2015 YTD investment performance thread

YTD minus 1.63% based on time weighted return including fees, margin interest and dividends but not any deposits or withdrawals.

Sounds plain vanilla but I was up 14%+ in the first quarter and had a few periods where I was up 20%+ for the year.

What is not working - AAPL since their last earnings report and all the energy names.

It's amazing so many posts with returns better than the S&P 500! :cool:

Yeah, pretty amazing. The equity portion of my portfolio is dominated by a low cost TSM index fund and overall has a 55/40/5 (approx) AA. That leaves me well below the S and P 500 performance YTD.

Last edited:
YTD up 5.9%. Was up 7.1% the start of the week, until my FOX and DIS positions have gotten crushed. Buying more FOX and DIS on the open.

Last edited:
I'm at +3.1% YTD. My AA is 60/40 so I use Vanguard Wellington as my benchmark. VWENX is +2.1% YTD so I'm feeling good about my performance so far.

IMO you can't really use Welly as a benchmark nowadays because it's 100% US, I think the Vanguard Moderate Lifestrategy fund is much better (even though it's all indexes). Welly, even though it's an active fund, is really not a good measure of the total picture if you have a diversified portfolio.

Last edited:
YTD: 8.19%
1 yr: 14.39%
3 yr(annualized): 21.03%
5 yr(annualized): 17.3%

40% in individual stock
16% bonds
the rest in various stock index funds

As of 7/31/2015. Fidelity just posted. The S&P was at 3.35%. So I beat it with indexes, mostly by dollar cost averaging.

After tax account 4.69% (cash, IVV, IVW,DVY,PFG)
Rollover IRA 6.58% (IVW)
Roth 6.32% (IVW, IWM, QQQ, FHLC,GLD)
Combined 5.43%

401K - 4.02% (VIIIX,VEMPX,VDIPX)

Mostly all indexes. Buy on dips if I can, regular buys every month.

Down just a little over 3% YTD as of today. Not pretty, but own a little too much of CVX. So not horrible considering........

Gotta wait until tomorrow since today's most interesting numbers aren't showing up on the web sites yet.

Similar here... down 1.6%. That is comparing today's value + YTD transfers to checking for living expenses to beginning of year value so effectively the YTD change in the value of our retirement funds if we had not taken any withdrawals.

Down just a little over 3% YTD as of today. Not pretty, but own a little too much of CVX. So not horrible considering........

Same here, but because of overweight in EM and some material stocks. Sold most of them recently.

Up 3% collectively, as preferreds stocks which is 75% of my funds are doing well. VTSAX which is the other 25% is dragging me down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up 3% collectively, as preferreds stocks which is 75% of my funds are doing well. VTSAX which is the other 25% is dragging me down.

How can preferred stocks be quite such a free lunch? Up when the market is up and up when the market is down.

If they perform like that, why don't people go heavily leveraged into them?

Investors looking for reliable dividends? Among the stocks still positive for the year are utilities and REITs, not just preferreds. They are way off their high, but remain positive for the year.

Today, they are down too, but about -1%, compared to the S&P at -3.19%.

so far my fidelity blue chip growth and contra are still up ytd .

Wouldn't this thread be more interesting if both your high and low for the year were posted? This would give an indication of the portfolio's beta.

I don't grab a snapshot every day, but on 2/26 I was up 3.5% for the year and as of yesterday, down 3.1% for the year. Like I said, "easy come, easy go". I don't have a way to do IRR by asset class, but that might be an interesting new project.

As of 8/21, breakeven for the taxable accounts. +0.3% for the deferred accounts.

How can preferred stocks be quite such a free lunch? Up when the market is up and up when the market is down.

If they perform like that, why don't people go heavily leveraged into them?

Well long term nothing can be a 100% free lunch. If 10 year treasury jumped to 6% Im sure they would feel some major pressure (Im not worried about that). But you need to remember an investment grade preferred yielding 6.5% that has a 70 year history of paying their dividend is not going to be tossed out along with everything else in the market. These are also illiquid meaning people buy them and stuff them in the vault. In fact four of them I own didn't even trade a share yesterday. The utility preferreds aren't trading vehicles because they are too hard to accumulate. You cant leverage yourself into a 12 million dollar issue; mutual funds, etfs, etc cant buy into them. Now those bank preferreds ETFs such as PFF are liquid, but I have no use for them and will not buy them.

Yeah, pretty amazing. The equity portion of my portfolio is dominated by a low cost TSM index fund and overall has a 55/40/5 (approx) AA. That leaves me well below the S and P 500 performance YTD.

I am negative as well.
Yup it is amazing how many people here beat the market.

Negative, in the upper single digits.
My energy holdings, which make up close to one quarter of my portfolio, have been a boat anchor. Still sitting on a lot of cash.

Last edited:
... These are also illiquid meaning people buy them and stuff them in the vault. In fact four of them I own didn't even trade a share yesterday.

Sounds like you might not have a solid gauge on the true value drop last few days.

Sounds like you might not have a solid gauge on the true value drop last few days.

The ask prices of these have went up a bit the last week corresponding with long end rates dropping. These will trade more in line with the long end of bonds but in a very narrow range. I invest in what I call "yield trapped" utility preferreds. The ones I own were issued between 25-50 years ago. When issued their yields were only a few hundred basis points above 10 year. Now they have spread to 400 making them rather insulated. Why? Because they are past call issues (long past call, though utilities have shown no desire to call them). They should be trading higher but cant be bid too far above par for fear of a call. They cant drop much because their yield is already very high compared to traditional spread. You have to understand these things just dont move much anytime.
Take CNLPL one of my issues. During the depths of the financial crisis in 08-09, this $50 par preferred "collapsed" all the way down to around $44. Utility preferreds react way differently than bank preferreds which collapsed during that crisis. If you check a 10 year price chart of CNLPL you will see what I mean. This is not a capital appreciation stock, its a collect the 6% plus dividend every three months and move on. It has been doing that since 1968.

Wouldn't this thread be more interesting if both your high and low for the year were posted? This would give an indication of the portfolio's beta.

I don't grab a snapshot every day, but on 2/26 I was up 3.5% for the year and as of yesterday, down 3.1% for the year. Like I said, "easy come, easy go". I don't have a way to do IRR by asset class, but that might be an interesting new project.

The highest I reported in this thread was end of May. I'm pretty sure I had a higher return at some point this year but cant remember when it was so I'll use end of May.

End of May...+3.5%
Now...-1.9%

My benchmark is Wellington

End of May...+2.3%
Now............-1.8%

Significant out-performance on the upside and very close on the down side so far. Makes me happy....or as happy as you can be when you're losing money.

Back
Top Bottom