America's 100 Largest Landowners

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Land Report 100

John Malone of Liberty Media is #1, #2 is Ted Turner. Mr Jeff Bezos of Amazon is #28.

Ha

I didn't get a chance to read the article. Where did Pa Cartwright fall in the list?

I didn't get a chance to read the article. Where did Pa Cartwright fall in the list?
Didn't notice. What I did notice is how many Texas families are on the list. These guys wouldn't have to worry about where they were going quail shooting.

Ha

Wow, they sure own a lot of land! And to think, I was proud of managing to keep up my 50' x 100' lot! :2funny:

Didn't notice. What I did notice is how many Texas families are on the list. These guys wouldn't have to worry about where they were going quail shooting.

Ha
Yep. We sit on the porch and pick off the hogs.

Interesting list.

Two things...

To make the top 100 list takes 90,000 acres. That's 140 square miles!

The famous King Ranch in south Texas was the biggest Texas holding, at #7. It covers land that is about the size of a Texas county. The number one holder has more than twice as much land, at over two million acres.

kr_map.jpg

Yep. We sit on the porch and pick off the hogs.

I have recently been made aware of the wild hog population in many parts of the US from the tv show that was on about it. Curious if most people eat the hogs that they kill? How similar does the meat taste to the domesticated hogs?

Curious if most people eat the hogs that they kill? How similar does the meat taste to the domesticated hogs?
I imagine the older boars are a little gamey. The wild hog I've eaten was smoked or BBQ'd, and was always tender and delicious. I found it to be leaner than domestic pork. Seems to me like an untapped food source waiting to be discovered.

......... Curious if most people eat the hogs that they kill? How similar does the meat taste to the domesticated hogs?

When I was visiting Brazil's Pantanal region, a farmer told me that they deliberately set loose a few hogs and would hunt them for eating at special occasions and holidays. So, I assume they are good to eat.

When I was visiting Brazil's Pantanal region, a farmer told me that they deliberately set loose a few hogs and would hunt them for eating at special occasions and holidays. So, I assume they are good to eat.

I just wondered if they roamed in the wild like that wouldn't be more likely to have a lot of diseases, worms, etc...that could make the meat suspect?

:D With considered an 'invasive species' when I lived in the LA swamp. Were shot and et accordingly.

heh heh heh - except for JJ found as a baby and brought home to be raised by my neighbor's wife. JJ was released to the wild after Katrina. Never did like that little sucker. Probably good eating by now. ;)

Proud owner of 20 big acres of logged over MS timberland I probably should sell. Long way to go - land baron wise. :ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
I just wondered if they roamed in the wild like that wouldn't be more likely to have a lot of diseases, worms, etc...that could make the meat suspect?

Dunno. Lots of wild game gets eaten in the US of A, so I've gotta assume that if you cook it thoroughly it is not a risk.

Hmmm - taxes? Wonder what the spread is in tax rates? My timberland in MS((no house) is less than 1/10 the property tax up here in MO house, 60x120 ft lot. I have two wooded 'city' lots across the street - again about 1/10 the tax rate of the house.

Remember Bob Hope - the biggest taxpayer in greater Los Angeles at one time?

Timberland vs ranchland with working ranch vs undeveloped property.

heh heh heh - 100 largest by property taxes might reorder the list. :cool:

Wow, they sure own a lot of land! And to think, I was proud of managing to keep up my 50' x 100' lot! :2funny:

Ha! We have a 60 x 100 lot! I guess I'm higher up on the list than you.:)

(i.e. the top 100,000,000 largest land owner's list)

Last edited:
Ha! We have a 60 x 100 lot! I guess I'm higher up on the list than you.:)

(i.e. the top 100,000,000 largest land owner's list)

Yes you are! :2funny: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We need to keep up the yardwork and our high positions on the top 100,000,000 list. :D

I can't imagine owning a bazillion acres like the guys on the top 100. I'd worry about it all the time.

Yes you are! :2funny: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We need to keep up the yardwork and our high positions on the top 100,000,000 list. :D

I can't imagine owning a bazillion acres like the guys on the top 100. I'd worry about it all the time.

If you owned that much land, then you should be able to afford to hire someone else to worry about it for you.:)

And now that I think about it, technically, my wife owns half of our lot, so my share is actually only 30 x 100. That puts me much lower on The List.:(

Hmmm - taxes? Wonder what the spread is in tax rates? My timberland in MS((no house) is less than 1/10 the property tax up here in MO house, 60x120 ft lot. I have two wooded 'city' lots across the street - again about 1/10 the tax rate of the house.

Remember Bob Hope - the biggest taxpayer in greater Los Angeles at one time?

Timberland vs ranchland with working ranch vs undeveloped property.

heh heh heh - 100 largest by property taxes might reorder the list. :cool:
The $.09 per acre Mississippi forest fire protection tax is a real killer for timberland owners.:)

Reminds me of the old chestnut about the Texan bragging to the New Englander.

"Why my ranch is so big, I can get in my car at dawn, drive all day, and not reach the other end of the ranch until after dark."

"Yeah, I used to have a car like that, too"

Back
Top Bottom