2017 YTD investment performance thread

3.88% YTD as of this morning. Judging by how the markets are responding to Trump's speech It might exceed 4% tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
As of last nite's close, I'm up around 6.4%...not bad at all for 2 months! And that's rate of return, not including additional investments. Add in additional investments, I'm "only" up 5.9%, because I pulled some out back in January to pay down the mortgage.

And hopefully I'm not going to jinx it by saying this, but, in dollar amounts, 2017 is already my 6th best year ever! Now, I've only been seriously investing since 1999, so my record doesn't go back *that* far, but still, it's nice to see the power of compounding.

FWIW, my best years were, in order:
2013: up 23.1% (had sold off some assets to pay down the mortgage and other things, so it would have been better if I let it ride)
2009: up 44.7% (but bouncing off the Great Recession, so with that in mind, not so great)
2012: up 15.9%
2010: up 19.8%
2016: up 8.3% (not so hot on a percentage basis, but by this time my net worth had grown enough that it was still a decent amount).

Actually, if I can make more than 15.1% for 2017 as a whole, it'll put this year at #1, on a dollar gain basis. That actually sounds doable...but again, hopefully I didn't just turn this into a "WHEEEEEE!!" moment! :facepalm:

Last edited:
OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

54/41/5

Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

3.94% as of tonight.

I picked up 1.1% today. YTD gain now is 6.1%.

Pretty darn good for holding a big wad of cash in the portfolio. Stock AA is now 65%.

3.75% YTD through 2/28/2017... a good start for the year, but only 2 months so it would be a little premature to get too excited.

Wow. Updated for today's action... now is 4.47%. The increase is close to the 1.37% increase in the S&P 500 for the day times 60% so the increase seems sensible.

I have been rebalancing more often than normal into the rally to keep cash up giving upcoming wedding costs later this year.

4.4% YTD at the start of this month. Wellesley and REIT at 2.14% and 2.12% are dragging an otherwise average of 5.9% between my other funds down a bit.

Interestingly my yearly return over the last decade averages 12.4%. According to Vanguard, anyway.

About 5%, after a quick glance. Not too bad considering I'm in a lot of cash, but I'm embarrassed to say exactly how much. It helps to invest in biotech funds.

Taxable Brokerage Account: +5.23%
IRA: +0.38%

My IRA has been killed by the Under Armour shares bought in late 2016 :facepalm:
But it could be worse. The taxable account is about 540 K & the IRA is only about 40

The Mar 1 rally goosed the retirement portfolio return YTD all the way up to 3.52%. The following selloff brought it down to 3.13% on Friday.

+5.81% YTD
Cash, bonds, and foreign investments keeping my returns below the S&P this year so far, but that's the price of diversification sometimes.

YTD (March 4, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds:

3.85% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
3.64% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020
4.05% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index
3.64% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I
4.15% VWENX Vg Wellington
4.10% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025

YTD (March 4, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds:

3.85% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
3.64% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020
4.05% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index
3.64% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I
4.15% VWENX Vg Wellington
4.10% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025

Looks about right, overall with my 60/37/3 doing right at 3.76% overall. Like stated before, Wellesley is bringing this down. I am tracking at 58% of the YTD S&P return, carrying the bonds at a slight negative return that offsets the 60% equity returns (w/o div:() to capture only 58% of that index. Oh what we pay for being able to sleep.:rolleyes:

What goes up, better darned well stay up .. except when it doesn't

• Index flat as of today
  • Individual +3%, including cash drag
  • Emerging market tracker: +9%

A pretty minor movement, itself a deviation from the party-returns we've seen the last few years.

YTD just under 4% all in including cash. AA approximately 60/35/5.

So, I closed the first trimester of 2017 with a gain of 5.49%, calculated over every account, including the last penny in the checking account.

Reasonably happy with it, considering that I am only 66% in equities, with much of the rest in cash. The S&P is up 6.37% for the period, and I got 86% of that gain.

It may just evaporate next week, but so far so good.

My IRA is still 5%, but my taxable account is a lot higher. I'm surprised by my stocks picking ability.

YTD return as of 3/31 is ~0.1% with asset allocation of 85% equities /15% fixed assets. Includes all liquid assets including living expense funds. Accounts for adds/removes from portfolio except for some dividends that I'll figure out when account statements come out, won't change the result much. Return was driven by losses in energy sector assets (dropped 8 to 10%) which were then offset by gains in the rest of the assets, lead by the only new asset purchased this year (Vanguard health care fund purchased in late Jan up 12.7%).

pb4uski said:
3.75% YTD through 2/28/2017... a good start for the year, but only 2 months so it would be a little premature to get too excited.

4.63% YTD based on XIRR of beginning balance, withdrawals, cash dividends and ending balance using a 12/31/2017 date. AA of 65/35/5.

I have been rebalancing more often than normal into the rally to keep cash up giving upcoming wedding costs later this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom