Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Property taxes usually have a hefty fee tacked on if you pay by credit card.
Depends on where you are. In Denver, there is no surcharge to paying with a credit card, so that's what I do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Property taxes usually have a hefty fee tacked on if you pay by credit card.

But AMEX will still give you your rebate - np just probably not worth it.
yup....its 2.5% for us. Didn't realize it was different from the 1.49 ACH fee to debit a checking/savings account.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the Sapphire Preferred and the Fidelity Amex ... will learn how to balance between the two.

Thank you everyone for great advice!!

Lots of additional options were offered which I may try as I learn a bit more ...
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a couple more cards since my last post to this thread. I'm using the no-fee BankAmericard Travel Rewards card for its no foreign transaction fee when I go to Canada. Because I'm a BoA customer, I get a 10% boost on all cash back on their cards. I also got the Better Balances card because I can get $120 a year back with hardly any spending on the account.

These 8 cards will do me for a while. I'm not looking to churn for sign up bonuses, although I am getting $550 back in bonuses.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #45

This thread has a link to a Consumer Reports article that makes card suggestions based on spending patterns: More free credit card money. $500

Here's the link: http://www.consumerreports.org/rewar...-your-benefits
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #46
gone traveling

I/we have 1 credit card, it's from USAA I have zero idea if we get any cash back or promo,s but we suffered thru an I'd theft credit card thing, cost me 950. Down to 1 card , I trust this company, I was a soldier once and they are a military type organization , they are always pleasant to deal with. If I had them when the credit card thing happened I'm sure I would not have been stuck for the 950. Don't believe all the hype zero liability if stolen stuff. I can give you my rant on how I ate the 950 bill. Blow by blow, if I live till 150 I'll never get 950 worth of promos . Needless to say I take a dim view of credit cards, no one ever got rich off the promos.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not rich, but we did bank $1583.56 in our Chase checking account this Saturday, mostly from three promos on our Chase Ink Cash and Sapphire cards. Fraud or ID theft on an account is a serious PITA though - no doubt about it. We kinda camp out on Quicken and our various bank and card accounts through the month though and always reconcile everything - think a fraudulent charge would get picked up within a matter of days.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a fraudulent charge on an Amex card back in June when I was in NYC for business. Someone charged $900 at Rite Aid (must have been for gift cards). It seems the clerk at the hotel skimmed my card. I caught it when I checked my account online after my trip. I had no problems getting the money back and a new card quickly.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I/we have 1 credit card, it's from USAA I have zero idea if we get any cash back or promo,s but we suffered thru an I'd theft credit card thing, cost me 950. Down to 1 card , I trust this company, I was a soldier once and they are a military type organization , they are always pleasant to deal with. If I had them when the credit card thing happened I'm sure I would not have been stuck for the 950. Don't believe all the hype zero liability if stolen stuff. I can give you my rant on how I ate the 950 bill. Blow by blow, if I live till 150 I'll never get 950 worth of promos . Needless to say I take a dim view of credit cards, no one ever got rich off the promos.
Yes, zero liability is a myth.... but there is a $50 limit if you notify them in a timely manner... and most banks waive that $50...

So I will ask (instead of getting the blow by blow), how long was it before you notified the CC company of the bad charge
Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I earned it,

I think USAA is very much like any other banking company ...it has morphed significantly from the very specific days it grew up in ...as you can see from some of the other responses, most companies will respond the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #51

I think if you report the fraud within 60 days the liability is $50, but most banks waive it. I also have USAA and have never had to pay a dime for fraudulent use. I do check my activity daily to ensure there is no strange activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

On using credit cards to pay taxes - the IRS has a couple of outfits that charge a fee of 1.87%.

Some folks consider that rate to be a good one for buying airline miles compared to the typical offers which may be more like 2.1c per mile. So it's a consideration for buying award miles. And if you have a card that gives you a multiplier like 1.5x or more even better deal.

