Google TV

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I am not a major television watcher but I do enjoy news programs and Bloomberg business news, etc.

That said, having been without a TV for awhile, so I recently bought one...just an inexpensive 50 inch screen, TCL brand from Target. I thought I was buying one embedded with Roku when I picked it out, but after I got it home, I saw the one they brought out - and that I bought, was embedded with Google TV.

I am not at all crazy about hauling the whole thing back to Target. ....

can I assume Google will provide, similar to Roku? assume this means a Roku device is incompatible?

I am not a major television watcher but I do enjoy news programs and Bloomberg business news, etc.

That said, having been without a TV for awhile, so I recently bought one...just an inexpensive 50 inch screen, TCL brand from Target. I thought I was buying one embedded with Roku when I picked it out, but after I got it home, I saw the one they brought out - and that I bought, was embedded with Google TV.

can I assume Google will provide, similar to Roku? assume this means a Roku device is incompatible?

The internet is your friend:

Google TV offers a more intuitive interface and works smoothly with your Android TV, Chromecast, and other streaming devices. They have over 10k+ apps and channels available for use. Similarly, Roku TV has a simpler, easy-to-use interface that does not require any guide to understand.May 11, 2023

The Roku TV user interface is much easier to use than the Google TV interface. The Roku remote control is easier and better to use than the Google TV remote control.

Google TV's home page has got lots of ads. Roku TV typically has one ad on the homepage and that's it. Google TV will suggest a lot of programs for you to watch based on your previous viewing habits. Roku will do this too but not nearly as often.

I thought Google TV homepage and navigating around was cluttered and too busy. The Roku TV is much cleaner and intuitive to use.

I would return the TCL brand TV with the Google operating system back to Target and pick out a TCL brand TV with Roku operating system. Yeah, it's somewhat of a hassle but you're going to have the TV for years and years. Better to have a TV that's easy to understand and use.

Google will do most, if not all things that Roku can do. Just like an Apple computer and a Windows PC can perform similar tasks, but use different software. Apple computers use the iOS operating system. Windows PCS use the Windows operating system.

Google TVs use Google's operating system and Roku TVs use Roku's operating system. I think that Roku's system is superior to Google's. If I were going to buy a TV and my choices were a TV with Roku built in or a TV with Google built in I would always choose Roku.

Finally, you could get a Roku streaming stick and plug it into the back of your Google TV but, why?

That's just the Roku channel.

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

Google TV will still have most of the same apps available but the screen might be more busy than you're used to.

If you prefer the more familiar Roku interface, you could plug a Roku device into one of the HDMI ports and use that.

My TCL Roku TV does not have a browser and I don't think the newer ones do either but I could be wrong on that. With Google TV I think you have a few browser options that you can download including Chrome if you want to browse the web on the TV

I have a Firestick, Google TV and Roku.

I only use the Roku. The other two don't work as well or as reliably. I always default to Roku.

You can always plug in a Roku to the HDMI port. Personally, I'd return the Google TV.

Back
Top Bottom