Any Quicken 2013 users?

nanannjen

Recycles dryer sheets
I am a long time Quicken user - currently on the 2010 version. I'm considering upgrading to 2013 Premier, primarily for the mobile app. We're on the road quite a bit, and it would be nice to be able to access Quicken from my tablet on the road (Quicken is loaded on my desktop). The reviews on Amazon are horrible - that's typically true for both Quicken and TurboTax, but in this case several specifically mention the mobile app as being a problem. Anyone here have any experience they can share? Thanks!

I am also a Quicken 2010 user, but will not upgrade to 2013 because the mobile app does not support multi-currency features. Even if it did, I would wait a year for the dust to settle. In the meantime I will buy the 2011 version from Ebay for about $15 so that I can get securities pricing for another year.

I upgraded to Q2013 just last week. I was using 2010 which sunsets downloads in the spring. I was really happy with 2010, and the reviews for 2013 were really bad. I got a good price and upgraded not really any difference and everything went smoothly. I will not be using the mobile function, so be careful out there.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2012. I will upgrade when, and only when, the downloads from my financial institutions became problematic.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2012. I will upgrade when, and only when, the downloads from my financial institutions became problematic.

Similar here except I'm on Quicken Home & Business 2011. I usually upgrade every other year or so unless there are some really attractive features in the new release (which is usually no for me).

I used to use Pocket Quicken on my Palm Treo, and it was handy for entering Quicken data and downloading it to the main computer. It looks like a good reason to upgrade to 2013, but the reviews look worse than usual so I'm going to wait another year.

Yes, I upgraded to 2013 when it first came out. There is one big bug that affects me big time. Has not been fixed through update 8.

The way quicken works is they release every year on a launch date come hell or high water. The version stabilizes usually by release 5 or 6. This version has not stabilized by version 8. I was told by the development team leader that since my bug was a reporting issue, not a data integrity issue that it was prioritized lower, and they were still working on data integrity/corruption issues. This was late last week.

I like 2013, but if you don't have it yet, I would wait for Q2 (April) next year to upgrade to let the version stabilize.

I bought Quicken 2013 and downloaded the mobile app for my iPhone. The 2013 computer version works pretty much the same as the previous version. The new mobile app only provides access to banking and credit card accounts which you can sync automatically over the air. It is useful at tracking monthly spending against a budget and confirming that a credit card charge has gone through but it does not provide any access to investment accounts.

So, a nice tiny step forward but not exactly like putting your entire Quicken portfolio in your pocket.

I bought Quicken 2013 and downloaded the mobile app for my iPhone. The 2013 computer version works pretty much the same as the previous version. The new mobile app only provides access to banking and credit card accounts which you can sync automatically over the air. It is useful at tracking monthly spending against a budget and confirming that a credit card charge has gone through but it does not provide any access to investment accounts.

So, a nice tiny step forward but not exactly like putting your entire Quicken portfolio in your pocket.

Thank you! This is good information - I didn't realize that it was just banking and not investments. Not what I was hoping for. This, along with what everyone else has been saying, has definitely delayed my purchase. Thank you, everyone!

Opening up this thread again... I use Quicken 2010 Premier and use it only to track investments. However, I have a lot of them and to put in the prices manually would be extremely time-consuming.

Is there anyone who has upgraded from 2010 to 2013 and found it sufficient? I am not aware of another product that does what I need, and I have at least 12 years of history that I want to keep so if it isn't the total piece of cr*p that I see on the amazon reviews, I will buy it ($55 currently).

Open to suggestions - I do not use it to track expenses at all. Just investments, hence getting the premier version. I could also try to find a copy of 2012 to install... sigh.

HELP!

I went ahead and bit the bullet a month or two ago when Costco had a rebate. The upgrade went fine for me - it fixed the problem that I was having with 2010 where it wouldn't update one of my stocks, and I've had no problems with updating either my stocks or my banking/investment transactions. I've not yet tried the mobile version. Really, there's not a whole lot of difference for the way that I use it, and I've had no problems so far.

Thanks! I just also bit the bullet - and got it on amazon for $45 (they offered me a credit card or something - anyhow, I got $10 off for applying for it). It's nice to know someone has used it and not had it be a horror show. :)

Edit: I had such a long history that I tried - on 2010 - the automatic updating and it totally screwed up the transactions. I am not sure why. Anyhow I just went back to putting them in manually - not a lot of work compared to putting in the stock prices.

I was recently forced to upgrade and did so. I have not had any problems.

I don't know what version of updates it has, but it sure downloaded a lot of them.

It is always best to wait with Quicken and let other early users do the initial testing. It should not be this way, but it is.

I was recently forced to upgrade and did so. I have not had any problems.

I don't know what version of updates it has, but it sure downloaded a lot of them.

It is always best to wait with Quicken and let other early users do the initial testing. It should not be this way, but it is.

Thanks - the latest version is 11 (I think that's what I read). I am forced to upgrade since it won't update stock prices after 4/30/13 (Quicken 2010, I mean). There have been so many bad reviews, it's nice to hear it possibly works. :D

Long time time Quicken user, only upgrade when they sunset. I went from 10 to 13, seems the same not much different, I do the mobile thing, works fine for me.

I was a former Quicken user, but after reading the reviews on amazon, I decided I don't want to deal with having to upgrade every few years for unknowable quality product. I ended up moving to Moneydance, which has worked reasonably well for me. It's cross platform, which is a big plus for me, and I'm never forced to upgrade again.

I updated from 2010 to 2013 about a month ago. No problems with investments. It is not updating my checking account for some reson, though it has no problem with the savings account at the same financial institution. But daily quotes, dividends, etc., so far so good.