Some airlines will give you loyalty program status just from credit card spend - AA? Others do not count it (except for certain program requirements) - DL, UA.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #53

Re: fraudulent use of credit card. In my 40+ years of having credit cards, there were literally 3 or 4 times it happened to me. I caught all but one within a day,and the remaining one was caught by my credit card company.
Especially for those of us who are ER'd, I think it's time well spent to devote 1 minute each day to check credit card activity. Even in my w*rking days, I'd do it each morning before I started my w*rk day. And, yes, it literally does take one minute, and worth the peace of mind.
I never had to pay that $50 maximum liability.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I update my credit card charges on Quicken every other day or so and monitor the charges as I accept them.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Re: fraudulent use of credit card. In my 40+ years of having credit cards, there were literally 3 or 4 times it happened to me. I caught all but one within a day,and the remaining one was caught by my credit card company.
Especially for those of us who are ER'd, I think it's time well spent to devote 1 minute each day to check credit card activity. Even in my w*rking days, I'd do it each morning before I started my w*rk day. And, yes, it literally does take one minute, and worth the peace of mind.
Yes, spending that one minute per day is a good idea, not only can you catch fraud in its infancy, but if you are in a particularly "spendy" period, if provides an excellent slap in the face/ wake up call.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I/we have 1 credit card, it's from USAA I have zero idea if we get any cash back or promo,s .
USAA recently shook up their credit card offerings somewhat, and now provide some decent rewards.
Our basic card gives us 1.5% back on all purchases, and a few months ago they did a 5% rebate on all gas purchases.
It pays to know what you are/should be getting in the way of rewards.
To not take advantage of these goodies is like failing to collect the company match on a 401k.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Chase Sapphire is my steady eddy. I also have had Marriott, IHG, Starwood, JetBlue, Southwest, etc, but the Sapphire is good if you want to have some flexibility on where you are going to use your points.
But I keep a dozen are so in play at a time, so I can pick up the bonus points. However if I only had one card, it would be Sapphire.
In retirement, I am a fan of my chase Shappire card. Like the original poster, I was a moderate traveler in my work career, and I was a Marriott Chairman's Preferred. I used a Marriott Black card during that time. Post work it made no sense. Plenty of good no fee cards out there. Pick one that suits your lifestyle. We like to travel, so Shappire fits perfect for us.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Depends on where you are. In Denver, there is no surcharge to paying with a credit card, so that's what I do.
I used my Denver property taxes for last year and this year to get the bonus points on airline cards. (I have gotten 7 free flights on Southwest in the last year and have booked 3 more round trips for the family this fall so that is kind of my go to card. I still have enough points for another 1/2 dozen flights at least.)

I picked up a Hawaiian Air card for our fall family trip and will decide if I want to keep it later. I used all the bonus points to get DH a free flight and used the 1/2 price ticket for DS so it all worked out good. They don't fly out of Denver so I am connecting in Seattle this trip. I just got a no annual fee Hilton card for the overnight hotels in Seattle. (I paid the dentist for that bonus point offer - my expensive new crowns are at least worth something! Hated to spend the $$ but better than the alternative of having to eat jello the rest of my days....)

I refuse to get a Frontier card though because I just buy the cheapo $29 to $49 flights on them anyway - it seemed like a waste of effort to get a card for them..... I have spent way to much very uncomfortable seat time racking up points on Frontier anyway. Almost every time I wish I wasn't such a cheapskate and had bought a Southwest ticket instead ....

I couldn't find a way to pay my Summit County property taxes though with a card, so they are just getting a check.

I have had a Discover card too for years - but only use it for the 5% special cashback categories.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #59

I am very close to your situation. I travel a lot for business and have a Marriott card. I also have a Chase Visa, and I am <1 year to RE. I do not believe that I will be staying much at Marriott after I RE and I have just closed that card to open one with IHG (Holiday Inn). I love a feature of their program where you can get a room almost anywhere for 5000 points and $70. To me that gives the most value for your points and the points last much longer. A free room of $100-200 per night is 15-25,000 points. I like the Chase Visa for many things and seem to average nearly 2% rebate including promotions. The Fidelity card is also attractive.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
If the card issuer has decent notifications, you don't even have to go check daily. Chase, Amex, and BofA do a good job about notifying on "card not present" transactions and the like. I get an email within seconds when such a transaction goes through. I'm hoping when Fidelity switches to Elan that we'll get better notifications. FIA card services has been lacking in this area.