Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody Seeing Real Estate as a Buying Opportunity in Their Locale?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody Seeing Real Estate as a Buying Opportunity in Their Locale?

Here in North East Florida, I have seen housing coming down in price since last November when it peaked. $50k reductions in Single Family Homes are not uncommon and Every Real Estate Agent I talk to says it is a Buyer's Market. Condos are still a little pricey but I am sure they will follow suite.

On the news last night, Jacksonville was said to be at the highest foreclosure level in 3 years with 3,500 new ones in the last few months.

Just curious.

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anybody Seeing Real Estate as a Buying Opportunity in Their Locale?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but will any of it flow cash as a rental. Still a mile away from that in my locale.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unless interest rates drop, supply drops, or demand goes up (all very unlikely), then prices have no where to go but down.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #4

south florida:

in broward county, even while sales of existing single family houses dropped 31% and inventory rose 3x's, the medium price rose overall (1st quarter 2006 from 2005) 14% to $366,600 (after we dipped some between wilma and earlier this quarter). condos here fell 26% in sales but rose 25% in price to a $209,800 medium.

palm beach county single family dropped 32% in sales and rose 2x's in inventory, but increased in price 8% to $392,900. miami-dade county sales dropped 9%, while the median price increased 21% to $376,900.

single family is expected to continue to rise. condos, likely at the high end, are expected to tank upwards of 20% as new-builds come on-line over the next 2 years.

investing here still looks good f you are in the my-home-is-part-of-my-net-worth camp and especially if you already own and are homesteaded.

but when it comes to investing for an income stream, i'm not so sure how the numbers play.

the tax on that $209,800 1/1 condo is $4,890 plus homeowner association fees plus insurance. it might rent for $850. a 2/2 might rent for $1,200 if it has a pool.

the tax on that $366,600, 1,200 square-foot, 2/1 house is $8,578, plus insurance (going up another 16% this year) and might rent for 1,200 or so.

demand here is expected to continue to rise given the population growth of 30,000 per county per year. that rate expected to continue over the next 30 years. broward county is already at build-out.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Front page of the Boston Globe .. "Buyers' Market .. a record glut of house for sell in Mass. should send prices tumbling" ... Stuff is still selling, prices have "stabilized", but houses' are staying on the market longer adding to the inventory, and putting pressure on sellers to lower prices.

Had to happen at some point, with the record increase's in House prices in the NE. Those intrest only/ Arm mortgages are catching up with some folks. Mortgage rates are holding others back from buying at the price's sellers want to sell. It's all about the monthly payment.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Pray for rates to keep going up. Once mortgage rates are at 9%-10% then start buying. Buy everything you can get your hands on that comes close to cash flowing using 5-year fixed ARMs. Most buyers shop for homes now the way they shop for cars, by asking, what is the max monthly payment that I can afford? So at that point, no one will be buying. In a short while, rates will drop back down to 6% and that will send all your properties into cash flow positive territory and up in value as well. There may be too much liquidity still in the system for rates to ever hit that high, but if you wait until they do, you will be rewarded. Home prices for middle class properties are a function of interest rates, period.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Stuffs come down to the point where I dont roll my eyes and bark "Come ON!" when I see what someone thinks their house is worth. Starting to see "Price reduced AGAIN!" in MLS listings.

About 15-25% more and I think we'll be down to what these properties are actually worth.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #8

Many of you have never seen the proverbial "**** hitting the fan." I experienced it a number of times and I have always been confronted by people in other parts of the country not experiencing a free fall in housing prices with comments about my "poor judgement."

When housing prices tank it is always "local." I lost about $35,000 when Jimmy Swaggert was caught in a motel with "another women" in Baton Rouge. That was almost 20% of my house's purchase price in 1985 (or so). Before that I lost almost 15% in the great oil boom collapse in 1983 in Houston. The early 80's basically killed me on housing equity.

I have been pretty lucky by some standards. My BIL/SIL lost about 80% of their home's value in Houston in 1983. Their neighborhood was eventually bulldozed. Right after that the banks started reporting "forgiven equity" as income to discourage people turning in their keys to their mortgage holders.

Be careful about having too much of your net worth in housing. Someday you might want to go for a long walk.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I lost about $35,000 when Jimmy Swaggert was caught in a motel with "another women" in Baton Rouge.
(I know there must be one heck of a story here, but I'm almost afraid to ask...)

2B, by any chance were you the "other woman"? : If so, I would have to agree that particular situation was definitely "poor judgement".

Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
(I know there must be one heck of a story here, but I'm almost afraid to ask...)

2B, by any chance were you the "other woman"? :* If so, I would have to agree that particular situation was definitely "poor judgement".

That was an extremely "interesting" period in my life.* I had recently lost my job with a mega oil company and managed to land another job in Baton Rouge without missing a paycheck.* Then the floor fell out of the Baton Rouge market when Jimmy Swaggert ministries (second largest employer in Baton Rouge) laid off their entire staff.* I lost another job -- not with JS Ministries -- and ate the green weenie.* From my earlier post we can's say s--t.

