2015 YTD investment performance thread

I said I'd probably wait till 2016 to post performance and I will at year-end over in LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter (the home of my "fund-of-funds", aka STLYX*).

To fulfill my promise here, it returned 3.6% in Q1.

Last edited:
Think I'm lagging the rest of you. 401K personal perf (excluding contributions): 1.95% YTD. 62/38 ish mix. Diversified Real Asset fund has been a dud thus far.

Looks normal return to me given where the market is.

For Q1 2015 plus 13.9% on a time weighted return basis for the quarter only not including and additional deposits but inclusive of dividends, margin interest and brokerage fees.

Still not back to my high point of November, 2014 and negative spike experienced on 'Black Friday' due to Saudi decision not to reduce production / resultant crash in oil stocks, where I was overweighted.

Primary reason for over performance vs. S&P 500 in Q1 was overweight position in AAPL.

Current book:

AAPL
APC
CMI
GILD
BAC
PXD
GPRO
Long BHI / Short HAL merger arbitrage combination.
Short various out of the money call options on the above.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For Q1 2015 plus 13.9% on a time weighted return basis for the quarter only not including and additional deposits but inclusive of dividends, margin interest and brokerage fees.
So divide by 4 or about 3.5%.

No 13.9% is for just the quarter. Annualized over 50% if the portfolio continues to advance at this pace.

If I can do that every quarter, I'd kiss goodbye to my OMY.

I know I had exactly 1.7 million in invest-able assets about 4 years ago. I also know I have today plus and minus 50k 3.22 million in invest-able assets.
I don't look at 3 months results because it makes no sense...... I think I made about 2% last 3 months but do not quote me on it.

But you can quote me on making 90% in last 48 months.

Last edited:
If I can do that every quarter, I'd kiss goodbye to my OMY.

Only if you can afford the taxman !

The Feds seem to want either 23.8 % or 43.4% depending on whether you book long or short term gains and the % based on the top marginal rate plus 3.8% ACA surcharge.

By comparison, Tony Soprano's crew only had to kick up 15% !

Last edited:
I'll be very surprised if my annual return crosses the 2015 finish line at 14+%. If it adds another 2.4% for the remainder of the year, it'll meet my hopes.

Last edited:
My 401k did 8.87%. Two thirds of that money's in a private fund. The other thirds in Vanguard total stock and total bond. Guess which did the heavy lifting.

My Fidelity Brokerage, Rollover IRA and Roth combined @4.05%.

If only I was this smart/lucky every year.

Added: congratulations to eta2020, very well done.

Nominally a 68 stocks : 32 bonds portfolio. UK based so UK shares are my home equity allocation. Up 5.8% for the 1st quarter.

2015 YTD (end of month 3) - 2.8%

AA: 58-39-3 (Stk Bnd Csh)

[EOY Previous / (Current Balance - New Contributions)] - 1

Edit:
I pulled a chart of Vanguard index holdings. This is not everything, but gives clear indication of what's up, YTD.

International, US REIT, Small/Mid US all up YTD.

Surprise in these results is Vanguard Star up 2.92% YTD.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
401K Up 1% as of 4/2/2015. 85% Stable Value 15% equities. I'd be happy with 4% annual.

Only 2.1%, with a 36% cash position thats waiting for a correction or worse.

Per M* portfolio manager tool, + 0.79 total return YTD

AA = 43/53/4

Energy and 3D printing tech company stocks (a recent purchase) are the heaviest anchors.

The Feds seem to want either 23.8 % or 43.4% depending on whether you book long or short term gains and the % based on the top marginal rate plus 3.8% ACA surcharge.

Whaaaat? I need to rethink my strategy of complementing my ER income with short term trading. I haven't checked very closely on capital gain taxes - just left Turbo Tax to do the calculation.

I did a lot of short term trading in 2014 and it came back to bite me on the butt, come tax time. I'm only in the 25% marginal bracket, and overall, my total federal tax bill was only about 11.7% of AGI. But, it was still a shock, when I found out just how much I still had to cough up. I usually owe about $2-3K on federal taxes, and usually get back around $500-1000 on the state/local. But this time around, the bill was around $8500 for federal and $2200 state/local!

I'm trying to chill out on the short term stuff this year.

I do practically no trading. If I don't want Index ETF XYZ to own on forever bases I do not buy it.

Hence for me last decade is adding to my positions in broad based Index ETFs. 100% equities.

I find investing to be more of the self control then some kind of financial smarts.

2.05% as of 3/31/15 -
AA is 70/30 -
All mutual funds -
About 30% S&P index -
A couple of Moderate Allocation funds -
A few other active managed funds -

By comparison, Tony Soprano's crew only had to kick up 15% !

Add in state tax and you might be over 50%. Kind of makes trading a sucker's game huh? 100% of the risk, 50% of the profit.

0.38%. 70-25-5.

Back
Top Bottom