As a happy 2010 quicken user who does not have a need for mobile applications, is it worth the upgrade? I usually have my bank account open when I reconcile and upload transactions in quicken, so the lack of the direct online access from quicken will probably not affect me.

Quicken 2013? I'm still using Quicken 2000. :LOL: I'd thought about upgrading a few times, but each time was put off by the rigmarole I'd have to go through to migrate my 23+ years of Quicken transactions into the appropriate database format for the new versions. I almost thought I'd be forced to make a transition earlier this year when my Windows XP PC died. The replacment PC I built ran Windows 7 and it didn't appear that Quicken 2000 would be compatible. However, with a little hacking, I got Quicken 2000 working on it just fine. So, I figure I'm good for at least another decade. :D

Quicken 2013? I'm still using Quicken 2000. :LOL: I'd thought about upgrading a few times, but each time was put off by the rigmarole I'd have to go through to migrate my 23+ years of Quicken transactions into the appropriate database format for the new versions. I almost thought I'd be forced to make a transition earlier this year when my Windows XP PC died. The replacment PC I built ran Windows 7 and it didn't appear that Quicken 2000 would be compatible. However, with a little hacking, I got Quicken 2000 working on it just fine. So, I figure I'm good for at least another decade. :D

But if you use QW 2000 you are not using any of downloads from banks/brokerages - which to me is one of the main attractive points to use QW :-(

I also use Quicken 2000, basically tracking everything. I don't want downloads because I want to reconcile bank records with my own. The only problem I have with Windows 7 is that the screen is blank until I hover over the accounts on the right and select one.

I am going to wait until he 2014 version to come out to upgrade from my 2011 version. I use the features that download transactions from some accounts.

I was a former Quicken user, but after reading the reviews on amazon, I decided I don't want to deal with having to upgrade every few years for unknowable quality product. I ended up moving to Moneydance, which has worked reasonably well for me. It's cross platform, which is a big plus for me, and I'm never forced to upgrade again.

I used Quicken and/or MS Money for a couple of decades, and was pleased with some of the features but terribly frustrated with some of the bugs. All in all, they were OK, mainly because there was nothing better.

About a year and a half ago, I started using Moneydance. I had tried it before a couple of times, but never really got into it. In 2011, I decided to really give it a serious shot, since it had apparently evolved into something pretty good.

For quite a while, I used Moneydance in parallel with Quicken, entering everything in both places.

After several months of that, I decided that Moneydance was good enough to stay with. Most of the features and none of the frustrations. At the end of 2011 I quit using Quicken for good.

I archived my old Quicken files, and also exported them to spreadsheets, so I have all those old records available to search in a couple of ways when I need historical information.

After nearly 1.5 years of using Moneydance exclusively, I can honestly say I'm completely happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve to deal with, since many things are not done the same way I was used to in Quicken. But Moneydance has pretty good documentation, good user support on their website, and good community support from other users on their forums. Every question I've asked has been answered quickly.

About a year and a half ago, I started using Moneydance. I had tried it before a couple of times, but never really got into it. In 2011, I decided to really give it a serious shot, since it had apparently evolved into something pretty good.

For quite a while, I used Moneydance in parallel with Quicken, entering everything in both places.

After several months of that, I decided that Moneydance was good enough to stay with. Most of the features and none of the frustrations. At the end of 2011 I quit using Quicken for good.

After nearly 1.5 years of using Moneydance exclusively, I can honestly say I'm completely happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve to deal with, since many things are not done the same way I was used to in Quicken. But Moneydance has pretty good documentation, good user support on their website, and good community support from other users on their forums. Every question I've asked has been answered quickly.

Thanks for this, Braumeister. I hadn't heard of Moneydance. I found this review of 10 Personal Finance Software packages. Thought I'd pass it along from the "for what it's worth" department.

Moneydance 2013 | Good & Bad of Moneydance - TopTenREVIEWS

Braumeister, your story is similar to mine. I started with MS Money, used it from late 90's until 2004, when they announced it would be discontinued. I then bought a copy of Quicken and gradually migrated there. I was pretty happy with Quicken. Occasional bugs, but no major issues.

I started using a Mac about a year ago and was sick of having to go to the Windows PC to use Quicken, so I bought a copy of Moneydance. At the time, the biggest selling point for me is that it's cross platform. I played around with it, but at the time I decided that I didn't want to go through the hassle of migrating over and resigned myself to paying the Quicken tax. Then I got my letter from Quicken telling me that I need to upgrade or I'll lose online functionality. I went to Amazon, thinking I'd buy the latest version, but it had terrible reviews.

So I decided to try out Moneydance. I did this at the start of the year and didn't migrate my data, except for the investment accounts. It took me a few weeks to get everything right, maybe 20-30 hours total (maybe more), at which point I stopped using Quicken. I remember migrating from MS Money to Quicken and this wasn't any worse. Fortunately, humans are adaptable creatures. :)

I only have two complaints about Moneydance and I think one of them is because I've been too lazy to figure it out.

The first one is that I always forecasted account balance in my primary checking account to make sure there's enough money in the account. With Moneydance, it seems to take into account the reminders, but not future dated entries already in the account. This is the one that I think I might be doing something wrong.

The other one is the portfolio reports. In Quicken (and MS Money before that), I was able to display my portfolio based on the investment, not account. For example, if I owned a Total US Market Fund in a Roth, 401k, and taxable account, with viewing by investment it's give me the total number of shares, value, etc for all the accounts combined. With Moneydance, I can only view my portfolio by account, so I have to manually add up all the shares, etc, to get the total amount (I use this data to enter in a spreadsheet, which is what I use for managing our portfolio). I looked on the Moneydance forums, but couldn't find any help. The nice thing about Moneydance though is that I should be able to write my own plugin, which should allow me to generate a custom report (still need to look into this one).

Back
Top Bottom