Join Early Retirement Today

credit card for foreign travel
Old 06-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

credit card for foreign travel

This topic is a follow up to the credit card rewards topic. I have noticed that all of the cards that I have (the usual suspects -- mc/visa/etc) have recently sent notice that all foreign (non us dollar) transactions will be converted with a 3% premium added for the conversion.
Any thoughts on the best card to travel with/best conversion rate?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: credit card for foreign travel
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #2

The last time I checked, all the MBNA family of credit cards were free of surcharges.* *To get the authoritative word, you might want to ask some of the folks at www.flyertalk.com.* There are a lot of extremely seasoned foreign travelors there.* Their anal retentiveness concerning $$ matters (secondary to frequent flyer miles, of course) would put most of the dryer-sheet folk here to shame!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #3

Oops, just read Nord's message about MBNA's conversion fee change. The only reason I kept my MBNA card account open was for overseas travel--bye bye MBNA. Nevertheless, the flyertalk recommendation still goes.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used to be a credit card was your best bet, you got just about the best conversion rates available.

Might check out american express and see if they offer a good rate and no surcharges.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Used to be a credit card was your best bet, you got just about the best conversion rates available.

Might check out american express and see if they offer a good rate and no surcharges.
Nope - the whole mass mailing of x % conversion fee started with Amex conversion fees for Turkey. Most CC companies did have such a fee, but Amex settled in a case, where the fees were not clearly stated. So now everybody is mailing you the piece of info so you can't sue them.
I've got a notice from the class action suit that I can try to get some of the conversion fee back.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My local credit union has a 1% conversion charge. I am going to be using it in just 9 days
Old 06-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Info...

http://tripso.com/archives/2005/04/7...for_cre_1.html

Apparently capital one cards dont charge the fee.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #8

Thanks all for the good information.

Looks like I'll have a bit of work to do, but considering that the add on charge for foreign transactions is 3%, I think I'll spend the time and see if I can't find a card that doesn't put on this additional charge for doing absolutely nothing!

Uncledrz
Old 06-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ACK! 3%? To have their computers multiply? I'm glad this thread came up. I had no idea they'd charge a fee...especially this much!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:00 AM   #10

Are you a member of a Credit Union? Many CU cards do not charge the foreign currency fee. Best check the fine print though.

Also, many foreign merchants will add back the "discount" (the % the merchant agrees to give the bank for immediate payment of the charge.) It never hurts to ask the merchant to list the "Visa/Mastercard" fee as a seperate line item, then, after returning home, ask your CC bank to "charge back" (charge the merchant) the fee.

Here in Thailand, it is illegal to add discount fees into the price... but 99% of the merchants do it anyway...

TIT (This is Thailand...)

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #11

Update on the credit card and foreign currency matter.

Called a number of banks and most charge the 3% additonal fee. My credit union, however, did not, so I got a card with it.

An article on this issue with some guidance:
http://www.tripso.com/cgi-bin/mt-sea...reign+currency

Uncledrz
Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor

I've got a notice from the class action suit that I can try to get some of the conversion fee back.

Yeah, I sent in my paperwork for that class action -- Amex.

I received my settlement a few weeks back. [Drumroll please....]

Just cashed a check for 62 cents!

Penfed seems to be offering a good Visa card deal with 1.25% cash back. Anybody got one of those cards? I'll check out their overseas charge policy
Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #13

Yea, I recently got a 1.25% cash back card from PenFed. No
problems so far and I have not used it abroad. My guess is
that they won't screw you on foreign usage because of their
large military base of customers.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #14

Thanks, Charlie,
I just went ahead and set it up. The 1.25% also seems good compared to points programs that increasingly feel mean.

Penfed said there is a 1% surcharge on foreign purchases, which is charged to them by Visa and they just pass it along. I talked to Visa, and they said 'some banks choose to pay it for you, others charge premiums on top of it.' Seems it might be hard to beat the 1% unless the bank has a way to get it from you some other way -- but at least its better than paying 3%.

Also, Penfed will auto-deduct the monthly credit card payment out of my Penfed savings account which saves me from having a late fee -- always a problem for me in the past.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #15

May want to ask Dougdo. He posted a little thread on his blog about how he pays overseas. Basically says he hits the ATM's for cash and has the least amount of resistence when it comes to paying for stuff in US dollars I suppose it depends on where you go. American Express will convert currency for you prior to a trip for like $3.