2018 YTD investment performance thread

Using MoneyChimp, with no new money coming in (except for dividends) and with no money being taken out, my Dividend Portfolio is -3.19% for the year.

Using MoneyChimp, with no new money coming in (except for dividends) and with no money being taken out, my Dividend Portfolio is -3.19% for the year.

Then, you must either have a source of income such as SS/pension, or have another pot of money not included in the return calculation.

In contrast with some people here, I include every penny I have in all accounts. The reason is that I do include all the cash in my AA calculation.

Knowing that I have all that cash put aside, I am able to run some of my tax-deferred accounts to a fairly high stock allocation. If I did not count the cash that is not invested, I would fool myself that I had a wonderful return when the market goes up.

In contrast with some people here, I include every penny I have in all accounts. The reason is that I do include all the cash in my AA calculation.

Knowing that I have all that cash put aside, I am able to run some of my tax-deferred accounts to a fairly high stock allocation. If I did not count the cash that is not invested, I would fool myself that I had a wonderful return when the market goes up.

I do the same, and account for the outflow using the simple calculation I think pb4uski posted a while back. Not perfect, but a good indicator.

FWIW, the cash/cd's is what kept my return only slightly negative. Of course it is a drag on the up side, but it is the best way to get the whole picture.

The above is my just my dividend portfolio, which is minus 3.19% so far this year. Yes, the cash in there is included in the totals--at least this quarter is was. I do collect SS. There is no pension. I am required to take out an RMD, but, it doesn't come out of the dividend portfolio, it comes out of my SEP-IRA. I also have two other accounts, one of which I took a bit of money from for the first time last year. I usually don't keep a close track on my investment total --and, did not this quarter.

.... In contrast with some people here, I include every penny I have in all accounts. The reason is that I do include all the cash in my AA calculation. ....

I exclude my local bank accounts which typically have $5-20k in them and earn not much of anything... but similarly I don't include those when rebalancing... if I included my local bank account then I might start thinking that I should also include my credit card balances of $0-3k (as a negative). Those local bank accounts and my credit card balances are my equivalent of working capital.

The result would not be different enough to bother with.

Stocks and bonds up 0.5% for the year (39/38/23 AA). It helps that the vast majority of my bonds are in a stable value bond fund that is up 0.75% YTD.

I exclude my local bank accounts which typically have $5-20k in them and earn not much of anything... but similarly I don't include those when rebalancing... if I included my local bank account then I might start thinking that I should also include my credit card balances of $0-3k (as a negative). Those local bank accounts and my credit card balances are my equivalent of working capital.

The result would not be different enough to bother with.
As I use Quicken to do accounting for both expenses and investments, I set it up to have everything including the bank accounts and credit cards. It would take work to exclude them.

Hence, all the cash in banking accounts, I-bonds, 401k stable value fund, and also the outstanding CC balances are included in the bottom line, which I use to get my networth minus real estate.

When I ask Quicken to show the AA, everything is included the same way.

PS. Oops. I don't think the bank accounts and credit cards are included in the AA. They only show up in the total networth.

.... PS. Oops. I don't think the bank accounts and credit cards are included in the AA. They only show up in the total networth.

That is the way it works on Quicken for me. "Investment" accounts (taxable, tax-deferred, tax-free) showup in my investments and are what I manage AA to and look at returns. Local savings and checking and credit cards are in "Banking" and I ignore those.

For fun, I added the bank and credit card accounts in and recomputed the YTD return... it changed from 0.09% to 0.10% :dance:

Barely up at 0.19%. Thanks God that Feb is over. Hope to see a better month ahead.

Down 0.51%. I didn't see a better month as I hoped. But given the last few years' stock performance, it is not too surprising that the market is retreating. Let's see what April brings.

My best performer YTD is FBSOX (IT related). My worst one is FSCHX (energy related).

Last edited:
1st quarter 2018 is in the books.
I'm at +.28% for the quarter. I use a 65%/35% portfolio with
tilts towards SCV and emerging markets. Considering how good the first
few weeks of the year were, It's a little disappointing but not unexpected.

I checked my accounts this weekend to make sure the quarterly dividends
all got reinvested. My automatic quarterly rebalance happens on Monday.

Onward to the 2nd quarter. I'm going to intentionally ignore my accounts
until end of June.

I exclude my local bank accounts which typically have $5-20k in them and earn not much of anything... but similarly I don't include those when rebalancing...
When I say "all-in" I'm including everything in my asset allocation calculation and that includes everything "of significance". "Insignificant" things are those where the balance fluctuates or stays below $1K. So that includes credit cards debt and DW's spending account.

I'm minus 1.7% YTD, or minus 2.9% excluding new money. I'm from the UK, where the FTSE100 is down 8.2% for the year to date, so my diversification into international markets and other asset types has paid off.

YTD - Down 0.004%
AA 60/40
Helps that most "bonds" are TIAA Stable Value, and
RE is mainly TIAA Real Estate rather than REITS

YTD FEB 2018 Investments Summary (target: 52 Equity / 43 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 0.28% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 0.87%.
From 02/01/2018 to 02/28/2018
  • -0.44% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 1.94% American Funds New World R6 Fund
Overall increase from previous month
  • -2.56% (not XIRR)
Overall increase for 2018 (includes add'l contributions)
  • 00.16% (not XIRR)
Approximately one year to go. Now have a few investments that need re-balancing, which will happen with new contributions to Roth-IRA and 401(k).
Not worth looking at end of first quarter!

-0.65% - YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.

+0.34% - Overall increase for March 2018 (includes add'l contributions and cash increases)

As of 3-30-18, up .6%

I think I was up around 0.6% at the end of March. Last time I added the figures, on April 5, I managed to claw up to around 1.1%. I'm sure yesterday's little hiccup left me negative to the year though.

Our index fund accounts are doing pretty crappy, to the point where I am wondering what you guys are doing differently. We are invested in Vanguard stock market index funds and are down some 3.5% YTD.

Now my trading account is a totally different story. We are pretty much retiring on that one $100,000 account, having withdrawn $130,000 from it over the past three years. This year that account is up $41,000, or just at 41% and I am starting to fret over how much ACA subsidy I am going to have to pay back. I had to pay back $600 from last year just now (finally did taxes for 2017). The downside to active trading is everything is taxed at ordinary income (very hard to hold more than a month or two much less a full year).

If you combine the trading account plus our regular stock market index fund retirement accounts, we are up about 2% YTD. I guess we need more bonds.

-0.57%....... 60/40 with 20% international end of Q1.

Our index fund accounts are doing pretty crappy, to the point where I am wondering what you guys are doing differently. We are invested in Vanguard stock market index funds and are down some 3.5% YTD.

Now my trading account is a totally different story. We are pretty much retiring on that one $100,000 account, having withdrawn $130,000 from it over the past three years. This year that account is up $41,000, or just at 41% and I am starting to fret over how much ACA subsidy I am going to have to pay back. I had to pay back $600 from last year just now (finally did taxes for 2017). The downside to active trading is everything is taxed at ordinary income (very hard to hold more than a month or two much less a full year).

If you combine the trading account plus our regular stock market index fund retirement accounts, we are up about 2% YTD. I guess we need more bonds.

My mutual funds are offered at no-load, meaning no sales charge is deducted from your investment. This helps in a big way.

Our index fund accounts are doing pretty crappy, to the point where I am wondering what you guys are doing differently.

Let me comfort you in 'misery':

• Index tracker world: -4.3%
  • Index tracker non-US: 0%
  • Individual stock account, incl. cash drag: +1.4%

All accounts in EUR, total return since Jan. 1st 2018.

Back
Top Bottom