Chip Credit Card Hacked in Australia............

Cut-Throat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just spent the Winter in Australia and on the last day day there, my Sapphire Chase Credit Card with Chip was hacked. I don't think the Russians were involved as the attempted purchase was in the same town of 50,000, that we had been living in for 3 months.

I have a Credit Card hacked about every 9 months and I thought the Chip might slow it down... But no.... I was surprised that it was in Australia, as every vendor has the Chip machine and the card never leaves your hands, as they bring out the Reader to your table at a restaurant.

The only hassle for me was to change my on-line storage of the Credit Card info for repeat purchases.... I solved this a few years ago, by using a separate credit card on-line repeat purchases and carry a different one in my pocket. So, now it's not a big deal to have someone use my Credit Card... Identity theft is the one that I worry about!

Last edited:
So have you every used it in a machine in the US that was swipe only?

It's definitely suspicious that the card was used in your same town.

Have you ever used it to order anything online? I'm always leery about online credit card use since chip is no protection there.

Technically fraudulent credit card use is considered ID theft since someone is impersonating you, even though the ramifications aren't nearly as serious or long-lived as someone having your SS# and birth date.

The criminals do not have to see your card to use it. All they need is the data. The data is in the systems that process your transactions and is available to people who work with those systems.

The criminals do not have to see your card to use it. All they need is the data. The data is in the systems that process your transactions and is available to people who work with those systems.
+1

I remember PCI audits. I'm glad I'm retired.

I never understood why someone would try such a thing, most eventually are caught. I guess I don't understand how many ignorant people there are.

+1 ..... You got that right....

Anyone that thinks they can do anything to prevent this fraud is fooling themselves. What you can do is minimize the hassle when it happens. (Use Multiple Credit Cards and keep a separate # for the cards stored on-line - To avoid the hassle of changing them.)

Last edited:
You should go to the news groups if what you say is true. Having been is the credit card biz I have not seen any evidence that chip can be hacked. But always a first time I'm sure.

You should go to the news groups if what you say is true. Having been is the credit card biz I have not seen any evidence that chip can be hacked. But always a first time I'm sure.

Chase Sapphire was not surprised at all. --- Similar to the arms race.

For a "card not present" transaction, the chip is not used.

For a "card not present" transaction, the chip is not used.

And that is what is a little strange to me.... I spent 3 months in this town of 50,000 and never saw anything other than a 'Chip Machine'. The two transactions that went through were at a local pizza joint with a chip reader...

The one that failed (And Chase notified me) was for an on-line transaction..... So, it would seem that the chips can be duplicated...

And that is what is a little strange to me.... I spent 3 months in this town of 50,000 and never saw anything other than a 'Chip Machine'. The two transactions that went through were at a local pizza joint with a chip reader...

The one that failed (And Chase notified me) was for an on-line transaction..... So, it would seem that the chips can be duplicated...

A little worrisome. Will not use a CC unless there is a chip reader, except separate card for monthly auto pays.:mad:

Chips prevent card cloning, they don't, by themselves, prevent data theft. The card number is transmitted unencrypted from the chip. It is up to the terminal to do any encryption and many don't, not to mention those that have malware installed on them.

A little worrisome. Will not use a CC unless there is a chip reader...............

Except that this will not prevent fraud.

And don't worry too much... it's the Credit Card Company's problem, more than yours.

It's everyone's problem.

The costs of fraud are born by all. Not directly, but the merchants all have to charge more to cover credit card fees, and we all pay for that.

Don't really know for sure, but I seriously doubt that your card with chip was duplicated. It is more likely that the information was stolen from inside a data center.

If you ever worked in one of those data centers you would know that it is really easy for a trusted employee or contractor to get this information. There is also a high probability of getting caught and suffering the consequences, which can be pretty severe.

Chips cannot stop data theft.

Last edited:
It's everyone's problem.

The costs of fraud are born by all. Not directly, but the merchants all have to charge more to cover credit card fees, and we all pay for that.

yea sure.... It's like the Breakfast of Ham and Eggs.... The Pig was committed and the Chicken was only involved.

