Any Bulls Left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
uber-bear Kass (or was in 2007, 2008, not any more), expects a Nov 2008 lows to hold and S&P500 to end the year up around 15% from here.

That's bullish!

Audrey

uber-bear Kass (or was in 2007, 2008, not any more), expects a Nov 2008 lows to hold and S&P500 to end the year up around 15% from here.

That's bullish!

Audrey

They had better buck up then, because today both the Dow and S&P are awfully close to 52 week lows.

Ha

I may do some nibbling here if the lows stick until the end of day. I'll probably buy some Wellesley and collect the yield why I wait for recovery.

If we continue into a deflationary spiral, history shows that retiree's with pensions or other fixed, safe incomes, do well. People with debt, non-liquid assets, stocks etc. do poorly.

So I guess I'm cautiously defensamistic.:blush:

That's bullish!

Audrey

Or maybe better phrased....Bull[-]ish[/-]

The more bulls are seen as part of the lunatic fringe, the better. Think about the folks predicting financial meltdown 18 months ago.

Here Here, I can't take much more depressing negativity:(

Hopefully things will get better when the weather improves:confused:

Still 100% individual stocks here, 2.5 years into retirement. I have no opinion as to which way stock prices are headed, but I am not too worried. Most of the stocks I own now project slower than normal growth or even profit declines for 2009-2010, but nothing that would interfere with dividends. None of them have missed their annual dividend increase yet, although the increases are minor for most stocks (+2% for MMM last week, KO should raise theirs in the next week or so). I do monitor their earnings estimates, and re-analyze them when significant changes occur. News is watched strictly for laughs - I would not base my investing on it.

Unfortunately, for me 1/2 dozen of my dividend paying stocks mostly financial stocks, a REIT, and a pipeline natural gas company slashed dividends. The good news the other 30 odd maintained or even modestly increased dividends. Overall my dividend income is down less than 10%, so I'll just hang and tighten the belt a bit.

You obviously don't own any financial stocks -- BAC, C, etc. if they're still around.

You are correct. I sold WM in Apr 07 and C in Oct 07 when it became apparent that no-one had any idea what their assets were worth anymore. I held onto my final semi-financial GE too long, finally selling it in Nov 2008 for the same reason. Thats what I get for violating my own rules.

The more it drops the more bullish i become. Just bought 80 shares of VDE on sale sale sale! Of course that's what i thought when i bought BAC at $33.05. and $25.15. and $22.06. It can't go any lower than this!! ( it's $5.01 now? errrggg.). Almost enough to make a man stick with cleaning toilets and browbeating tenants to make money.

The closest I can find to bullishness these days are hints that things aren't falling apart quite as fast; that the decline is more orderly. And then we have another day like today.

I guess I might buy a bit too (a.k.a., "throw good money after bad" again). Sigh.

These last 4 or 5 months have seemed like a lifetime: a lifetime of vanishing savings!

Well, the more the market drops, the closer it is to the eventual bottom by definition. The more it drops now, the less it can drop in the future. How's that for positive thinking? :whistle:

Extrapolating today's ~250 point drop in the Dow we should hit 0 in a month or so at that point it will be quite safe to turn bullish.

I am busy looking for loose change in my couch's which I will use to purchase America's Fortune 500 at Dow 0. Looking forward to firing some CEOs..

The more bulls are seen as part of the lunatic fringe, the better. Think about the folks predicting financial meltdown 18 months ago.
Exactly! I think we can take some comfort when the few lone voices out there that were predicting meltdown 18 months ago start voicing cautious optimism today.

Oh - it looks like the Kass article is available on the "free" part of the site. It's long, rational is later in the article and predictions are on the last page 7. Kass: Fear and Loathing on Wall Street

Audrey

I'm Bullish depending on the time frame.
Over the next week to year I am not expecting any large gains in the DOW and some more bad news. In 10 years I expect we will see a lot of growth.
Like CyclingInvestor, I am almost completely in individual stocks and my dividend income over the last year is roughly flat.
Just bought some more KFT today. And wouldn't add to any banks I currently own for quite some time (not as smart as he about getting out of all of them earlier, although I did get out of a couple).

Well, the more the market drops, the closer it is to the eventual bottom by definition. The more it drops now, the less it can drop in the future. How's that for positive thinking? :whistle:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::2funny: Good one! I am glad I wasn't drinking coffee, or it would have sprayed all over the monitor screen. :flowers:

Pollyanna The Glad Girl would have been glad that the bottom has dropped out of the market, because once it gets down to zero it can only go up. It makes us feel glad to see a market moving upwards. Glad, glad, GLAD, I tell you! :blush:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::2funny: Good one! I am glad I wasn't drinking coffee, or it would have sprayed all over the monitor screen. :flowers:

Pollyanna The Glad Girl would have been glad that the bottom has dropped out of the market, because once it gets down to zero it can only go up. It makes us feel glad to see a market moving upwards. Glad, glad, GLAD, I tell you! :blush:

You may not be drinking coffee, but from the sound of this you're [-]on[/-] drinking something...

By nature, I'm a bull; but, time has run out on me. I don't have the years left to invest in the future because for me, the future is now. I'm totally into CD's at this point in time. My only objective is to make sure there are funds available to take care of my wife for the rest of her life should I leave first. However, my grandson just entered the workforce one year age with a great job in the medical field. I'm trying to get him to buy into the market now. At 21, what does he know about stocks and the future of the market; but I tell him there are thousands of people out there that will contimue to make this country succeed and for the market to act in a bullish fashion. It is not for him to reason why, it is for him to invest and high. What better chance to get into the market. Does anyone out there feel the same?

You may not be drinking coffee, but from the sound of this you're [-]on[/-] drinking something...

Mike's Hard Lemonade and leftover filet mignon for breakfast this morning - makes it feel like the market is up. It is nice when you get exactly what is needed for Valentines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom