getting a score of 90...
rocketdog

Ours was a 26. However, the first grocery store they listed is closed. Also, the first library they listed was Dept of Energy. I don't think that they would be interested in lending me a book! The mileage did look too close on several things.

Well my old neighborhood in North Arlington got a 42 and my new neighborhood on the edge of the Town of Warrenton got a 34. However, both places are pretty convenient to everything. I don't walk to get groceries the 1.2 mile, not that I can't but the ice cream would melt on the way home. I think they all want you to live on top of each other. I don't have enough patience for that anymore. :rolleyes:

58 here. Yes, we have a grocery store within a mile, but it sucks. We usually wind up driving 30 miles every couple of weeks to stock up at a decent one.

My score is 6 out 100. But that's not a big surprise; I live in the country. I guess having a lake in your backyard has its negatives. I wouldn't trade for a score of 100 if I lived within twenty steps of my every commercial need and had no need for a car.

Mine was a 42 which surprised me since we do have a new grocery store about .25 miles away. Other stores are also being slowly built. The problem with my area are accessible sidewalks. Before the store opened, I had a vision of walking on a service road and thru parking lots to the store. Well, now that the store has opened, my "route" is more like a race track. I'm still close even if I don't walk very often.

89. Wonder if they know that I have to walk up a steep hill to get home from most of those places. I, too, would walk many blocks farther to get to better hangouts.

I feel like a real "zero" after reading all the above. Where we live in California now is a zero, and where we'll be moving in Texas next month (July actually) is a zero. I guess I'm condemned to a super-suburban lifestyle totally dependent on a two-mile walk (with sidewalks at least) to a major shopping center, a bike ride, or increasingly costly car trip.

I feel like a real "zero" after reading all the above. Where we live in California now is a zero, and where we'll be moving in Texas next month (July actually) is a zero. I guess I'm condemned to a super-suburban lifestyle totally dependent on a two-mile walk (with sidewalks at least) to a major shopping center, a bike ride, or increasingly costly car trip.
If you do decide to walk or ride your bike, watch out for scorpions, rattlesnakes, etc. And FYI, the temps have been running in the mid-70's - the lows that is. Highs in the upper 90's...and it's still Springtime! :)

About 16 miles east of you -- in downtown Issaquah.

One of the places on our list of possible places to eventually in the US! If I could live within walking distance of the Issaquah library, I would be in HEAVEN! And wouldn't mind working for KCLS, either...Quick question, Rita -- how is the traffic on Front Street these days? Has it improved much since they opened the new freeway exits up to the Plateau? If we did move there we would try to avoid using the car as much as possible, but it is still nice not to have to deal with too much congestion and traffic.

lhamo

One of the places on our list of possible places to eventually in the US! If I could live within walking distance of the Issaquah library, I would be in HEAVEN! And wouldn't mind working for KCLS, either...Quick question, Rita -- how is the traffic on Front Street these days? Has it improved much since they opened the new freeway exits up to the Plateau? If we did move there we would try to avoid using the car as much as possible, but it is still nice not to have to deal with too much congestion and traffic.

lhamo
Traffic is still nasty during commuting periods. The new freeway exits relieved some of the load on the Front St. freeway on ramps, but did nothing for the traffic on Front St through the old part of town. But still a really nice place to live.

-- Rita

My pad came in at 97. I made it to my early 30's before I broke down and bought my first car, and then only for weekend getaways. I wonder what you have to do to get 100??

My pad came in at 97. I made it to my early 30's before I broke down and bought my first car, and then only for weekend getaways. I wonder what you have to do to get 100??
If you don't feel too exposed, where are you? What neighborhood in what city?

If you get that walk score there are likely another million people within 20 blocks of where you live, so I think you can still retain your anonymity if that is what you like. :)

Overall, I do not get the point of a thread like this if no one knows where one's 0 or 50 or 98 is.

Ha

If you don't feel too exposed, where are you? What neighborhood in what city?

Hoboken, NJ

Hoboken for Singles video

Right across the river from NYC (we've got fabulous skyline views). It's really become somewhat of a borough of NY with easy subway and waterway access to the city. Clearly an urban environment (as I imagine all places that rank highly in 'walkability' are) but on a smaller scale then neighboring NY. Most of the buildings are 3-5 story brownstone-type with some larger buildings on the perimeter. The city has done a good job of developing the water front with a bike/walking path, nice parks, and street level restaurants. Pretty much everything we want is within a 5-10 minute walk. We like the city a lot.

Back
Top Bottom