Confidence

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A famous line used in the inaugural address of FDR, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Let's get a grip America.

Remember to say "It's only a paper loss until you sell..It's only a paper loss..It's only a darn paper loss!" :LOL:

I'm switching off the boob tube, too much doom and gloom on both sides of the Atlantic. Time to go golfing and fishing.

Well... the stakes are high for people.

I am considering when to rebalance. But I do not want to get cut by the falling knife.

I think many are going to wait until things stabilize.

I feel as though my confidence has only been slightly bruised. however, the longer this downturn and volatility last, the grumpier I feel. I'm starting to walk around with a frown and I'm concerned about having to tack a year on to my FIRE plan.:facepalm:

Although I will admit that when seeing the title of a recent Jacob post, titled "Make Socks Last" I thought at first that it read "Make Stocks Last", so I guess this market is having at least some sub-conscious effect on me:D

The S&P 500 is lower today than on January 1st, 2000. The market tanked in '02 then recovered until '08 than tanked again and recovered somewhat until tanking again now. I am beginning to think that the market is not a place for long term buy and hold investors as it had been for the latter half of the 1990's. The market is now set up for short term trading (betting) with the expansion of the options markets and short selling. I wish that I could be confident the market will be higher ten years from now then it is today, but I'm not. I am :mad: that we have elected officials that are ideological zealots when the people are overwhelming asking for compromise to reduce the debt.

@Col. - I think you have made the case for rebalancing every year.
Agreed.

Long term buy and hold is not the same thing as long term buy and hold, and hold, and hold, etc.

I/DW are long term buy/hold, but that never kept us from "harvesting" our gains and either rebalance or in these days of retirement, add the gains to our cash to cover expenses.

A famous line used in the inaugural address of FDR, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Let's get a grip America.

Yes, but tell that to the quants that trade electronically based on their algorithms. They have no fear or emotion, but it sure affects the rest of us.

This morning, I read a short article in the WSJ. It was about average investors. Yesterday one guy was watching his portolio and he saw that Apple had dropped something like 3%, so he sold all his shares. Then he went to a meeting and when he came back, he saw Apple was up 1% for the day, so he bought all his shares back. Duh, is this the average mentality today? No wonder no one has any money.

At work, the plan that I contribute to has a general savings account that you can use and the interest is guaranteed to never go below 3%. Or you can put your money in the market, bonds or mutual funds. I took mine out of equities and mutual funds a couple of weeks ago and put it all in the 3% savings. I figure that is better I can expect elsewhere right now, and I just can't stand to lose so much money like I did last time. I guess I'm more of a chicken that others here.

At work, the plan that I contribute to has a general savings account that you can use and the interest is guaranteed to never go below 3%. Or you can put your money in the market, bonds or mutual funds. I took mine out of equities and mutual funds a couple of weeks ago and put it all in the 3% savings. I figure that is better I can expect elsewhere right now, and I just can't stand to lose so much money like I did last time. I guess I'm more of a chicken that others here.

Are you sure about that gaurantee? We had something similar, but the interest rate changed from time to time, so you had to watch it.

Are you sure about that gaurantee? We had something similar, but the interest rate changed from time to time, so you had to watch it.

If it is issued by an insurer, some accounts like those have guaranteed yearly renewable rates..........;)

I'm fully prepared for the market to go up and down, but isn't the volatility getting just a bit out of control?

When I look at charts over the long term you can clearly see the blips, but the roller coaster of the last decade scares me...not enough to do anything rash like get out of the market, but we're retiring in five years and I'd like to have some confidence that our money won't disappear.

...and maybe I just told myself that our 60/40 AA isn't right...will have to think on that one.

Attachments

• despairdemotivationalposter.jpg
    despairdemotivationalposter.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
Well, it seems we don't need to look forward to either despair or to dawn, since AFAIK it isn't all that dark, at all, and hasn't been so far....:cool:

If I listened to CNBC, which in my previous post I guessed was the inspiration for this thread, then I would probably think otherwise.

Last edited:

Have you been listening to CNBC? :)

Remember also, W2R, "It is always darkest before dawn."

Ripper, why do you think that America is freaked out? I'm sure not, and not many people here on the forum seem to be freaked out except you. You didn't answer - - Have you been listening to CNBC? (I haven't.) Is that where you got this idea? If you are listening to CNBC and that is what you are hearing, I'd suggest that you shut your TV off, or change the channel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom