2015 YTD investment performance thread

Net gain for the year of 0.83%. That's fine in that my AA under-performed a little last year.

Looking at my super-duper, inflation-proof, recession-proof, but apparently not fool-proof dividend portfolio with no new money coming in except for whatever the portfolio generated and no money withdrawn, it finished down .995. Not too bad considering who was managing the portfolio.

Edit: using an on-line calculator it seems that the portfolio was actually down 0.42%

Edit again: My benchmark this year was the Thai Bhat (which I may have beaten).

Last edited:
-0.8% for an 80/20 AA. Overall portfolio is +7.2%, since I'm still working and saving.

Up 0.74% for the year. This is slightly better than a 60/40 benchmark of VTI/BND, which was up 0.44%.

Investment real estate was the best performing asset class, by far. I was also pleasantly surprised by municipal bonds, up 2.9%. Downside included international emerging markets, a high-dividend ETF that is overweight energy/utilities, and high-yield corporate bonds.

Yeah, don't believe the financial news outlets when they say stuff like

They always ignore the >2% dividend yield of the S&P500.

Question: if you also adjust the prior year 2014 ending SP500 value that they use to derive their .73 percent drop... by the same 2 percent approximate dividend yield that was achieved in 2014...such that both 2014 and 2015 are apples to apples, I think the actual year over year return is still a loss of slightly less than - 1 pct.

Then of course, for the purists, be sure to take off ~2 percent for approximate inflation and you're at a real -2% loss in 2015...

Last edited:
Question: if you also adjust the prior year 2014 ending SP500 value that they use to derive their .73 percent drop... by the same 2 percent approximate dividend yield that was achieved in 2014...such that both 2014 and 2015 are apples to apples, I think the actual year over year return is still a loss of slightly less than - 1 pct.

Then of course, for the purists, be sure to take off ~2 percent for approximate inflation and you're at a real -2% loss in 2015...

Total return doesn't work that way. The dividend yield is earned throughout the year. Morningstar gives some pretty good total return benchmark data, http://quicktake.morningstar.com/index/IndexCharts.aspx?Symbol=SPX or you can check the Vanguard S&P500 index with the lowest ER.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't believe the financial news outlets when they say stuff like
They always ignore the >2% dividend yield of the S&P500.

I'm not sure you asked a question, but if you did, you might consider asking it of a person closer to your age.:(

First year to date actually paying attention (aka "awake"):
Total investments performance -0.65%
Total investments increase 11.25% (in accumulation)

Quicken shows 2.5% increase in net worth (excluding house, cars, etc).
Not sure how to calculate investment return due to contributions, conversions etc?

If you track your investments in Quicken, just do a performance report for last year.

Rental property: + 5%, Fixed income: +2.2%, Equities: - 3.2%

Finished 2015 for a performance of +1.39% across all accounts.

Hurt by Energy sector primarily; took large losses in energy stocks, bonds & MLPs. Income issues, mostly Preferred stock and ETDs, helped offset energy losses.

That was my observation as well. That's something the news outlets ignore ever so completely when they report investment results. The economic system grinds this tax out of a subset of the population: those that have a positive net worth.

If I add back to our portfolio what we withdrew this year, the total equals our portfolio balance on January 1, 2015. Return of 0.0%.
That's the same calculation I do...the balance of all accounts right now plus what we spent this year and compared it to 12 months ago. I also do an IRR for each position and aggregate that, which is more accurate, but I usually wait for the year-end statements to roll-in for that.

The result: -1.1% for the year (nominal).

I'm still up 7.4% (nominal) since I quit 2 years ago. I'd be plenty happy if every two year span could be as good as the last two. Which got me thinking...I bet there were a 'report your 2 year return' thread, they'd be be less disperse since maybe bigger downs would be paired with bigger ups. Also, reporting on the single year probably brings some bias, since I'm more likely to post if I have something to brag about, hehe!

Up .053%, two basically flat years to start my retirement/withdrawl sequence of returns.

Up 4.25% for me. Up 4.15% for my husband. I think I reported it wrong earlier because I've looked in the wrong account.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am pretty sure that I have my final computations done. No more estimating!

If I add back to our portfolio what we withdrew this year, the total equals our portfolio balance on January 1, 2015. Return of 0.0%.

If I add back to my portfolio what I withdrew this year, the total is up 3.4% compared with one year ago. :dance:

But, there was this teeny tiny little itsy bitsy detail :rolleyes: - - something about, er, buying my dream house in cash, selling my other, lesser house, and moving? that just messes up things in my case. :blush: So, if I don't add back in, it's down 6.1%. :banghead: This is due to using my portfolio to live on, plus expenses of buying/selling/moving, plus market conditions.

Honestly that is nothing compared with what 2008 did to most of us. Or so I keep telling myself. Good thing this won't happen every year.

Touché old timer !! Have a prosperous 2016

I think it's illegal to touché an old timer. But, maybe it depends on where you actually touché him or her (especially her).

That said, have a prosperous 2016 yourself, kid.:)

Down (4.20%), DWRR. I suck.

Better start spending more before I lose it all.

Wait until next year.

Down 0.59% for the year, which is in-line with my benchmark VSMGX Lifestrategy Moderate Growth Fund which lost 0.57% (60/40 AA, int'l diversification on both stocks and bonds).

VWENX Wellington only returned 0.14% and is my US active fund benchmark, so not too far off there either. A meh year overall.

Last edited:
Our portfolio ended the year up 0.1%, compared with our benchmark which declined 2.4%.

Down 2.5%, largely due to the collapse in energy stocks and a hefty chunk of foreign equities that suffered from the rise of the dollar. Here's to a better 2016.

Up 0.23% on a AA of 25/15/60... Working on getting back to a AA of 60/30/10. Hope for some good buying opportunities in 2016 :)...

Up 0.23% on a AA of 25/15/60... Working on getting back to a AA of 60/30/10. Hope for some good buying opportunities in 2016 :)...

Up about .4%--got hit by energy and EM/Foreign, like Gumby. But I'll take it.

Back
Top Bottom