Credit Cards, Debt, and Bankruptcy

You can thank the GOP - GOP President, GOP Congress, and GOP Supreme Court!

Gotcha! C-T hook line and sinker. Thank Bill Clinton. HIPPA was a rider on the dems healtcare plan.

Gotcha! C-T hook line and sinker. Thank Bill Clinton. HIPPA was a rider on the dems healtcare plan.

My point, which you missed, is that the GOP controls the government right now. Any law can be repealled.

We have been hearing for 30 years how wasteful and bueracratic the Democrats are. But, where are the GOP proposals to eliminate this waste and regulation? The GOP makes my life more complicated every day and is spending money like never before. I thought Reagan was bad until I saw 'W' - Senior Bush said it best "Voodoo Economics".

The only thing the GOP is focused on currently, is to elminate Social Security. Is this what they considered government waste and regulation?

Cut-Throat The GOP makes my life more complicated every day and is spending money like never before. I thought Reagan was bad until I saw 'W' - Senior Bush said it best "Voodoo Economics". The only thing the GOP is focused on currently is to elminate Social Security. Is this what they considered government waste and regulation? [/quote said:
HI C-T

You are generalizing man. I was nodding my head in
agreement until then. Sure, the Republicans are a bunch of witless shits, but so are the Dems. I only
support the GOP because they harbor less libs in their ranks. Otherwise, they are all equally filthy swine IMHO.

JG

C-T-- let me make sure I understand your argument. Your upset because the libs voted in a bad law and now the consertives won't fix it?

If that's the case maybe you should change your views on who is better to run the country. The consertives wouldn't have voted it in to begin with. The consertives are attempting to change a program for the better that isn't going to be around in a few years. It'll be defucnt by the time I am old enough to collect in it's current format, and they're being demonized as attempting to get rid of it. The way I see it is if I get $10 in monthly benefit then I'll be happy.

Personally I think the conservatives should let the people who have elected the boneheads to government live with their choices. They have done that in a city near me and now have a rampant crime problem. The police are so afraid of liability they often elect to do nothing about crime. Eventually it will back fire and the officers will start sueing the city for injuries or deaths caused by the screwed up policies.

I think cut-throats point is that true conservatives are very much for smaller government, reduced spending and reduced involvement in "activities" outside of our country. Along with reduced "handout" programs and other social abstractions.

I'm with that. I want the government to put in the roads, secure the public safety, implement and execute a good basic set of laws and secure our borders. I dont really see a need to socialize or see the government "manage" any other aspect of our lives.

So its a little odd to see a "conservative" trying to fix a social program thats only broken because he and his priors (both dems and repubs) took money from it and overspent. GW's "government" has grown in size and spending, created a massive deficit, and gotten us involved in significant overseas "activities". Very un-conservative of him. Social security isnt a "bad law voted in by the libs", it was a decent step in civilization to allow our elderly to stop working in their twilight years and live with some semblance of dignity. It became "bad" because both parties screwed it up. Now one of them is going to try to become a "hero" by fixing what they broke themselves. Good job and nice spin if you can get away with it.

Its even more odd to see a "conservative" choosing SS as one of the most important things to "fix". Dont even get me started on the government trying to "fix" marriage or take us to Mars. Jesus H $%%#^$ing christ...

And I'm with John...I think both parties suck and I'm a little tired of faux liberals and faux conservatives being stuffed down my throat at election time. It all comes down to two billion dollar parties that frankly arent that different from each other being made up for a good tv appearance. Pick one. They arent that different really.

Doh....I didn't make myself clear again. The bad law I was referring to was HIPPA.

C-T-- let me make sure I understand your argument. Your upset because the libs voted in a bad law and now the consertives won't fix it?

Here is my Argument.

I wasn't the one complaining about the law. I don't even know what it's about. I don't care!

My point is that any law you happen to be complaining about is endorsed by the party that is currently in control. I have been listening to you guys complaining about Government regulation for 30 years and trying to blame it on the Democrats. I was just reminding you who is in control of the country now. Also, I keep wondering when all this 'Smaller Government' talk will be enacted. :confused:

So my question is when is the GOP going to start proposing the smaller government and less regulation that I have been hearing about for 30 years?

Double DOH...I got Hippa and hipaa confused. I wasnt sure why so many people were down on a health care portability act.

I notice all the doctors and dentists I've dealt with recently make me sign a waiver that they can and will give my health information up to law enforcement people. Not so happy about that.

