Dividends and distributions

Patience

Dryer sheet wannabe
I couldn't find a thread for this question. Perhaps it's silly.
When running retirement calculators do you subtract dividends from the $$ amount needed for expenses? Or is it assumed that the dividends are already calculated into the appreciation value of the investment. Since the thought is dividend stocks don't appreciate as much as growth stocks, the two are ultimately equal by comparison when dividends get factored back into the equation.

I believe dividends are assumed to be reinvested. Just indicated your actual living expenses. The calculator don't care/specify the withdrawal comes from dividends or capital gain/loss.

Do not subtract dividends from the amount needed for monthly expenses.

Portfoliovisualizer.com offers the option to reinvest dividends or not in the backtest portfolio section.

PortfolioVisualizer now has paid levels of service. Features you used to find for free, may now be removed.

Sad, but true.

I couldn't find a thread for this question. Perhaps it's silly.
When running retirement calculators do you subtract dividends from the $$ amount needed for expenses? Or is it assumed that the dividends are already calculated into the appreciation value of the investment. Since the thought is dividend stocks don't appreciate as much as growth stocks, the two are ultimately equal by comparison when dividends get factored back into the equation.
LOL That sounds like wishful thinking. No, don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom