2015 YTD investment performance thread

I don't get notice of my Jan dividends until tomorrow, so how can anyone know how they did in Jan 2015 without the divies?

Not sure what your brokerage account does, but what at least my on line brokerage does is as soon as a holding goes ex- dividend, the dividend amount is moved into an accrual account and balances reflect the accrual. The accrual is paid to cash and reversed on the day dividends are paid.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Not sure what your brokerage account does, but what at least my on line brokerage does is as soon as a holding goes ex- dividend, the dividend amount is moved into an accrual account and balances reflect the accrual. The accrual is paid to cash and reversed on the day dividends are paid.

Doesn't do that for stocks.

But the bond fund (and mutual fund) divies don't work that way as there isn't a declaration except for end of year, and that is an estimate. So you know once it is paid, which is usually the ex-div date anyway. But even that I can't download until the next morning.

Energy is gonna pop in Feb. These charts prove it.

Sector Performance by Calendar Month - CXO Advisory

:D

Vanguard tells me my stuff is up .014585482823188%.
But they can't tell me about my other stuff, so it could be higher or lower.

:LOL:
Now that Jan 2015 has closed, we are +.21%. That is due to REIT and some new Roth contributions. Return was essentially flat.

I see that S&P has dipped below the 2000 level.

Return of - 0.13% (per annum) YTD but it is really silly to evaluate anything based on a month (or even a year). No changes planned. Stay the course.

True, true. From the start of this thread (presuming the posts on the 28th were based on 27th close), the S&P as gone down 1.3%, then up 1% and then down 1.3%...and most of the portfolio results reported are a fraction of a percent one way or the other. :facepalm:

All that being said, I'm down in an amount in the very low quadruple digits after the close yesterday (Friday). That's in USD. I reported it that way because I'm not sure my calculator would have enough significant digits to report a percentage. :LOL:

Down 1.2% on a 75/25 allocation. White caps on the water and a bit windy....stay the course.

Down 1.2% on a 75/25 allocation. White caps on the water and a bit windy....stay the course.

Aye aye Cap't, but getting real tired of this sideways stuff. Been going on since what? September?

Seems that if I only checked my balances on Wednesdays I'd be thinking that I'm way ahead...then Friday comes and deflates me more than a Patriots football!

+2.57%

On cost of living, Mxn peso is dropping like a rock, so my "living" withdrawals are giving me a 10-15% reduction. Rent went from $538 to $467 (I pay in pesos) in the past couple months. I'm taking a bunch more out for a lock in COL for a few months or so.

So far, inflation is nil for my personal costs. Rent is fixed, groceries haven't gone up much & fuel is a set price by to gubment. Leaving for Europe on Sunday...exchange rate will help us there as well.

Down about 1%, S&P is down 3%+ so that's ok by me.

We're down around 0.6% for Jan, but 4 days earlier we were up 0.4% for the year, so it's hard to pay any attention to the noise.

I am up slightly in January, annualized return just over 7.25%.

I don't know if I'm up or down but I think I have enough

Our investment mix is, I think, different than most who post on this forum. We have 43% stocks, the rest bonds. However, starting a little last April, then a bunch more in September we moved about 1/3 of our bonds into Vanguard BLV. These are long term bonds, and they've done well. YTD, we're up about 1 1/2% over all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Our investment mix is, I think, different than most who post on this forum. We have 43% stocks, the rest bonds. However, starting a little last April, then a bunch more in September we moved about 1/3 of our bonds into Vanguard BLV. These are long term bonds, and they've done well. YTD, we're up about 1 1/2% over all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That was a gutsy move. What inspired it?

Down 1.3%; we have a fair amount of international exposure.

The ADR for the stock in my Switzerland-based former employer did nicely. Too bad we have only $4K in it!

Down 1.3%; we have a fair amount of international exposure.

The ADR for the stock in my Switzerland-based former employer did nicely. Too bad we have only $4K in it!
Interesting - my international funds are up for the year.

Seriously!

I added to most of my international funds on Jan 2, and they as a group are up 0.5% for the year since, which is way better than the other (US) equity funds, which are all down (except for REITs). My worst performing asset class is US large value.

Last edited:
Down .03% after Friday's close.

I added to most of my international funds on Jan 2, and they as a group are up 0.5% for the year since, which is way better than the other (US) equity funds, which are all down (except for REITs). My worst performing asset class is US large value.
My international is also adding to the total so far this year. Last year I added a hedged European investment, which is outperforming everything else, and I'm thinking of adding to it.

Last edited:
Down 2.7% since first of the year.
Down 11.7% since peak on 1 Sept 2014. This is a big bite for us. Fortunately, we turned a large fraction to cash before the big drop to have cash to pay for backdoor Roths.
I am turning lemons into lemonade by doing a backdoor Roth with the big losers (O&G). I have confidence that oil will return to expensive some day. I hope I live that long.

I shoulda stood in bed.

Down 0.4% for Jan. No changes planned except normal adjustments during our annual rebalance/generate cash 2015's IRA withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom