Join Early Retirement Today
Applying for a Credit Card in ER
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Applying for a Credit Card in ER

Given the amount of international travel I will be doing, I am considering opening up a Capital One credit card (no foreign exchange fee). I am a bit concerned about applying in early retirement. Any advice?

PS I am also looking at a new internet bank solution. I am looking at Bank of Internet USA, Everbank and HSBC. I was with Netbank. Now that ING has taken over the deposits, I expect my international ATM transactions will be subject to a 3% fee.

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
I applied for a credit card in March and there was no problem; I live on a small pension.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you are wondering how to describe your employment status -- or lack thereof -- you might check out this thread on "am I self employed, unemployed or retired":

(I remember it well because one poster, KCowan?, said he referred to himself as a "private client portfolio manager" and for income indicated the increase in value of his portfolio for the past year. Brilliant! I've used this myself since...and it works.)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oliver, if the CC issuers limited their product to only those who could repay, they'd go out of business! You'll have no problem getting a new card.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Indicating "retired" will do fine...and indicate income that you can document....although most will not ask for documentation....few like amex will do only if they find something fishy and do a financial review, which would include letting them look at your tax returns...
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Hmmmm. We opened a Bank of America account a few years after we had been retired and got their Visa. I don't remember there being any problems. We almost ALWAYS simply state "retired" when required to give employment status. I'm still in my 40s. It has not caused problems.

LOL - at the time I was more concerned about establishing the new bank account before my physical address changed (became an RV fulltimer), so I didn't even worry about the "retired" thing.

audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...
I originally had problems with PenFed. They wanted copies of tax returns and supporting documents. If I had applied a few months before retirement, I'm sure there would have been no problem.

To make a long story short, I told them to shove it. Later when checking my cd balance with them, a message appeared on their website that I was approved for a credit card(3 times the limit I asked for) and auto loans if I wanted it. Go figure.

Good luck.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
I guess I just never thought about it being a problem. I am newly retired but my credit is excellent and my FICO is 832. It never occurred to me that anyone would turn me down. Guess I will find out as time goes by.
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...
Occasionally you read about credit cards being issued to dogs and dead people, so I'd think "retired" would squeeze by.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Occasionally you read about credit cards being issued to dogs and dead people, so I'd think "retired" would squeeze by.
I was turned down again and again when applying for a credit card during the first year or two after my divorce, so I guess divorce is worse than being a dog or dead? . At the same time, my nineteen year old college student daughter who couldn't even balance her checking account was getting offers in the mail, daily.

I tried for a Sears card, and even tried to finance a $350 mattress at a bedding store. No luck. So, I got mad and stopped applying.

Four years after my divorce I had accumulated enough for 20% down on my house, and I had no problem at all getting a mortgage. That fixed my credit quickly, but now I don't care because I have no desire for a credit card any more. They can shove them where the sun don't shine (or whatever that expression is).
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Yep, no prob getting a credit card in FIREhood for me either. On one application I said retired. On an application for a business card I was completely truthful and reported that my side business earned me only a few hundred bucks over the last year, and it was still approved.

free4now is offline   Reply With Quote