Despite what we all say or think here, politics marches on.
News on the bankruptcy reform bill as of yesterday:

The House Judiciary Committee in a bipartisan vote
today approved the Senate-passed bankruptcy reform legislation, S. 256,
without amendment. The Committee defeated all 18 amendments considered;
S. 256 then was approved by a 22-to-13 margin by the Committee. S. 256
now moves to the House floor, where it will be considered in early
April. If, as expected, no amendments are made, S. 256 will then be sent
to President Bush for his signature. "

Despite what we all say or think here, politics marches on.
News on the bankruptcy reform bill as of yesterday:

The House Judiciary Committee in a bipartisan vote
today approved the Senate-passed bankruptcy reform legislation, S. 256,
without amendment. The Committee defeated all 18 amendments considered;
S. 256 then was approved by a 22-to-13 margin by the Committee. S. 256
now moves to the House floor, where it will be considered in early
April. If, as expected, no amendments are made, S. 256 will then be sent
to President Bush for his signature. "

Well I'll be, GWB won again. That stupid, swaggering, ignorant cowboy just keeps winning? How can that be? And it was a bipartisan vote, at that? Hmmm. Them libs must not be sticking to their principles. ;)

That stupid, swaggering, ignorant cowboy

I think you just hit the nail on the head. He's a wealthy, Connecticut born and raised Yalie whose family hails from Maine.

Given the basic spin thats been put on who he is, how about the rest of the spin? How do you value votes people make who dont even know who or what they're voting for?

I think you just hit the nail on the head. He's a wealthy, Connecticut born and raised Yalie whose family hails from Maine.

Given the basic spin thats been put on who he is, how about the rest of the spin? How do you value votes people make who dont even know who or what they're voting for?

An interesting aside. Bush lost his first race in Texas because he was painted as a Yalie Yankee. To win in the south, he had to change his image. His accent and speech, likely including "nucular," is an affectation.

Wow! I just got around to reading this entire thread.
Some outstanding stuff. When "th" gets away from pancakes and such he shows some real insight, and
seldom waffles :)

One thing I need to clarify though. "W" is not and never has been a "conservative". I cringe when people
call him that. He may look conservative when compared
to Hillary, Schumer, Kennedy, Kerry, et al. But, he is not the real deal. The real deal doesn't exist any more.
Republicrats! That's what you have now. Deal with it.

JG

While this thread is already back at the top I thought I'd update that I decided to pay off that 0% deal I was late on. From reading the 0% offer it sounded like they might retroactively reinstate the 22% or so interest. They didn't put it on my last statement when I was already late; I thought about calling them but decided I don't trust these people anyway so I just paid up.

BMJ is back to $0 accounts payable and will avoid such deals until he grows up. And I'll have to remember to check in 15 months to see if they decide to retroactively apply the past two months' interest then. Wouldn't surprise me.

While this thread is already back at the top I thought I'd update that I decided to pay off that 0% deal I was late on. From reading the 0% offer it sounded like they might retroactively reinstate the 22% or so interest. They didn't put it on my last statement when I was already late; I thought about calling them but decided I don't trust these people anyway so I just paid up.

BMJ is back to $0 accounts payable and will avoid such deals until he grows up. And I'll have to remember to check in 15 months to see if they decide to retroactively apply the past two months' interest then. Wouldn't surprise me.

How about paying off the entire balance and asking them to cancel the card? It probably will make it hard to bill you 15 months from now for interest.

GD-ER, I suppose I could call them, but for $35 I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I hate dealing with those people. Besides, it's not my first time late with them...been a while since the last, though.

Martha, actually that's probably what I should do. If I've already decided on no more 0% deals, and this is a store card anyway, then there's not much reason to keep it. Guess I'd have to call them to cancel it.

<sigh> I guess I need to call some credit bozos. I'll make a day of it and finally cancel my hated Discover Card I've kept locked up and unused for over 3 years. They still send me checks which I promptly shred. I really hate talking to these people.

Hi BMJ. No advice, but good luck with it.

Unlike most "normal" people, I love to negotiate stuff,
probably because I usually come out on top. This is not
necessarily due to my superior brain I got when I visited
the Emerald City, but rather my natural tendency to be
confrontational. Like I said before, when I was young
I enjoyed a good fight (not so much now). But with a
CC company I would show no mercy. I have nothing
against them, it's just that they are holding an unsecured loan and you are holding the money. I think it's
pretty clear who has the upper hand.

JG

Back
Top Bottom