An interesting article on spending...

Wise words! I would go even further and say that one of the things that distinguishes us as Americans is that our first, instinctive response to any problem is, "What can I buy to solve this?"

This is so true!! When a problem seems insoluble, it is so easy to just throw money at it.

I am a big believer in self imposed cooling off periods before any non-trivial purchase - it always amazes me how many things I do not buy when I just take a few days to think it over.

I have also found that it is necessary for me to do that as well. Years ago, a few days after spending a day in a friend's boat on the Chesapeake Bay fishing and thinking about how much I'd enjoyed it, I toyed with the idea of buying a similar boat.

Out with DW to get some books for school we passed a boat dealer and I pulled into the lot to look around and get an idea of what I could realistically afford. DW was concerned about this, as I had the check book with me (for buying textbooks) and she was definitely not enthused at the idea of buying a boat. Lo and behold, there was one that we could afford to pay cash for, although doing so would wipe out most of our savings at the time. But dang, I'd really enjoyed that day on the Bay.

So I decided to take a week or so to think about it, and consider how often I would really make the effort to get up at dawn on my days off, how many of those days would have weather suitable for it, and trailering the the thing there and back and the clean-up afterward. DW made it clear that spending days on the Bay in a boat, especially if it didn't have a potty, was not on her list of priorities.

It became clear that I really wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense. Even at the rate of $200/hour or so renting one when I wanted to would be far less expensive than buying.

DW was relieved!:dance:

Hi hon...when we going on another trip. I need to buy some fun things before we go.:LOL::LOL:
Actually, DW and her "travel buddy" (another woman that shares her passion for travel) just left yesterday morning for Vegas (2-week Canyonlands/Vegas tour).

The other gal's luggage was light; DW's was heavy. Had to be a pair of shoes for every day (along with extra's for their float trip).

They go again in November (Nile cruise). I guess DW has to also pack her burka for that one (at least a selection of head scarfs - one for every day of the week :whistle: )...

DW made it clear that spending days on the Bay in a boat, especially if it didn't have a potty, was not on her list of priorities.
A cedar bucket is the traditional option.

They go again in November (Nile cruise). I guess DW has to also pack her burka for that one (at least a selection of head scarfs - one for every day of the week :whistle: )...

Hey, you just gave me an idea. Take nothing but black tops and black slacks (or white or beige depending on the season)...pack one pair and wear one pair for traveling. Then pack only colorfull scarves to wear in different ways - one scarf for each day. Scarves are very light and easy to pack.

Hmmmm - I don't have any scarves or one color ensembles YET. May have to go shopping?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That really is kinda a good idea though.

Hmmmm - I don't have any scarves or one color ensembles YET. May have to go shopping?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That really is kinda a good idea though.
Something we learned from the French (I worked in France; she traveled there often, with me).

French women use scarfs as men use ties (yes, if you are a manager in France, you do wear ties :whistle: ), to vary their daily "wardrobe".

Of course, their scarfs were quite pricy in some instances, but then again you get what you pay for.

An reference in an article on how they dress in black, and use scarfs to make every outfit "unique":

Love in Paris ; the French woman ; romantic Paris

Thanks for the link...maybe that will become my "new personal style" since I've lost mine.:D The other article about how French women eat is also interesting. I have a book called French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano that pretty much says the same thing. I need to get it out and read it again.

I remember seeing some of those pretty French women in Paris...looking so nice and slim with an easy style. You would see quite a few people at lunch time just carrying a loaf of bread and munching on little pieces as they walked by.

Oooops off topic sorry....fun though.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom