Could early retirement kill you?

I see no reason why the average retiree / early retiree can't reclaim his or her youth. What I mean is that there's no reason that the average 60 year old can't be as fit or even more fit than those in their 20's. Most people can be very physically active well into their 80's. For example, I go bicycling with people in their 60's/70's who have more endurance/speed than their grandchildren. They can do things that most people would find astonishing. And these people are not super athletes. They are average people simply doing what they enjoy. I think it's more mental than physical.

Well, except for some nasty DNA.

Exactly what is the difference between going to bed at 10PM and getting up at 6AM and bed at 12:30AM and up at 8:30AM? Except that now I can stay up until 12:30AM and sleep until 8:30AM.:rolleyes:

Get to see the late night shows. :D

My normal hit the sack time lately is around 10 or 10:30. And no interest in the late night shows. Still practicing retirement, only have three years experience. Another ten or so and I'll be a good beginner.:LOL:

...My normal hit the sack time lately is around 10 or 10:30. And no interest in the late night shows. Still practicing retirement, only have three years experience. Another ten or so and I'll be a good beginner.:LOL:
Yeah, exactly what ls99 said, except modify exp time to 2.5 years.
Still an anti-TV (non educational TV, that is ;)) fanatic here. Hey, I avoid politics and religion so I have to be passionate about something besides sex and money. :cool:

I usually go to bed at 11 and wake up at 8:30. I'm trying to make up for all the 5:15 wake up days.

So, early retirement may kill you. But does one die with a smile on her face? ;)

After asking questions about sleep and health issues, I started a little test on how it might be for me in retirement. I'm taking 2 weeks vacation so decided to pretend (somewhat) that I was retired. Started off staying up way to late and sleeping to late (not planned just happened). Then I automatically started waking up rather early. So, I started doing little projects that I had been putting off forever & ever. I'll have to say it is really nice to accomplish these little things at my own speed without a worry. I'm just doing one at a time and if I get tired, I chill out.
I THINK I COULD LIVE LIKE THIS FULL TIME !!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
It really is nice to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
After just 3 or 4 days, I started getting into the thought of the life style and enjoying it.
Hey, I'm a fast learner or maybe just a natural born Lazy Arse . :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully my family health insurance coverage and my financial plans will come together soon.
Steve

Did any of you find that you started staying up later at night and sleeping later in the day after retirement?
If so, do you consider it a mistake, as far as health is concerned?
Is it better to try and maintain an early to rise life style?
Is there merit in the Early to bed, early to rise, makes retiree's health wealthy and wise?....
I've tried to settle on an early time to get up because many of my favorite activites start in the morning or mid-day. Even on days without those plans, I do want to be up and about before sunset which is earlier this time of year.:rolleyes: Don't know if I've reached an age where I need less sleep or if I need less sleep because the job stress is gone and sleep is sounder. This may be against the retirees' code of ethics but I do sometimes set an alarm. I'm also starting to cut down on caffeine, and if I must have a cup after noon, I make it decaf now.

I have been retired 4 months now, but I have running buddies who still want me to run with them at 6AM. I continue to do some of this, but more and more I just don't want to this early. I told them when the cold starts to blow not to expect me early mornings.

And by the way, I love not having stress from the job anymore. I had gotten to the point if I saw one more finance project come my way I was going to scream! It just got sickening to me. I think I'll live longer now that I retired.

That's exactly what I would need to completely reclaim my health, so I hope that I will have similar results after retirement. It will be very soon, and I am taking some unused vacation time until about a week before ER. Have started losing weight and trying to decompress, already. :)
Is your avatar your real picture? You look too young to retire. :)

Back
Top Bottom