Little story. I was working for a hardware vendor, but I was strictly a software person specializing in transaction processor problem determination. This was kind of a service we provided our hardware customers, especially the high profile ones who spent a lot with us. Sometimes it was billable and sometimes not.

A major card processor (Ba.. of ......a) had a serious high profile outage in one of their card authorization systems during "peak season" which was in December. I was called over and given a storage dump which is where you start in the problem determination process. It was about 6PM so I asked the customer if I could take the dump home and call her in the morning. She said OK.

Found the problem and had a suggested fix by 10AM the next day.

Years later I found the storage dump (about a 12 inch thick stack of paper) in my garage. It had thousands of sets of card and cardholder information in it. I personally shredded it in my employers Cummins-powered shredder. If I had taken it back to the bank that could have possibly gotten my customer (with whom I had a very good business relationship) in some pretty hot water.

Last edited:

No, the chip did not need to be duplicated to do an online transaction. But somehow they got at least your number and expiration.

Last edited:
I finally wised up and use a separate credit card for my reoccurring payments so now if I lose my credit card or it is compromised I don't have to redo everything. That credit card never leaves the house.

I've been in the east coast of Oz for a little over two months and I am using a Chase Sapphire credit card as well. How did you find out about the fraudulent activity?

We will be taking a 40 day cruise to Vancouver, B.C. In a couple of weeks and won't have much internet access for notification.

I finally wised up and use a separate credit card for my reoccurring payments so now if I lose my credit card or it is compromised I don't have to redo everything. That credit card never leaves the house.

I've been in the east coast of Oz for a little over two months and I am using a Chase Sapphire credit card as well. How did you find out about the fraudulent activity?

We will be taking a 40 day cruise to Vancouver, B.C. In a couple of weeks and won't have much internet access for notification.

Helen, if that makes you feel comfortable and secure, then good.

But your credit card information goes through data centers and it can be hacked from there -- even the credit cards that never leave your house.

If you use a credit card, there is some possibility that it can be compromised.

I got an e-mail from Chase. What city are you in? we spent 3 months in Hervey Bay.

Last edited:
No, the chip did not need to be duplicated to do an online transaction. But somehow they got at least your number and expiration.

That's what I said. The on-line transaction DID NOT go through for the Fraud Charge.

The two transactions that were posted and fraudulent went through in person at a chip reader.

I got an e-mail from Chase. What city are you in? we spent 3 months in Hervey Bay.

We spent three days in Brisbane, a month in Byron Bay, two nights in Hervey Bay (we did the two day Fraser Island tour and loved it!), two nights in Gladstone, four nights on Heron Island, one week in Airlie Beach and we leave tomorrow for eight nights in Cairns. Then we fly to Sydney for three nights before taking a 40 day Holland America Cruise.

How did you enjoy your stay in Hervey Bay? The town was much bigger than I expected.

Helen, if that makes you feel comfortable and secure, then good.

But your credit card information goes through data centers and it can be hacked from there -- even the credit cards that never leave your house.

If you use a credit card, there is some possibility that it can be compromised.

So far I've not had a credit card hacked but I have lost my wallet and or credit card numerous times. So if nothing else, this protects me from myself. :)

Interesting. Just shows nothing is foolproof. Luckily I have never had a cc hacked. Probably just a matter of time......

We spent three days in Brisbane, a month in Byron Bay, two nights in Hervey Bay (we did the two day Fraser Island tour and loved it!), two nights in Gladstone, four nights on Heron Island, one week in Airlie Beach and we leave tomorrow for eight nights in Cairns. Then we fly to Sydney for three nights before taking a 40 day Holland America Cruise.

How did you enjoy your stay in Hervey Bay? The town was much bigger than I expected.

Hervey Bay was a perfect place to base out of. We spent the entire 3 months in Hervey Bay. And from there I fished in Hervey Bay and offshore, did Fraser Island, Lady Elliot island. Perfect weather and amazing wildlife.

Back
Top Bottom