Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you a Millionaire
Yes 120 67.80%
No 24 13.56%
Close 9 5.08%
Not even Close 24 13.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Maybe the options should have been in ranges of millionaire.

Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
This question isn't very interesting to me. Much more important (IMHO) is free cash flow. If you view yourself as a business, are you profitable?

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #43
I suppose that those whose jobs are in high cost areas might have quite a lot of home equity, especially if they bought 20-30 years ago. If they have $500K in home equity, and are on SS to the tune of $18K/year, they would be a millionaire by this definition even with NO portfolio, no savings, and no pension.

Doesn't seem very rich, does it?

A million dollars is no excuse to react like a game show winner - - "Whoopee! Now I'll buy a yacht, a McMansion, and a Lear Jet". It just doesn't go that far. It also doesn't produce a huge income, especially these days.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Do you really believe that anyone on this board age 62 or older would pay 515K for an 18K government-guaranteed COLA'd annuity? If so, maybe the SS Administration should get into the business of selling these. It would certainly close the SS deficit pretty darn quickly.
Or, encourage folks never to marry and/or have kids, that way, SS gets to keep everything if they die before they are old enough to collect........
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I expected to have some resistance to the number used to capitalize a cola'd anunity. As I am not a finance kind of guy, I went with the lower number 3.5% as it would provide 100% chance of my money lasting as SS does. 4% might do it, heck for some people at older ages even 7 or 8% may do it. Witch brings up another part of the calculation. As you age, you SS anuity payment is worth less. Makes since as there is no residule and it will be paid over a longer period. So you may be a millionaire at 62 and a pauper at 92.

Also, as this is more of a "hey, never thought of it this way" question, and having a 'net worth' calculation right now has no benefit to me, I am more than willing for you to post another way to do it.

Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote