Credit card currency exchange rates

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
In the last few weeks I have made two online purchases in the UK on two different credit cards. Nothing substantial, both were in the neighborhood of £100 or so.

The one on my Chase Sapphire card was at roughly 0.1% over the midmarket exchange rate for that day (according to XE.com).

The one on my Apple Card was at about 0.9% over that rate.

This is really trivial; we're only talking about a few bucks, but I was surprised to see so much difference.

I think I will pay more attention to this issue going forward when I travel.

0.9% is a big difference. Do the T&Cs make clear what rate is used?

0.9% is a big difference. Do the T&Cs make clear what rate is used?

Haven't looked yet, but I will.

Edit: I looked it up, and it appears to be simply the difference between how Visa (the Chase card) and MasterCard (the Apple Card) calculate conversions.

Last edited:
All VISA cards use the same exchange rate on a given day. This rate I believe is determined by the range (top end of the range?) on the previous day. I guess that’s where VISA makes a bit off the spread. You can looking up for any given date here: https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html
OK based on the small print under results looks like they’ve changed this a bit.

Be sure to enter the date of the transaction plus the bank fee - 0% for no FTF cards.

Mastercard has a slightly different system and I don’t remember the details. The Apple Card is a Mastercard. Here is the Mastercard calculator: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

On my recent trip I was seeing around 1.06 EUR/USD on my purchases which seemed reasonable. About half my CC statements listed the amount in euros as well as USD.

Also smaller transaction amounts can have larger rounding errors.

Last edited:
We used to live in Mexico and I recall that our Visa used the rate of the day before. I know our ATM cards did the same...

Yep. The visa cards, which is what we almost solely use, seem to be identical. (BoA and Chase Sapphire Reserve).

We (in Canada) have two cards that are no fee FX cards.

I check both from time to time against the Visa rate and the MC rate. In the recent past (this past March) both we typically correct to the third decimal place.

I compared the rates between cards when I got back from a trip a year or two ago. I think it was a Chase Sapphire vs Elan (Fidelity). I noticed systemic disadvantage on the Fidelity card, but it was under 1%, if I'm remembering accurately. And at the time the Fidelity card also had a 1% FTF (policy changed recently to 0%). I decided, even before the exercise was it's not worth worrying about, but questions like this still attract my attention and results seem interesting.

Last edited:
In the last few weeks I have made two online purchases in the UK on two different credit cards. Nothing substantial, both were in the neighborhood of £100 or so.

The one on my Chase Sapphire card was at roughly 0.1% over the midmarket exchange rate for that day (according to XE.com).

The one on my Apple Card was at about 0.9% over that rate.

This is really trivial; we're only talking about a few bucks, but I was surprised to see so much difference.

I think I will pay more attention to this issue going forward when I travel.

Does not compute for me, time better spent looking for cheap flights.

^ I have a spreadsheet "WhichCardToUse.xls" where I "waste" enormous amounts of time. And somehow still apply adequate time shopping for travel. I figure if I'm tinkering with the fraction of cent discounts, kickbacks and fees, you don't want to leave anything out of the analysis.

Back
Top Bottom