BTW -- There were a number of JS Ministries people in my neighborhood and I was surprised at the number of people that weren't surprised.* I worked for a lech at one point and he sexually harassed any woman that had a B cup.* He was particuarly disgusting by hitting on women with the company I was dating (before I got married).* He was eventually fired in the early 80's for unprofessional behavior.* That was (unfortunately) the early days of sexual harassment and I like to think the young ladies knew I couldn't help or hurt their careers no matter what they did with me.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Home prices have a LONG way to go...down... buy in 2 to 3 years or longer, it's going to be bruital...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't have the stones for real estate. My Vanguard REIT index fund as one asset class is all I want to mess with. It is liquid and diversified. Oh, yeah--and the house.

We left Houston in the 80's and I am here to tell you that you CAN lose money in real estate.

Ed
Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree, we are very early on as far as a decline ... interest rates are still relatively low. Hardly any pain thus far.

While I share the thought there will be opportunity, I do feel some concern for these folks that are stretched right now on ARM's. They are in a very precarious position, and there will be some very tough lessons, and sad stories ...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Housing bears can't stand to hear that "it's different this time". But I do think a few things have changed, three of which I can point out - 1. access to information over the internet, makes it easier to buy a home at a younger age - 2. dual income the norm now, it's routine now for a poster to say, i'm married, 28 years old, we make 110k (to borrow from an actual, recent post). 110k has a lot more buying power than 55k. - 3. global liquidity. i don't see the money from china and india drying up in the near future, this has driven returns on every asset class down (and thus, since rents rarely change much, the price on real estate up). Prices will go down and will settle, but probably higher on the graphs than in previous cycles.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Housing bears can't stand to hear that "it's different this time".* But I do think a few things have changed, three of which I can point out - 1. access to information over the internet, makes it easier to buy a home at a younger age - 2. dual income the norm now, it's routine now for a poster to say, i'm married, 28 years old, we make 110k (to borrow from an actual, recent post).* 110k has a lot more buying power than 55k. - 3. global liquidity.* i don't see the money from china and india drying up in the near future, this has driven returns on every asset class down (and thus, since rents rarely change much, the price on real estate up).* Prices will go down and will settle, but probably higher on the graphs than in previous cycles.
Nationally, you are probably right. Locally will be a different story. Lots of places in the Midwest never saw a run-up in the first place. But in the bubble markets like Florida, Nevada, Boston, and (especially) the west coast, it ain't gonna be pretty. Anywhere Option ARMs have been real popular will gget torched within a couple of years. I'm hoping to pick up some cheap property in Denver in a couple of years.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #16

This current pause is no buying opportunity... if this cycle is anything like past cycles it'll take 1/2 as long to hit bottom as it took to top. So this ~12 year run up needs ~6 years to cycle down.

Save your pennys and get ready ~2011-2012. Cash will be king ... forget about ARMs, they won't exist for investors (just like 1993-1994).
Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #17

Do I get points for keeping my mouth shut until now, instead of jumping up and down and shouting, "Ooh, ooh!" like Horshack?

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 AM   #18

I'm starting to see mixed signals. Some prices are dropping, and some things are staying on the market for longer, but some asking prices seem to keep going up.

Here's one example that I've been watching:

Last summer, a house up the road from me sold for $490,000. It had two acres of nice, cleared ground (no swamps/etc) and a separate cinderblock workshop that was big enough to house four cars. The house itself wasn't huge, about 1100 square feet, built in 1956. Rambler with two bedrooms, two baths, a den, and a full basement. Not sure if the den and extra bath are in the basement or not, though. It's all brick, looks very well-built, has a front porch and a back porch, and a 2-car carport.

Well, it's back on the market again, for $529,000. However, it's been subdivided. Included in the sale is only the house on 1/2 acre. And as set back from the road as the house is, I doubt that the workshop will be included in the deal; it will probably be razed once the other lots start selling. And once those empty lots get populated with McMansions, both to the left and behind it, any semblance of privacy this house once had will be lost. I'll be interested to know what it ultimately sells for.

Another house went on the market last November, a 3br/2ba cape cod built in 1942. It's on 1/2 acre, with a 1-car garage and lean-to 1car carport off the garage. It's just a frame house with what I think they used to call clapboard siding. It has a few McMansions towering over it in back. In fact, when they took pics of it to put online, they had to take it at just the right angle so you couldn't see them. Well, originally they were asking $350K. It went off the market around Christmas, but came back early this year. The last I saw they were asking $329K. It's sold now, but I don't know what it went for.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
But in the bubble markets like Florida, Nevada, Boston, and (especially) the west coast, it ain't gonna be pretty.*
I hope not!* The last Calif real estate crash was so entertaining back here in the flatlands we could hardly stand it.* Someone would bring a newspaper to lunch everyday and read stories out loud about folks upside down in their mortgages, etc. and we'd all crack up. It was like something from a comic strip.*

Before we're accused of just being jealous, we admit it!* Seeing folks profit beyond imagination from real estate or equity bubbles does make one do the happy dance at payback time.* And especially since, for most, it's just paper loses, a reversion to the mean.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I worked for a lech at one point and he sexually harassed any woman that had a B cup.
that explains it....

I was wondering what '2B' stood for