Random Amazon packages arriving, not happy

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am getting disenchanted with Amazon. There are too many borderline criminal problems and Bezos is not spending enough money to fight it.

I already started a thread on trying to find a non-counterfeit belt. Went to my local brick and mortar Duluth and am totally pleased. I doubt I'll ever buy clothing on Amazon. Too much room to get something fake.

Then the discussion of phones came up on the Moto Razr thread. Too many grey-market phones sold on Amazon.

My latest issues is random crap is appearing on my doorstep, and Amazon won't stop it! It arrives with a different name that almost looks computer generated. The stuff inside is mostly sub $100 stuff all made in China, typically off brand weird crap like little electronic adapters. Also, toys both adult and child. Nothing good. When I called, I was told by Amazon personnel I could do what I want with it.

I understand this is known as brushing. Typically brushing uses your real name, not some other name. Doesn't matter, the stuff comes to my doorstep. In the rain. When we are out of town. This is a problem!

You'll read articles about it and people freak out. We're not. All it takes is a random selection of the real-estate records. My address is out there for the taking. No need to worry.

What freaks me out is that Amazon has not been helpful. We've asked them to make this stop. Despite assurances, it hasn't. I have actually refused delivery from the Prime delivery guy, one time 3 days in a row, and on the third day the driver paused and just waived at me saying "again." He knew not to deliver it. But it came the fourth with a different driver while I wasn't looking.

This is ALL ABOUT FAKE REVIEWS that have the "Verified Purchase" stamp. Beware, people! Fakespot doesn't see everything either, so easy does it there when you mention Fakespot. They are getting very sophisticated with this scam. Meanwhile, Bezos counts his billions and fiddles away. Even when we are giving them information they can use to help stop it, they just don't care or have the apparatus in place to stop this.

Last thing: don't say I'm lucky. I didn't need the sex toy. Also, this drives up costs for everyone and just fills the landfills.

Last edited:
Don't be such a fuddy duddy and give the sex toy a spin. You might like it. :clap:

I'm just staying away from Amazon on products that are not mainstream and known to work well. Reviews are complete BS as I tried to add a negative review on a product recently and Amazon denied the posting of it.:mad:

Shopping around, I can usually find what I want for less money.

I wouldn't want random packages either. I stop my mail when I travel for a reason. And amazon's own service leaves stuff in the middle of my driveway, so if that was piling up it would get old, fast, and broadcast "empty house."

You might try an email to their exec team? Jeff At Amazon dot com. Yes just that simple address, and no I'm sure he doesn't read any of them, but it's specifically for escalations, and a separate team manages them.

I had never heard of "brushing" and never got any unsolicited Amazon packages. It sounds like you could be a target for brushing without ever dealing with Amazon so avoiding any dealings with Amazon doesn't appear to be a solution.

Since Amazon already said do whatever you want with the packages, there's no guilt to either keep or toss the packages away.

Don't be such a fuddy duddy and give the sex toy a spin. You might like it. :clap:
It was, uh, of the wrong type...

Since Amazon already said do whatever you want with the packages, there's no guilt to either keep or toss the packages away.
No guilt. I just don't want stuff piling up on my doorstep announcing non-presence at home. Recall, I don't get any indication these are coming.

Now, one of the items I got was some sort of monitor mount. I may actually try to use it!

Wow, I didn't know but now, I know how reviewers with verified purchases can be fake reviewers. (I actually wondered about that.) Maybe amazon can change rules and make the person who's gifted review? Would that work?

Obviously what is needed is a place where people can register to receive free stuff. It is a win-win and innocent victims can quit worrying about receiving unexpected packages. A menu to request certain items would be nice as I could use a new BBQ.

