Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,179
Covered calls made easy....too easy?

My coworker has been using this service for some time (around 12 months) and thinks it's the best thing ever. Maybe he's just had a lucky spell. Fees are high, but if you really can get the return they claim, well... Anyone seen this or have an opinion?

http://www.poweroptionsapplied.com/

__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 454
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

I've heard of people advertising covered call strategies on the radio.

IMO, the game is probably over. It may have been profitable in the past, and insanely profitable on a risk adjusted basis, but if now everybody's doing it, watch out!
__________________

__________________
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,763
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

I sell covered calls when I think they make sense. I am not getting rich doing so.

First, you have to own the underlying stock. That makes it pretty easy because you either already own the stock or you want to own the stock even if you weren't going to write a covered call. So because you own the stock, you only have to look for calls on the stocks you own. That's pretty easy to do with an Excel spreadsheet with the stock-quote plugin. Next you just run your spreadsheet and have it change the cell to green background when it makes sense to sell the covered call. "Makes sense" to me is a premium of more than 1.5% for a short-term option of 30 days or less with enough volume to allow you to get it and commissions that are less than 10% of the transaction. You also have to accept that the stock may get called away and you are giving up potential gains in the stock for that option.

Anyways, it ain't rocket science. I didn't see anything on the web site mentioned that would make me want to pay for something that I can do on my own just by opening up an Excel file.
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Two things always bothered me about this strategy...

1) Your maximum upside is the price of the call (minus commissions/spread and short term taxes) while maintaining almost the entire downside if the underlying stock were to fall substantially.* Maximum risk / limited reward.

2) A lot of people use this with large holdings (it's not worth it to write one call) that they'd like to keep for a while.* The issue is that if the equity gets called, it will create a taxable event (unless you buy back the call which has an unlimited ceiling).* If you were willing to part with the stock, why not just sell it.

I've been lurking on this board for over a year, but I don't think I've posted yet.* I hope my comments makes sense.
__________________
milz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
whitestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 415
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Certainly there is risk, but proper classifications will greatly minimize the risk. And, not looking for the homerun, just looking for a decent income to live off of. I've paid the 3k for the Kim Snider method, and recovered that money if the first two months. For me it has worked so far. Not ready to put all my resources into it, but as a diversification strategy, I'm willing to keep trying with it for awhile.
As to the many positions concern, I have a maximum of 4 so far (2 in each of may accounts), which makes it easy to keep track of. I'm pretty simple minded, and can't/won't spend more then a couple of hours a month on it.
You can always dip your toe in, rather then go wild. I believe the minimum amount of money to get started is 25,000, which gives you the buffer you need to ride the market up and downs. Tends to limit the players, but even mutual funds have some minimum investments.
Without sounding like a shill/salesman/ or whatever the term is, go to http://www.kimsnider.com/ and see if it interests you. I was skeptical and still am, but so far it's working for me.
__________________
Mens ability to see the future is limited by their horizons of today!
Unknown!
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Certainly there is risk, but proper classifications will greatly minimize the risk. And, not looking for the homerun, just looking for a decent income to live off of.* I've paid the 3k for the Kim Snider method, and recovered that money if the first two months.* For me it has worked so far.* Not ready to put all my resources into it, but as a diversification strategy, I'm willing to keep trying with it for awhile.*
As to the many positions concern, I have a maximum of 4 so far (2 in each of may accounts), which makes it easy to keep track of. I'm pretty simple minded, and can't/won't spend more then a couple of hours a month on it.
You can always dip your toe in, rather then go wild.* I believe the minimum amount of money to get started is 25,000, which gives you the buffer you need to ride the market up and downs.* Tends to limit the players, but even mutual funds have some minimum investments.
Without sounding like a shill/salesman/ or whatever the term is, go to http://www.kimsnider.com/ and see if it interests you.* I was skeptical and still am, but so far it's working for me.
My wife has us signed up for a "seminar" on Friday to learn about something called
"Investools". Don't know anything about it except they advertise on TV with the
usual pitch......"work from home and make big $ in as little as 5 hours a week"
etc etc. I am only going along to insure domestic tranquility. If any of you have heard
of this (or heard their pitch), please post some negative stuff here. Maybe it's
not too late for me to wiggle out of this Thanks.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,763
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
My wife has us signed up for a "seminar" on Friday to learn about something called
"Investools". Don't know anything about it except they advertise on TV with the
usual pitch......
Got a mailing from them.* No useful information whatsoever in the mailing, so I suspect the sales pitch* seminar will be the same way.* Of course, anything to get you away from 100% fixed instruments would be a plus, I would think.
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,763
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milz50
Two things always bothered me about this strategy...

1) Your maximum upside ..... Maximum risk / limited reward.

2) A lot of people use this with large holdings (it's not worth it to write one call) ...

I hope my comments makes sense.
milz50, your comments make perfect sense, and they are true as well.*
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Covered calls made easy....too easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Got a mailing from them.* No useful information whatsoever in the mailing, so I suspect the sales pitch* seminar will be the same way.* Of course, anything to get you away from 100% fixed instruments would be a plus, I would think.
But it will keep me off the water for a day. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOX, bonds, etfs and covered calls Nords Young Dreamers 53 08-26-2006 01:38 AM
Ten stupidest mistakes made by the newly self employed cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 6 04-14-2006 10:06 PM
Covered Calls xprinter FIRE and Money 21 10-21-2005 11:11 AM
Covered call/naked put writing on ETFs? Olav23 FIRE and Money 8 07-15-2005 11:50 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.