As I get older

Wow, what a thread...from oogling Daisy to etherial poetry.

Never watched the show (was in college and first year or two of w*rk...musta been busy with other pursuits).

Could never understand the lure of old poetry...always had to have someone explain it to me, then I'd just say 'oh, I guess you had to be there'.

Wow, what a thread...from oogling Daisy to etherial poetry.

Never watched the show (was in college and first year or two of w*rk...musta been busy with other pursuits).

Could never understand the lure of old poetry...always had to have someone explain it to me, then I'd just say 'oh, I guess you had to be there'.

Well it is interesting/educational to know a bit about life and work of for example famous writers or composers. You can hear/read their work and you know they had difficulties in life as all of us do.

I can understand it much better now. It also provides me with better understanding why to FIRE.

Time is extremely valuable commodity :) Use it wisely.

CSPAN, PBS, and a couple other channels that don't have commercials. Some great stuff there, and no commercials! :clap:
This is from NPR, by way of YouTube. It relates to the topic of the thread, I believe. Of course it is a 1:33 hour response. Maybe cue this up tonight after dinner...

Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Tito Muñoz/Daniel Hope/Ensemble LPR - YouTube

And here is the NPR story on the re-composition.

Max Richter Recomposes 'The Four Seasons' : Deceptive Cadence : NPR

I actually found this thanks to the OP. I went off wandering as I normally due, trying to find a complementary link to Stoner Rock and Bob Seeger. But my mind went to thinking of major pieces and songs that capture the cycle of life. So there was The Four Seasons recomposed, and the rest is internet fodder now.

After you have had enough of watching Daisy (and women of young men with six-pack ab), give the following a shot. Hint: it's best to listen to it at night.

Or in the twilight of day, try this:

I liked this a lot as an 18 year old, and still do, but it seems appropriate to the thread:

[SIZE=+1]II. Loveliest of trees, the cherry now[/SIZE]

L[SIZE=-1]OVELIEST[/SIZE] of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,[SIZE=-2] 5[/SIZE]
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,[SIZE=-2] 10[/SIZE]
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

A.E. Housman (Shropshire Lad, 1896)

When I turned 64,
1. I don't feel I have to prove myself, I've worked 34 long years in a very demanding and stressful profession, so I'm more relaxed.
2. I don't have to keep up with anybody.
3. I'm able to control my temper and walk away from anything.
4. I listen to smooth jazz when I'm happy and listen to Bach when I'm in a somber mood.
5. I still run 3 miles a day. that's a core pursuit.
6. When I travel I take my time.
7. I try to enjoy every small thing I have or experience.
8. I also dismiss any bad thing, and wait of things to turn around.

I find I have to scrape more dead skin cells off my feet!

My various orifices need more attention.

I demand more from my literature -- my recent experiments in the YA category have been mostly banal. Hmm, maybe I'll write a YA series with depth! ;)

I take more pills.

As I get older...

:LOL:
Already there...
The Steinbeck quote was appropriate as I am doing "books on tape" ,"Travels With Charley", and am getting addicted to Turner Classic Movies... from the 30's and 40's.

About being there... Wellll... The best way to describe it, is to picture being surrounded with thousands of "boxes"... each one being something to Do, Think about, Experience, Remember, Consider, Plan, Prepare, Watch, etc, etc.

It's one at a time, and the skill comes in keeping each "box" separate. Most "boxes" have an an 'on-off'' button to keep everything pointed to whatever the current life's pleasure may be. The "Must Do's" also have Hold button, as in "If I die tomorrow, how important would this have been?"

This is a learning process, but I am finding that it gets easier as I get older. I honestly expect that when I turn 80, the plan will be completely under control. I am learning some of this under the tutelage of some of my seniors, who always seem to be in control of their lives, and a constantly ready for the next fun thing to do.

It may sound odd, and I'd like to explain more, but I just noticed that on my wooden Sancho Panza Statue, one of the donkey's ears has split off and needs repair.

Box #2147

I've compared this phase of my life to Homer's Odyssey. I'm returning from the war...a full circle to Ithaka.

"But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts for years, so you are old by the time you reach the island, wealthy with all you have gained on the way, not expecting Ithaka to make you rich. Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey. Without her you would not have set out. She has nothing left to give you now. And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you. Wise as you will have become, so full of experience, you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean." - C. Cavafy

Tres

I'm 63 and retired, although I consider myself "happy", I notice things that I never noticed before. I have never appreciated poetry. Nevertheless, I was watching an old movie (Night of the Iguana) and there is an old man in that movie that recites a poem just before he passes on. It really impacted me.......(I think written by Tennessee Williams)

How calmly does the olive branch
observe the sky begin to blanch :
without a cry , without a prayer ;
with no betrayal of despair.

Sometime while light obscures the tree ,
the zenith of its life will be :
gone , past , forever .
And from thence, a second history will commence :

a chronicle no longer gold ,
of bargaining with mist and mold ;
and finally the broken stem ,
the plummeting to earth , and then

An intercourse not well designed
for beings of a golden kind
whose native green must arch above
the Earth's obscene , corrupting love .

And still the ripe fruit and the branch
observe the sky begin to blanch :
without a cry , without a prayer ;
with no betrayal of despair .

Oh, courage ! Could you not as well
select a second place to dwell ?
Not only in that golden tree
but in the frightened heart of me ?

(note: accountants, like me, may have to re-read the poem several times!)

I went to a birthday party for a lady recently. Afterward, we did the Tipsy Dance to Paul Simon's "Have A Good Time":

Yesterday it was my birthday
I hung one more year on the line
I should be depressed
My life's a mess
But I'm having a good time.

From Still Crazy After All These Yesrs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom