Depression pricing in the markets?

Still get the local rag. I get three things from it: local sports, police blotter (gotta keep up with whether the crime wave is getting closer to my digs with the employment levels dropping), and whatever the latest nonsense the local politicians are cooking up for sticking it to me. I enjoy sitting down in the morning with the paper and a cup of coffee. I never had time when I was working for a living. With rental property I often used the want ads to advertise vacancies. I watched it go up and up until it hit close to $100 a week. That's when I found craigslist. It turns out NONE of the students that represent the majority of my tenants ever read the paper, but they sure know about craigslist. No wonder the papers are suffering. I sold four football tickets Friday. I put them up on craigslist, and it took me less than ten minutes to get the first call and sale. In the paper it wouldn't have shown up until the following week, too late.

But I still think we'll lose something in professionalism and depth of research without the professional newspaper reporting. We'll have something like informational anarchy. Who knows what to believe on the web? But the real problem is that way too many people WILL believe what they read on line, particularly if it fits with their distorted views. That could be dangerous.

3 years of reading blogs and they have been right more times than the so called pro's. the one pro i liked was greenberg who used to write for marketwatch. most of the others are completely useless

Itulip and a few other blogs were calling it a housing bubble as far back as 2004 and the first negative stories that things started to head south i read on thehousingbubbleblog back in the fall of 2005. all the bloggers were predicting huge housing price declines back in 2005 when the pro's were saying it would take a miracle to get a national decline of 1%. they even called it that the ARM loans would pop and cause the whole thing to crash while the pro's predicted that people would pay 10% interest on their mortgage and keep on spending

one nice thing about the blogs is that when say the NAR releases their numbers they'll hype some number to make it look good and you have to read the press release to get the whole picture because most news sources like Yahoo and Google simple reprint the PR or some AP story that paraphrases the PR. my blog RSS feeds have the details in the summary so most times i don't even have to click to read the entire story

I owe thehousingbubbleblog a tremendous debt for having opened my mind to an awareness of the true state of the economy when the MainStream Media and most other sources were lying with gay abandon.
Unfortunately, this blog was mostly in bed with the rest of the deceivers. Quite frequently, anyone honest enough to write the truth here was pilloried as a "Tin Foil Hat" by the majority of ERFers who responded.
It looks like those "positive thinkers" have suffered a bit of a set back since then though..

I would still, even so, hate to lose newspapers. They are a physically pleasing way to get information into one's awareness. If only they would print the truth, they'd be so much better. If only the would hop out of the pockets of politicians, advertizers, the judiciary, law enforcement..... if, if, if.

I would still, even so, hate to lose newspapers. They are a physically pleasing way to get information into one's awareness. If only they would print the truth, they'd be so much better. If only the would hop out of the pockets of politicians, advertizers, the judiciary, law enforcement..... if, if, if.

Maybe a sub to Izvestia or Pravda would fit the bill for you?

Ha

My personal opinion is that the NY Times is to journalism what pedophilia is to parenting. Having them go broke would be one of the few bright things that we may be able to look forward to in the next few years.

The loss of the print media would be huge. I don't have much in common with the NYT's editorial position, but I like the fact that they've got paid reporters who investigate and dig up dirt. Same as the other papers. Even at the local level--if there's malfeasance or scandal in our local government, the newspaper is far more likely to dig it up than either radio or TV. The TV is especially bad--they want to get a live camera on a car crash, they don't have time to devote 10 minutes to the city council meeting goings-on.
Bloggers--rehashed and synthesized reporting from someone else. Who will actually produce the new information that feeds this machine if old-fashioned reporters (yes, armed with the tools of the Internet) are gone?

I get good value from my subscription to the local paper, but I'd subscribe even if it weren't very good I like supporting a staff of paid snoops in my town looking under rocks. The print media still does that best.

NY Times has very few paid reporters, most of their stories like all newspapers are AP reprints. AP is a not for profit co-op owned by newspapers and other media

Back
Top Bottom