Join Early Retirement Today

Bloomberg channel on tv--worth it?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bloomberg channel on tv--worth it?

Does everyone here who has to pay for the Bloomberg channel on tv buy it? And watch it? Worth it or not? Thanks!

(I couldn't seem to find a post on this in the archives.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Bloomberg came with my new "Sports and Financial" package that I got for $4 extra when getting my HGTV digital reception set up. I haven't been watching it much but maybe I should! I probably wouldn't pay extra for it, though. I do watch Fox Business sometimes, and the Biography channel, and History International that are all in that same package. Bloomberg just never seems to catch my attention.

Basically it seems a lot like CNBC to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

I like Bloomberg for Charlie Rose, whose show is on at night. For cable regular and financial news, my preference is "none of the above".

Charlie Rose's shows can be seen on his website so it wouldn't be worth paying more money.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

Since so many of the morning shows on Bloomberg seem to focus on financial news and insights, I was thinking maybe purchasing it might be worth the extra money. I'm debating....
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not worth it if you know how to read. Have you looked at bloomberg.com ? It is free.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I like it for 15 minutes at a time, but I would not pay extra for it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Not worth it if you know how to read. Have you looked at bloomberg.com ? It is free.
Agree I read this every day.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I watch Bloomberg occasionally as it's on my cable for free. I seem to watch Fox Business channel more and seldom do I watch CNBC.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Exactly. 15 minutes on my iPhone app while I am on the can every morning, and I got all I need.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #10

Put me in the camp of people who get Bloomberg on TV for free but would not pay for it. I'm glad it's there, but I rarely watch it. I am not fond of Fox at all, but will have CNBC on although they seem to be getting more and more frantic.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #11

Why not just get satellite radio? You can get Bloomberg, CNBC and a whole bunch of channels for $4.99 a month at home and in the car. That way, you can listen while doing something else.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I like it for 15 minutes at a time, but I would not pay extra for it.
+1. It comes with my satellite package, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it a la carte. I've checked it from time to time, but usually I try to ignore the TV financial shows as they are largely built on hyping greed and fear, the two emotions which have caused more financial ruin and destroyed more wealth than just about any others.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

It is part of my comcrap package and about the only thing I really like on it is Charlie Rose. But I really don't watch all that much TV.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Exactly. 15 minutes on my iPhone app while I am on the can every morning, and I got all I need.
Just hope that you remain constipated.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #15

I have watched it from time to time but I prefer CNBC then Fox business. All 3 are part of my Direct TV package, I would never pay extra for it.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #16

Pretty unanimous here. I get the message.