Amazon Prime on sale Friday

I can beat Amazon prices on line almost every time and the lower prices are often with free or low cost shipping. I see zero benefit to paying for Prime. Heck, I see little benefit to Amazon, except as pressure on other retailers to reduce prices.

"zero benefit?" That's hard to believe. It is so easy to one click purchase, without going to multiple sites, nobody ships quicker, no problem with returns, and overall they have good prices. There are a lot of things in life that can be done better, cheaper, etc... but as a total package Amazon does pretty darn good in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about trying Prime mostly for the shipping benefit so this is an incentive to give it a try.

I know I will sound like a dodo, but can someone please explain how to stream videos from Prime on my smart TV?

Most have the Amazon video app either pre-loaded or available. Use that if you can.

I can beat Amazon prices on line almost every time and the lower prices are often with free or low cost shipping. I see zero benefit to paying for Prime. Heck, I see little benefit to Amazon, except as pressure on other retailers to reduce prices.

I'm the world's worst at always trying to beat a price, but I *rarely* find prices that beat Amazon. Almost never. You must shop either limited categories or you have a secret source you need to hook us frugal people up with. If I factor in both shipping and taxes, and especially the 5% cash back from using my Amazon store card, it's pretty damned hard to beat their price.

I'm a heavy Amazon user: Prime member with a Kindle, an Echo at the main house, and an Echo Dot at the mountain house. It's not for everyone, but I feel I get a lot of value out of my Prime membership. Here are the Prime benefits that I use:

1. Free (or call it prepaid) two-day shipping. Amazon delivers to me 2-3 times per month. I don't like to shop, so when I need something it's just as easy for me to order from Amazon and have it show up on the doorstep two days later. Both DD's get free Prime shipping by being attached to my account. (I think this benefit went away a year or two ago, but they seem to be grandfathered in somehow). I use Prime to ship gifts to the girls and others. I probably pay for the Prime membership just with shipping costs.

2. Video streaming. I use it occasionally, and my daughters occasionally view using my login ID.

3. Kindle Owner's Lending Library. I can borrow one book per month from Amazon.

4. "Kindle First". At the beginning of each month, I choose one of six books for free. It's mine to keep.

5. Amazon Drive / Prime Photos. 5 GB of cloud storage for files with unlimited photo storage. I have the app set to automatically back up photos from my phone, iPad, and desktop. I'm currently using 3.6 GB of file storage and 19 GB of photo storage.

6. Prime Music. Up until recently, I rotated between free versions of Pandora / Spotify / Prime. But I am nearing the end of my 30-day free trial of Amazon Unlimited Music, and I'm probably going to continue the subscription. It's nice to be able to select specific songs, artists, albums, or genres. I can skip as many songs as I want. And no ads! The service integrates seamlessly with the Echo. There's a very inexpensive monthly subscription at $3.99 that's good only on one Echo, but since I have multiple Echoes and stream music from my phone I will likely opt for the $80/year subscription for Prime Members on multiple devices. If I wasn't a Prime member, the Unlimited Music subscription would be $10/month. So there's $40 saved.

+1

I'd also like to add

I am using Amazon Echo to do voice commands for my lights and fans, thermostat. Now DW instead of telling me to go turn ON or OFF light, she could ask Alexa to do it :)

"zero benefit?" That's hard to believe. It is so easy to one click purchase, without going to multiple sites, nobody ships quicker, no problem with returns, and overall they have good prices. There are a lot of things in life that can be done better, cheaper, etc... but as a total package Amazon does pretty darn good in my opinion.

That's the kind of thinking that people that have financial advisers use...

Pet food is an example of something that's grossly overpriced at Amazon. I use Chewy.com. Much lower prices, free delivery over $49, and no sales tax. Some prices are comparable at the local discount pet food store, but I get delivery to the front porch and pay no sales tax.

Televisions and computers are much cheaper at the bricks and mortar stores if you spend some time looking at their on line sites. Groceries and staples are ridiculous at Amazon. As a retired person, I will research and drive to a store to save a couple of thousand dollars a year over Amazon.

PhillieFan's list was extensive, but we might actually use *more* of Amazon's services? Crazy, I know...

Prime Delivery - all the time. WAY more than I thought I would ever use this. I think a lot of the recent uptick just has to do with the horrid traffic in Austin. Lol

Prime Video - some movies, lots of series. We wait until several new seasons pop up on Netflix, then binge-watch them all and then cancel our membership again.

Prime Music - 2 million songs, ad-free, on-demand. That's enough for us

Prime Photos - currently 48,157 photos backed up there (76.4GB worth)

Amazon Drive - 7.3GB of documents backed up

Prime Reading - tons of books and magazines for free - w/ Amazon Household set up, the wife and I can share any book we acquire

I have tried to mix and match other services to figure out a way to beat this package deal, and so far I've never even come anywhere *near* the price. It's just a very compelling offer. My research even indicates we won't even notice much difference when we retire to Mexico!

Some day, maybe, just maybe, I'll bite the bullet and grab an Echo. SO TEMPTING. Shiny gadgets. *sigh*

Has anyone figured out if you can extend your current prime at this price?

That's the kind of thinking that people that have financial advisers use...

Pet food is an example of something that's grossly overpriced at Amazon. I use Chewy.com. Much lower prices, free delivery over $49, and no sales tax. Some prices are comparable at the local discount pet food store, but I get delivery to the front porch and pay no sales tax.

Televisions and computers are much cheaper at the bricks and mortar stores if you spend some time looking at their on line sites. Groceries and staples are ridiculous at Amazon. As a retired person, I will research and drive to a store to save a couple of thousand dollars a year over Amazon.

We always compare and never buy anything on Amazon unless it is cheaper or unavailable elsewhere. And a *lot* of things simply aren't available elsewhere, surprisingly. Or at least not for a reasonable price and/or delivery time.

Having said that, I can't imagine *saving* $2,000 while also avoiding Amazon. You'd have to spend an *insane* amount of money to save that much. I'd never be able to do so, and I'm still working full time!

broadway - Thanks for the suggestion about the TV fire stick. So if I plug that into my TV I'll be able to use those apps?

I bought the TV (my first smart TV) just 2 1/2 years ago. Obviously not an early adapter but I'm trying. Is it really time to upgrade again?

My figure includes groceries, pet food, and large purchases such as computers, televisions, and the like, which are not annual, but cyclical. Other random purchases I can't think of right now. Maybe $2k is a little high, but the savings are substantial. I keep a detailed price book in my head, so I know my prices.

Given that, if they have a really good deal on an Instant Pot like last year, I might cave. Loss leaders from anywhere when the item is something that you want or need are always welcome.

broadway - Thanks for the suggestion about the TV fire stick. So if I plug that into my TV I'll be able to use those apps?

I bought the TV (my first smart TV) just 2 1/2 years ago. Obviously not an early adapter but I'm trying. Is it really time to upgrade again?

I am not sure what apps are included with the Amazon Fire stick, but it will definitely have the Amazon app which you apparently want.

Have you checked whether it is possible to update the firmware on your smart TV?

I just checked this since I like looking for good prices. I buy Blue Buffalo cat food. When I search for this the first two items shown are conveniently the same.

First one has the same price, though it's listed as a sale price on Chewy. I can save about 5% on Chewy with auto-order, which I don't want to do. I get 5% off with my Amazon card. I also get free shipping without having to go over $49.

Second item is $4 cheaper on Amazon.

No sign of this gross overpricing for me.

20% sales is a good deal. However, I once signed up for a free trial period (1 month?), and other than getting the initial free shipping, did not get any further benefit out of it because I did not need to buy anything more.

I do not do much shopping to make Amazon Prime worthwhile. I don't watch much TV either.

I do not do much shopping to make Amazon Prime worthwhile. I don't watch much TV either.

Yep. and Yep.

Using $8 for shipping, I would need to buy 10 items to break even on the $79 membership.

As for TV, I am more drawn towards British TV series, and I simply don't watch a lot since there isn't a lot that I do like.

Pet food is an example of something that's grossly overpriced at Amazon. I use Chewy.com. Much lower prices, free delivery over $49, and no sales tax.
I've been using Amazon for our dog food and it's the same price as Chewy but sales tax is added. The largest bag of our dog food is a tad less than the $49 required for free shipping so I guess I'd have to buy two bags at a time or find some other thing to buy to get over the $49.

I was planning to cancel my Prime membership when it comes up for renewal in January, but this thread has me rethinking it. I am not a big shopper and I only occasionally watch the videos. Guess I'll decide in January.

.............. The largest bag of our dog food is a tad less than the $49 required for free shipping so I guess I'd have to buy two bags at a time or find some other thing to buy to get over the $49.
There are entire web sites devoted to low price items one can order from Amazon to get over a minimum. I bought a couple of flat washers for a few cents to save a lot recently. Google it.

There are entire web sites devoted to low price items one can order from Amazon to get over a minimum. I bought a couple of flat washers for a few cents to save a lot recently. Google it.
He/she was talking about $49 minimum with Chewy.com not Amazon

+1

I'd also like to add

I am using Amazon Echo to do voice commands for my lights and fans, thermostat. Now DW instead of telling me to go turn ON or OFF light, she could ask Alexa to do it :)

I have Alexa programmed to control lights and the thermostat. Now DH asks me to tell Alexa to do it [emoji849]

If you order from Amazon a lot (and I do), also use the Amazon Smile program. Amazon donates 0.5% of your purchase price to a charity you select.

My son is building his own desktop next week. He researched the components at pcpartpicker.com. That site lists all the online stores that carry the component and their prices. Out of 16 components, 14 were available at Amazon, with prices comparable or better than others. But with free shipping on my Prime account, we saved $90 in shipping costs. And my community band got $8 for our order.

Amazon really knows how to build loyal customers this way.

I have not used the streaming and video services as much as I should...yet.

I've been using Amazon for our dog food and it's the same price as Chewy but sales tax is added. The largest bag of our dog food is a tad less than the $49 required for free shipping so I guess I'd have to buy two bags at a time or find some other thing to buy to get over the $49.

I buy for rescue so I order a lot. Friskies canned on sale for $0.375 for a 5.5 oz can, $0.95 for the 13 oz can standard price. No shipping, no sales tax. Best local sale prices for the small cans are $0.42 to $0.45 plus tax. Merrick's Before Grains is a dollar more than the discount pet food place at Chewy, but I save two dollars on sales tax and it's delivered.

I am not sure what apps are included with the Amazon Fire stick, but it will definitely have the Amazon app which you apparently want.

Have you checked whether it is possible to update the firmware on your smart TV?

We have a Fire stick and a Roku..I find the Fire Stick much buggier, slower and don't love the interface.In fact if I can find a good price on a Roku the Fire stick is out the door.

I currently have a 30 day Prime trial membership from Amazon, and it doesn't look like they will give me the $79 Prime sale price. I wonder if I can just set up an account through my boyfriend instead? We have the same household address. Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom