Booze! How much do you spend a month?

Beware of rum cake, beer battered fish and hush puppies, cherries flambe, JD barbque sauce and Nyquil....:rolleyes:

I'm another water drinker here. We keep a Brita pitcher in the refrigerator. DH likes O'Douls (alcohol free beer) because he likes the taste and the beer belch but doesn't want the alcohol. I buy 4-5 6 packs a month @ $4.59 each so that's about $20 a month.

I usually have a Corona once a summer but I forgot to do that this year. (I think I need to get out more!)

I have no sense of smell and very little sense of taste. If I have a drink or wine with food I can't taste anything! There are a few mixed drinks I like but I've never been a fan of wine.

For my MIL's 80 birthday the family bought her a case of her favorite wine from a local vineyard that does custom labels. They did a label with a picture of her as a child. Lovely idea and she loved the gift. We were all together and opened a bottle and did a round of toasts to her. I had a sip and almost blurted out "This is awful!". Just not my thing. I think it was a chardonnay.

This summer we got an iced tea machine. The tea is FANTASTIC, but the machine uses a lot of ice, so I have to remember to keep making ice cubes.

The young wife and I share a decent bottle of wine with dinner every night. The cost averages about $300 per month. (although we have been abstaining for the past month in an effort to lose weight -- it's working)

$0 for me.

DW- a couple of bottles of Chardonnay a month. (Lindemans, maybe $20?)
She claims it is because she is married to me.... :D

I am also a big fan of water with food. But I also like wine.

On months when I am drinking out of my "cellar" I maybe spend $20/month for an afterwork beer twice a month.

On months when I am actively adding to the "cellar" I can easily burn through $1000 a month. I'll usually buy a few bottles to try and then pick up a case of those that are wonderful (or promise to be so with a little aging).

Maybe it averages $300 a month over the course of a year. But the cellar is getting well populated. I've gone a year or more just drinking what I've laid down without any new additions, so I figure when I eventually get retired I'll be able to drop the wine budget to zero and live off what's stored.

I am also a big fan of water with food. But I also like wine.

On months when I am drinking out of my "cellar" I maybe spend $20/month for an afterwork beer twice a month.

On months when I am actively adding to the "cellar" I can easily burn through $1000 a month. I'll usually buy a few bottles to try and then pick up a case of those that are wonderful (or promise to be so with a little aging).

Maybe it averages $300 a month over the course of a year. But the cellar is getting well populated. I've gone a year or more just drinking what I've laid down without any new additions, so I figure when I eventually get retired I'll be able to drop the wine budget to zero and live off what's stored.

I live in a condo in CA right now, so no cellars here...but in the future after I fire I would probably relocate somewhere else (location TBD) but would LOVE to have a cellar for wine storage...

$0 for me (alcohol does nothing for me).Maybe $20/mo. for DH (beer only on the weekends if he's had a rough week).

Beware of rum cake, beer battered fish and hush puppies, cherries flambe, JD barbque sauce and Nyquil....:rolleyes:
:D

You forgot Listerine. SO much better than wine, and leaves you with that minty fresh flavor. ;)

We're boozers, I guess. We're like the Gumby family - at least 2 and sometimes 3 dinners a week we split part or all of a bottle of wine. We linger an hour or two at the table or on the patio just chatting - very pleasant. Rarely drink whiskey but when I do I really enjoy a decent bourbon on the rocks.

As an aside, for healthy souls an average of 2 glasses of wine a day for men, or 1 glass a day for women, seems to improve cardiovascular risk at no significant risk. Probably can go even a little higher with minimal risk. Start imbibing much more than that regularly, and some health risks increase proportionately.

It's a great quality of life expense item for us. Along with good food. Cost: maybe $200 per month, not counting when we eat out.

About 4 bottles/month red wine @ $30 = $120
Whoa! You're going for the high dollar stuff. What are you buying - Chianti Reserve from Italy?!?

We find a lot of good red at $10-12. $18 for us is a splurge. More than that - it had better be really good.

Of course there are a lot of folks on this forum who think our "normal" $10-$12 red wine is way overpriced.

Audrey

Whoa! You're going for the high dollar stuff. What are you buying - Chianti Reserve from Italy?!?

We find a lot of good red at $10-12. $18 for us is a splurge. More than that - it had better be really good.
We do a fair amount of wine tasting when we go out in the countryside, and often wind up picking up a couple of bottles here and there. Our usual sweet spot is in the $12-15 range, but sometimes we can find pretty good sipping wine for $8-10 and we'll occasionally go up to $18-20 for sufficiently "good stuff."

While my palate can discern between "good" wine and crap wine, it's not developed enough to justify the difference between "good" $15 wine and "really good" $30 wine.

Let's see...in past life, LH and I were major party animals. We would go out at least 2x per week after w*rk, have a few cold ones and pick up a pizza. We attended a lot of BYOB parties and always had beer in the house. I cringe to think about how much that cost us. :rolleyes:
dh2b doesn't like to party for the sake of partying, which is OK by me. I'm saving some of my liver for old age after years of near destruction. :LOL:
These days, I stick with NA beer (only 56 calories per 12 oz) if I have the urge for a nice cold one.
I buy him a regular bottle of Bailey's $20 for Christmas. We will have blender rum drinks for New Years' and split a bottle of
$10 NYS fine wine here and there. I go through maybe a case of beer, $15 approx, every 2 months.

Liquor taxes are really terrible here. :nonono: And it's just going to get worse...

:D

You forgot Listerine. SO much better than wine, and leaves you with that minty fresh flavor. ;)

We're boozers, I guess. We're like the Gumby family - at least 2 and sometimes 3 dinners a week we split part or all of a bottle of wine. We linger an hour or two at the table or on the patio just chatting - very pleasant. Rarely drink whiskey but when I do I really enjoy a decent bourbon on the rocks.

As an aside, for healthy souls an average of 2 glasses of wine a day for men, or 1 glass a day for women, seems to improve cardiovascular risk at no significant risk. Probably can go even a little higher with minimal risk. Start imbibing much more than that regularly, and some health risks increase proportionately.

It's a great quality of life expense item for us. Along with good food. Cost: maybe $200 per month, not counting when we eat out.

I've read that health-wise, at least for women, its a toss-up...even moderate drinking (1 glass of wine/day) seems to increase risk of some types of cancer but lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.

My take is, if you enjoy it, by all means imbibe...moderately. If you don't, no need to start for the cardiovascular benefits...other ways to get that as well (exercise, good overall diet, etc).

I've read that health-wise, at least for women, its a toss-up...even moderate drinking (1 glass of wine/day) seems to increase risk of some types of cancer but lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.

My take is, if you enjoy it, by all means imbibe...moderately. If you don't, no need to start for the cardiovascular benefits...other ways to get that as well (exercise, good overall diet, etc).
Rich is a doctor... But I suppose opinions can vary. However for me, I'll toast to the advice from Rich. ;)

Our three year average is $99.38 per month.

I would have sworn it was higher.

I guess that means I need to start drinking more. :clap:

Severe allergy to most alcohol here, but I manage to maybe steal one beer from my son a month. Big whoops!

Interesting thread, now I feel like a total boozer!!

Beer (4 6pk/mo: $30)
Wine (4 bot.mo: $30)
Happy Hours/"networking events": (3/mo: $90)

DBF usually pays for the keg in the kegerator, and we don't usually consume all of the beer at once (there are probably 30+ cans/bottles of beer in the fridge (but it will stay there until the next party (Bud & something else gross!) Wine goes with food and friends! As long as I choose to keep it in the budget and it does not affect my savings rate, it's all good!

You boozer, you! :greetings10: I've always wanted a kegerator! Bud will stay in our house until it is thrown away--seems like someone always leaves some of it here after a party. I have a 12-pack of Fat Tire that I've hidden in the bedroom so we won't drink it all at once. Only get two cold at a time.

We're heading to the Savannah CraftBrew Festival the first weekend of September and I'm looking forward to all the sampling. We're taking a cab to the waterfront and catching the free river ferry across for the all you can taste extravaganza! I hope I earn my hangover! :D

Check out the brewers: Savannah Craft Brew Fest

I never drink alcohol at home or when I eat. I do however go out to clubs and bars occasionally to listen to dj's. My drink of choice is vodka. Absolut to be specific. I get it mixed with cranberry, lemonade, or Red Bull. I spend about $30 per trip. Maybe 10 times a year for a total of $300/yr or ~$25/mo.

Until recently, I'd do about 3 - 6 packs of Bud Light a week or about $72 per month. DW might spend another $10 per month when out with her friends. I heard yesterday that Illinois is adding a huge excise tax with sales tax on top of that. So I quit drinking except for when we are dining out. This should cut my monthly beer bill down to about $24

Rich is a doctor... But I suppose opinions can
However for me, I'll toast to the advice from Rich. ;)
Though Canine is right, too. The numbers I cited were for healthy average risk folks. For example, if you have significant breast cancer risk factors, I'd keep it to 1 oz per day or less.

Probably $100/month on wine. No beer because of the gluten in it.

Back
Top Bottom