Can a gift card be returned for refund?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I received a Mastercard gift card purchased from Wal-mart. The giver thoughtfully included the receipt. While grateful for the gift, I'd rather have what the giver paid for it - especially since there's a $3.94 activation fee.

Has anyone ever returned a gift card to the place of purchase for a refund?

Thanks,

Amethyst

Generally, no refunds. But you can check.

If you have a PIN number, you can set up a Amex BlueBird account and transfer the money to that account. Then, you can transfer it anywhere, or write a check on it.

Most girt cards have a PIN number.

I would just spend it anywhere I can use a credit card - grocery store, gas pump, etc. where I was going to spend money anyway.

I would just spend it anywhere I can use a credit card - grocery store, gas pump, etc. where I was going to spend money anyway.

That's what I did with the $300 rebate AMEX card that Canon sent me on the printer I bought. Spent it all at the grocery store on stuff I was going to buy anyway.

Mastercard/Visa gift cards are great in that you can just spend them like a regular credit card.

I've seen Coinstar kiosks in grocery stores where you can exhange gift cards (Mastercard not one of them) for cash. I've never used Coinstar before, but here's a link:

https://www.coinstar.com/coinstarexchange

When I get one of these I use it to make a partial payment on my utility bill. Then I can keep the cash I didn't use for the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks - I have zero problems knowing how to spend the card.

I just wondered if anyone had ever returned one, that was given as a gift, for cash.

Apparently, no one has.

A.

Back
Top Bottom