Cost of Living Calculators

Otis

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hey all,

The wife and I have been speculating on a potential move from our current home to the next state North (Michigan). I've poked around on google looking for a comprehensive Cost of Living calculator, but most only list the major metro areas. They don't list our current residence (a suburb), and the spot(s) we're looking at are comparitively out in the boonies. I know that I can get a general feel for what this will do by picking the nearest metro areas, but having tried a few readily available examples, I'm either going to need to make 10% more or will need 5% less. :-X Does anyone out there have any good links to share?

Otis said:
Hey all,

The wife and I have been speculating on a potential move from our current home to the next state North (Michigan).  I've poked around on google looking for a comprehensive Cost of Living calculator, but most only list the major metro areas.  They don't list our current residence (a suburb), and the spot(s) we're looking at are comparitively out in the boonies.  I know that I can get a general feel for what this will do by picking the nearest metro areas, but having tried a few readily available examples, I'm either going to need to make 10% more or will need 5% less.   :-X  Does anyone out there have any good links to share?

No links, but I liked everything about Michigan except the weather.
I even liked Detroit, which many people found amazing. Good luck with it.

JG

Hi Otis, and welcome to MI. As always an answer depends, as in where you plan on living. The suburbs around the major cities are probably more expensive than the cities. But if you want rural as in boonies, it can be a lot cheaper. Where I live, near Lake Huron, in a golf resort sub with club house, security, private beachs, fishing ponds, ect. a average house (1400-2000 sf) could be had for around 140,000 to 180,000 on a large lot with green belts between the properties. That house in a Detroit sub would be 250,000 or more depending where. The other things like utilities are about the same, you will be further away from the big box stores and malls, if you can take that life can be great here. Maybe you should pick several areas where you might want to live, then look at real estate prices on the web......Shredder

Thanks for the thoughts so far....

Actually, we're looking in the Muskegon/Ludington area on the West side. My grandparents started going to a little fishing resort there in the late 70s, and my family picked up in the mid 80s. We've been back probably 15 of the past 20 summers for weeks at a time, so I feel like I know the area pretty well ... almost as if I grew up there. The wife and I have known for awhile that when it came time to ER, we'd attempt to head in that direction, but after some conversations this week, we may try to move there while we're still actively working a desk job.

I have no love for Detroit and could really do without almost any metro area. Just put me within an hour or so of Walmart or a Meijer's and I'll be ok. I've got no problems at all living in the countryside, though it would probably mean giving up the cable modem.

One of the things making us consider the move is the outrageous growth around Indianapolis right now. Five years ago, my commute was 25 minutes, now it's 45 or longer, and chuckleheads behind the wheel everywhere we go.

Another thing is that I hate winters in Indianapolis. I grew up in Northern Indiana, where once it gets cold, it at least stays cold for awhile. I don't mind snow once the roads are clear, and cold doesn't bother me. In Indy, it hovers around 35-40 most of the winter, which isn't good for much except making for drizzly days and lots of frozen mud. When it snows, it's usually melting by the time the roads are cleared off, which is no fun at all. At the same time, the wife wants to live in a place that still has seasons, so my next choice of AZ is probably out of the question.

Thanks for the data points on housing costs. I guess instead of a cost of living wizard, I could just search for some real estate pages and see what the market looks like.

You might want to look at Flagstaff, AZ. It's a mountainous area that gets snow in the winter. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom