Delay your retirement up to 12 years for just a 1% raise now?

Maybe the 4 out of 5 that voted for the 1% immediate pay raise never plan on military retirement? Hence they will be better off with taking immediate money and running? Not sure how military retirement works - as in, can someone enlisted for 10 years draw a partial retirement pension without additional AD or Reserves duty?

In a parallel world, I work for a non-military government entity. A certain percentage is force-withheld from my salary and gains no interest unless I stay employed 5+ years. After 5 years I could also choose to receive a crappy pension after waiting 3 decades, or take a lump sum of what I put in.

Since I hope to be retired (early retired) at around 5 years of service, the pension is worthless to me, and in fact is a detriment since I can't invest the money that is withheld in some form that will grow (like a 401k or IRA). It is just cash sitting there in my account for 5 years not growing. I would vote to eliminate the pension at my employer. With or without a 1% raise. The only benefit I get is tax deferral of the percentage withheld, but I am pretty sure the lack of investment gains over 5 years offsets the tax advantage.

Not sure who they polled, but I think most people are smarter than this:
Smells like another political football being taken out of the bag to be thrown around for a couple of months....
Yeah, that survey stunk and the "media interpretation" articles weren't much better.

Sometimes I wonder if the people being surveyed are really made aware of the implications of their answers. "We're going to write this up as a 'Servicemembers too stupid to understand their benefits' article. Would you like to answer a few questions for us?"

The article proves that whoever they asked was not informed of what the actual questions were. It also proves how financially strapped they feel they are right now.

Back
Top Bottom