Join Early Retirement Today

Conversation About Savings
Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Conversation About Savings

My DW relayed a conversation she overheard at w*rk this morning. The conversation was taking place between folks (four of them) that make a minimum of 60K a year each and are in their early to mid-40's. 3 of the 4 have no children, and one of them has one child. Long story short, a client disclosed to them that she had spent about $19,000 on a kidney transplant on an elderly cat and the conversation morphed into "Wow...I can't believe someone has that much savings!" and "I just don't have the money to save and don't think about it". Then there was the rambling as to *why* they hadn't started saving. My DW said she took the opportunity to leave and walk around a bit before she got dragged into the conversation.

I have often heard that a lot of folks don't really have that much $ in savings. I always thought that most of that was "click bait" type articles and that most people saved *something* at least. But after hearing that, I am beginning to wonder if these articles are on to something? Even worse with the folks that were in that conversation, the employer has a very generous 401K match that I am guessing none of them are taking advantage of.

I have no real point here...just thought I would share.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. I don't know why this stuff is so amazing but it always is.

About 25 years ago I bought my wife a nice car; Merkur Scorpio super-coupe that Ford imported for a couple of years. She was in a similar circle at work and talking about the fact that I had just bought her a car. Someone asked "OK, but who is going to make the payments?" They were flabbergasted when she said "There are no payments. He paid cash."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 56, my DW is 64 we began saving through 401ks back 35 years. We were able to retire going on 5 years ....... Our kids were raised as I was, you have to work for what you want. All three kids have been working since they were 15, One drives trains (engineer), one is a PRN, the other has a good job as a project manager....... All three contribute to their 401ks ....... Save Save Save ..... Retire early
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Yeah. I don't know why this stuff is so amazing but it always is.
A different way of thinking I suppose. I have a bunch of relatives on both sides who can't hang on to a nickel. A nephew & his wife were sorority houseparents for ~10 years and had virtually no housing or even food expenses. They should have been able to write a check for a house when that gig was up but they hadn't saved anything.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Long story short, a client disclosed to them that she had spent about $19,000 on a kidney transplant on an elderly cat
Much as I like pets, I can't see spending that on a few years of extra cat life.

Quote:
I have often heard that a lot of folks don't really have that much $ in savings. I always thought that most of that was "click bait" type articles and that most people saved *something* at least. But after hearing that, I am beginning to wonder if these articles are on to something?
Most if it is indeed clickbait.
Still, there are many folks without any real retirement savings.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Southern California, I'm surrounded by them. Many make great salaries. This is an example how they do it:

It's surprisingly easy to end up living paycheck to paycheck when you earn $500,000 a year - Business Insider
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the pet owner really used savings. Actually, I'd be surprised if someone that would spend 19k for this would have any substantial savings unless they were truly affluent. I've never had savings like that in my entire life because it was all in my 401k.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

Long ago a coworker who had been vocal about having difficulty making ends meet suddenly showed up in a brand new upper end vehicle. When asked what he paid for it his reply was "I didn't pay anything for it. I put it on credit".

I was "involuntarily retired" in 2016... but since we lived on about 26% of my take home pay its looking like its going to be OK.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I was a manager our VP insisted we meet with each employee and talk about the importance of saving for retirement.

Wow did I learn some stuff.

Of course there's no shortage of vets that will gladly take your money and make it theirs. I recently explained that no, my almost 12 year old dog isn't going to have cataract surgery. Given his eyes are only 4" off the ground and sees people and dogs at a distance I don't think it's a problem.

Only 6 months prior the same vet said the dog had Nuclear sclerosis, not cataracts.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

[QUOTE=joeea;2025980]Much as I like pets, I can't see spending that on a few years of extra cat life.

Talk about a 19k elephant in the room! To me that is a form of malpractice. Tugging on the heartstrings of a loving pet owner.

Now back to the subject of saving...
Old 03-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Long ago a coworker who had been vocal about having difficulty making ends meet suddenly showed up in a brand new upper end vehicle. When asked what he paid for it his reply was "I didn't pay anything for it. I put it on credit". ...
Always amazing. I had a friend who owned a bar that failed, then went to work for a railroad in some blue collar position.

He bought a new Toyota SUV and commented "I didn't think I could afford it but the salesman said I could."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
He bought a new Toyota SUV and commented "I didn't think I could afford it but the salesman said I could."
A SIL is like that. When her old car needed brake pads and tires she traded it in and bought a new car. "The payments are only $15/month more, and that's cheaper than new tires." Talk about "Kentucky math".

Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #13

None of this is surprising. We live in a society of spend spend spend, and me me me. "I deserve it." "Why can't I have it if someone else has it." "It's not fair that I can't have it", and so on. It isn't just low income folks. I saw the same thing with people making over 200K.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #14

Wants vs. Needs
Old 03-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #15

Here in Lima Peru, nobody talks about savings,retirement or seem to be interested in material goods. They all seem to be happy with a two dollar lunch and dancing and a few beer's at the end of the day. When I was young, I had the expensive cars,clothes,houses and could not piss the money away fast enough. Since I met my young wife 15 years ago, I have learned to live my life everyday, enjoy my kids, where I am fortunate to live, my health. I give money it's due but rarely think about it.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the cat thing was a whole 'nother subject.

We have spent a substantial amount of cash on some elderly pets, but no way I would fess up over 10K for a cat that is over 15 years old.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Yeah, the cat thing was a whole 'nother subject.

We have spent a substantial amount of cash on some elderly pets, but no way I would fess up over 10K for a cat that is over 15 years old.
Made me think of this post from long ago, complaining about delaying retirement due to high expenses:

Quote:
...spent $1k+ today to have one of our cats teeth cleaned, which is a recurring expense for all four cats and the dog, despite our brushing their teeth twice a day.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #18

I paid cash for a new vehicle last January before I retired. One of my coworkers asked me if I got a good interest rate. I told him, "Why yes! Zero percent!" I wanted to avoid the inevitable look of disbelief that anyone could actually pay cash for a vehicle, even though he knew my old one was over ten years old. Then again, it wouldn't have occurred to him that by holding onto a vehicle that long you can easily save enough to buy the next one if you just don't spend what would have been the car payment.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

I find the statistics on savings interesting. Many quotes, but seldom what makes up this savings rate or amount. Example, we had a 401K, which is not included in some 'savings' stats. Also money contributed to retirement plans are not included. It has been several years since I looked up the 'national savings rate' but it did not seem to include anything other than money you put in the bank after you get your pay check.

Having said that, I agree, people don't save enough, and we will all pay the price in the long run. When the politicians go after money they will knock on the door of people like the ones on here. Just like the bank robber that said 'I rob banks because that's where the money is'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

poor cat........and poor donor cat..........its not like they can consent to such a thing, although it is my understanding that the owner has to agree to adopt the donor cat.....as much as i love my cats, this not something i would do for precisely these reasons, additional suffering for both cats that they cannot understand..this includes the anti rejection drugs for life..regarding financial ignorance and the "grab the cupcake rather than wait awhile to get two cupcakes" mentality, among my many acquaintances and even some friends and family, it appears to be rampant
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote