Cool Excel addin to pull live stock quotes into a SS

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
I posted this deep in another thread, but thought I'd give its own thread so more people could see it.

Its an excel addin from Microsoft that retreives live quotes (ok, 20 min delay) from MSN Moneycentral and pulls them into your spreadsheet. There's even a button its adds to the task bar to update them (they do not update automatically with each calc of the spreadsheet)

An example is as follows:

=MSNStockQuote("MSFT","Last Price","US")

would bring in the last trade for Microsoft.

=MSNStockQuote("/USDEUR","Last Price","US")

brings in the EURUSD exchange rate.

The addin can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D8-9305-4535-B939-3BF0A740A9B1&displaylang=en

Google spreadsheets does that an also pulls in a ton of other data. Plus you can access it from anywhere (just be careful what you put in there for security's sake). It exports as an xls file as well.

Google to the rescue again

Google spreadsheets does that an also pulls in a ton of other data. Plus you can access it from anywhere (just be careful what you put in there for security's sake). It exports as an xls file as well.

Eureka! That is totally cool! I've used Google spreadsheets but did not know they had that function. I'm an open source/free software guy (I mean really, who would *pay* good money for software?), but was not able to find such a function for the otherwise superb OpenOffice suite (OpenOffice.org: Home). But since Google can do this, I'm now set. Thanks!

I'm an open source/free software guy (I mean really, who would *pay* good money for software?), but was not able to find such a function for the otherwise superb OpenOffice suite (OpenOffice.org: Home).

OpenOffice does have a generic web query function, which can be used for the same purpose. More flexible, though probably takes a bit longer to learn how to use.

Eureka! That is totally cool! I've used Google spreadsheets but did not know they had that function. I'm an open source/free software guy (I mean really, who would *pay* good money for software?), but was not able to find such a function for the otherwise superb OpenOffice suite (OpenOffice.org: Home). But since Google can do this, I'm now set. Thanks!
I have a basic script in Open Office Calc that pulls down the latest quote for all my holdings. I like the idea of Google Docs since it would be accessible anywhere so I may set one of those up too.

I uploaded my OO sheet to GoogleDocs and replaced my formulas with Google's. Works great. Thanks for the tip. It was also easy to add entries for return to date and a weighted average return to date for my funds.

Back
Top Bottom