I hate when I get crap I don't want from Amazon or anywhere. A couple years ago I started getting packages for someone who used to live at this house. I found her and delivered her package to her. She claimed she changed her address but sometimes she doesn't get her packages. The next package caused me to research why her packages came here, and what needed to be done to fix her issue. I related the information I received. She was grateful and said she'd take care of it right away. A couple months later I received a third package on Thursday, a trash day. I must have put the trash out with the package on top of the trash. I haven't received any more packages.[emoji41]

Wow, I didn't know but now, I know how reviewers with verified purchases can be fake reviewers. (I actually wondered about that.) Maybe amazon can change rules and make the person who's gifted review? Would that work?
Well the reviews would all be 5 star.

Amazon reviews are almost useless. I no longer pay attention to 4-5, many are fake. The 1,2 tend to be either: A. Idiots who are ticked for no reason or B. A real issue.

No guilt. I just don't want stuff piling up on my doorstep announcing non-presence at home. Recall, I don't get any indication these are coming.

Now, one of the items I got was some sort of monitor mount. I may actually try to use it!

Was just suggesting an easy solution instead of dwelling on the situation. Consider the packages junk mail on steroids. Toss what doesn't look interesting. Otherwise, good luck playing whack-a-mole trying to get senders to stop.

I look at the review dates too. If there are too many on the same day and all 5 stars, that's a sign the reviews can be FAKE. Along with only simple descriptions like "Works Great!" and no details.

In my case it is not a gift.

The account and name are to my address, but it isn't my name or account. So I just get the crap on my porch, but not in my name. So, it looks like an actual, real, live person buying the stuff for themself.

I've shared before that I am actually in a review program for a big box retailer. I get to pick and choose stuff, then review it. My reviews are stamped with a medallion that I got the stuff free. I can review it any way I want. As a matter of fact, I'm about to give a 1 star review.

What these guys are doing is a whole different level. It all appears to be real person to the outside world, but in reality it is a 5-star only reviewer.

Reviews are gold. The fact that product went out the door for free is a small price to pay.

Last edited:
I look at the review dates too. If there are too many on the same day and all 5 stars, that's a sign the reviews can be FAKE. Along with only simple descriptions like "Works Great!" and no details.

Best way I know to check out the quality of reviews on an Amazon product: fakespot.com

Fakespot captures the egregious stuff like a lot of reviews on the same day, or accounts with only one review to their name.

I'm following the products I received, and I believe I'm seeing the reviews. Can't tell because they don't use their "real" name. They seem to be doing things very slowly, I don't see the flood.

Hopefully, fakespot can smoke these out. But don't count on it! The scammers are getting extremely clever.

Edit: plugged in my latest product. The product is "A" but the company is "C". Don't do business with company ratings on fakespot B or below. You have to look beyond the product.

Last edited:
Complain about Amazon to the FTC. Amazon needs a policy for investigating this.

I've been getting them too. About three times now.

MicroSD cards. Worth about 25$ per. Total of 5 of them.

I've contacted Amazon as well but they didn't care. They did let slip they are being ordered and paid for by the same guy in China, with a Chinese email address.

Now, I'm Caucasian and live out in the country with a strange rural address. So, it's not like I'm getting presents he's trying to send to his cousin by accident.

Anyway, I keep reporting them and I keep records of the IMs or emails. Then they can't come back on me.

Amazon said I can keep them and do what I want with them. I said "SURE" I'll just put random memory cards I didn't order into my computer...:facepalm:

Quite the mystery.

...Amazon reviews are almost useless. ...

Most online reviews are useless.

As a teacher, I get anonymous evaluations from my students every semester. When these reviews make supposed comments about things that happened in my class, I can tell they are usually not factually correct because I was there and know what really happened. And what really happened is not usually accurately conveyed in the reviews.

I've seen newspaper articles indicating research has shown at least 40% of online reviews are fake.

Based on these experiences, anonymous reviews have no credibility in my eyes and I ignore them.

Leave a one star review with an explanation of how you got it and that 5* reviews are probably fake.

If they keep sending those and you get enough of them, you can duct tape them to the back of a chair and make a nice massager.

Possibly a paint mixer as well.

I just hope no person or persons show up in Tony Soprano mode, looking for those packages, and because they are not there begins a conversation with "so, we have a situation here..."

Back
Top Bottom