All Together now,,Gas is Cheap!!

Martha said:
My hypothesis is that guns are a way of showing dominence and power.   

My hypothesis is that becoming an attorney is a way of showing
dominance and power.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
It makes sense though.  If the bad guys can't tell who is "packin' heat"
it's bound to make them think twice.

JG
Trouble is, so many of the bad guys are not capable of thinking once let alone twice.
Education system is letting us down again :(

flipstress said:
Yes, I got one similar to that last year for my birthday. Maybe I'll buy a second one to have more balance on the bike. But even two of them would not let me carry a gun case of beer in them.

Here are the bag dimensions
Length --------- 12-1/4"
Height --------- 10"
Width ---------- 8-1/2"
I think 1 bag could handle the volume but maybe not the weight but I'm sure 2 would have no problem.

Skol

MRGALT2U said:
It makes sense though.  If the bad guys can't tell who is "packin' heat"

JG

So following your logic, premubaly the safest place on planet is the middle of a drug ghetto where everyone carries a gun. The problem, in civilian terms, of the pro-gun "Mutual Assured Destruction" Theory is that it is completely wrong. As a principle it is fundamentally flawed.

Honkie said:
The problem, in civilian terms, of the pro-gun "Mutual Assured Destruction" Theory is that it is completely wrong. As a principle it is fundamentally flawed.
Maybe it doesn't work so well with guns, but MAD worked pretty well with nuclear weapons for about 40 years.

Or maybe it was Dr. Strangelove. ("Hey! No fighting in the War Room!")

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Martha, you spelled 'dominence' wrong.
1. Correcting your spouse's spelling.
2. Correcting it in public.
3. Correcting anything about your spouse, in public OR in private.

Just how long have you been married, "Apocalypse"? (Quite the apt poster handle in this context.) And how much longer do you care to go on living? I guess Martha doesn't own a gun (because you still seem to be posting) but I'm sure she knows a lot of financially desperate gun owners who'll go to great lengths for cash...

Even Trombone Al wouldn't correct his spouse's spelling!

Well - unlike cheap gas or energy independance:

Down here guns have invalidated many a pre-nup.

Several of which have made the papers in recent years - involving rich people like they often do.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

Gas and guns - :confused:? I believe the Air Force persued a gas powered gatling gun many years ago parallel with caseless ammo R&D.

Nords said:
Maybe it doesn't work so well with guns, but MAD worked pretty well with nuclear weapons for about 40 years.

MAD did work for Nuclear weapons for precisely the same reason that it won't work with guns.

Nords:

We also had a big fight about Monte Carlo simulations, some problem about how I was managing the stock portfolio. She called me Hokas twice. Is this bad?

--Greg

MRGALT2U said:
. . . If the bad guys can't tell who is "packin' heat"

JG
Have you ever watched one of those reality cop shows? I'm not sure what the criminals are thinking when they do the stupid things they do, but I'm pretty sure they aren't balancing their chances of getting away with their crimes based on the gun ownership of the people they interact with. :D :D :D

Then there is the fact that a gun in a home is far more likely to be used on a resident of the home than on an intruder.

No . . . you may want to believe that forced gun ownership is a good idea, but there is no logical reason, based on actual statistics, to come to that conclusion. ;)

Guns, Gas :confused: Oh well, we digress.

My opinion of guns is pretty much like George Carlin's, take a look at the shape of a gun. Be immaginative. And as for the NRA, just a bunch of old guys saying mine bigger than yours....

SWR

That and the flip side 'I ain't scared of nothing.'

Anyone catch the tv ad of the diminutive little sweetie driving her big yellow Hummer thru the city.

Hmmm - wonder if she has a 357 or 9mm in the glove box.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

Passing a law requiring people to pack a weapon. That's so ridiculous it's almost amusing. I'm guessing it was passed by the same people who use the word 'freedom' in every sentence, but have never thought about what freedom actually is.

Let's see--if it's an infringement of my freedom to not let me pack a weapon and drill every punk I see on the street, then it must be freedom extrordinaire to require everyone to carry a gun. Yah, that's logical!

I don't suppose it ever occured to these people that freedom to carry a gun also, of necessity, implies freedom to NOT carry a gun. Otherwise nobody has any freedom in that particular matter. Kinda abstract for that crowd I guess.

Next up will be a law requiring people to exercise "free speech." Oh, sorry, forgot, there already is one. It's called mandatory reciting of the pledge of allegiance.

Bosco

Yep

Just about as stupid as telling me I have to buckle up or I can't drive with a drink in my hand - beer used to be considered 'food' down here until the dam stinking Federals got involved - bribing/threatening states with the fed funds carrot/stick.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

So where is this mythical Florida county--a few hundred miles west of Atlantis?

tozz said:
So where is this mythical Florida county--a few hundred miles west of Atlantis?
From a little bit of googling, I believe the references above refer to Downers Grove, IL -- the city that outlawed guns, and Kennisaw, GA -- the city that required them.

Of course the neo-con press followed up on the action in Kennisaw and claim it helped crime.

From the neo-cons:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n15_v46/ai_15729634

I couldn't really find anything from a balanced press source -- probably because both actions are only symbolic. :) :) :)

tozz said:
Regardless of my decision to own or not to own, the eye-bulging passion of the NRA types--i.e. Charton Heston bellowing, voice quivering, "the only way they will take my gun when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands..." blah, blah--completely escape me.  Someone clue me in. 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that one of the things that totalitarian regimes do before they take over is disarm the populace?

I'm all for defending the entire Bill of Rights, not just the Second Amendment...

Honkie said:
So following your logic, premubaly the safest place on planet is the middle of a drug ghetto where everyone carries a gun. The problem, in civilian terms, of the pro-gun "Mutual Assured Destruction" Theory is that it is completely wrong. As a principle it is fundamentally flawed.

Try robbing a firearms store . . . .

ShokWaveRider said:
Guns, Gas  :confused:  Oh well, we digress.

My opinion of guns is pretty much like George Carlin's, take a look at the shape of a gun. Be immaginative. And as for the NRA, just a bunch of old guys saying mine bigger than yours....

SWR

Better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it. Don't bring a knife (or club, or screwdriver, or Kung Fu) to a gunfight.

unclemick2 said:
That and the flip side 'I ain't scared of nothing.'

Anyone catch the tv ad of the diminutive little sweetie driving her big yellow Hummer thru the city.

Hmmm - wonder if she has a 357 or 9mm in the glove box.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh.

A real Colt advertising slogan:

"Fear no man of any size, Colt 45 will equalize!"

((^+^)) SG said:
From a little bit of googling, I believe the references above refer to Downers Grove, IL -- the city that outlawed guns, and Kennisaw, GA -- the city that required them.

Of course the neo-con press followed up on the action in Kennisaw and claim it helped crime.

From the neo-cons:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n15_v46/ai_15729634

I couldn't really find anything from a balanced press source -- probably because both actions are only symbolic.   :) :) :)

OK, so I missed it by one state - still not bad for a 23-year old memory . . . . :-\

Patrick said:
Better to have it and not need it than not have it when you do need it.  Don't bring a knife (or club, or screwdriver, or Kung Fu) to a gunfight.
Gosh, and here I thought the main purpose of owning a gun would be to obtain food for your family.  (Hopefully by deer hunting and not by robbing a 7-11.)  And even then Ted Nugent prefers to use a bow.

Better to have it... and pay top dollar for it and its permit, and perhaps buy a good gun safe or a triggerlock, and keep practicing your marksmanship, and keep it clean/oiled, and don't let the ammo get too old, and maybe practice getting at it quickly, but don't keep it loaded if you have kids in the house, and carry extra liability insurance in case you're so scared unlucky as to actually hit someone without killing them, and be resigned to always being on record with the police & other authorities as a gun owner whenever your license plate is run through their computers, and maybe the Homeland Security databases too, and can I take it in the car with me when I travel, and will I feel comfortable traveling by air and living without it at my destination... and am I forgetting anything else?

A warrior wouldn't bring the wrong weapon to a gunfight, but a true warrior would avoid the fight in the first place.  I think the attitude of "I'm packin' heat, make my day!" causes many a testosterone-poisoned adult to keep walking forward when the better course of valor would be to turn around & run like a scared bunny.

Nords said:
Gosh, and here I thought the main purpose of owning a gun would be to obtain food for your family.
Perhaps your purpose, perhaps not mine.

Nords said:
Better to have it... and pay top dollar for it and its permit, and perhaps buy a good gun safe or a triggerlock, and keep practicing your marksmanship, and keep it clean/oiled, and don't let the ammo get too old, and maybe practice getting at it quickly, but don't keep it loaded if you have kids in the house, and carry extra liability insurance in case you're so scared unlucky as to actually hit someone without killing them, and be resigned to always being on record with the police & other authorities as a gun owner whenever your license plate is run through their computers, and maybe the Homeland Security databases too, and can I take it in the car with me when I travel, and will I feel comfortable traveling by air and living without it at my destination... and am I forgetting anything else?

If you can't handle the responsibilities of gun ownership, don't own.

Nords said:
A warrior wouldn't bring the wrong weapon to a gunfight, but a true warrior would avoid the fight in the first place.  I think the attitude of "I'm packin' heat, make my day!" causes many a testosterone-poisoned adult to keep walking forward when the better course of valor would be to turn around & run like a scared bunny.

Some fights just can't be avoided and sometimes pacifism is not acceptable to the oppressed.  When the sh_t hits the fan, feel free to stop by my place - I'll give you a gun and teach you how to use it.   :D

Patrick said:
Perhaps your purpose, perhaps not mine.

If you can't handle the responsibilities of gun ownership, don't own.

Some fights just can't be avoided and sometimes pacifism is not acceptable to the oppressed.  When the sh_t hits the fan, feel free to stop by my place - I'll give you a gun and teach you how to use it.   :D

All right Patrick! Couldn't have said it better myself.
High praise indeed :)

Nords is overlooking something in his listing of "hassles" involved with gun
ownership. The way the country is headed, all of those sorts of intrusions
into your personal rights/space will increase exponentially, whether you own
guns or not. For me, far better to own weapons and put up with the BS
than to "go bare". Then you are totally at their mercy (you know who I mean).
If you are "packin' " at least you have a fighting chance. Remember,
God created man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

JG

And another thing.........

You all know this (guns) is my Number One hot button. However,
it occurs to me that some may think me excessively hyperbolic
(sometimes I leave off the smiley faces). Anyway, I am dead serious.
I believe that private ownership of just about any weapons
(except WMDs) by non-felons and non-wackos should be entirely legal. If you can't decide if someone is sane, arm them and sort it out later. It's better than hacking away at the second amendment.

JG

Back
Top Bottom