Do you rely on a non-zero 'real' return to make it thru retirement?

I've always assumed a 0% net real return during retirement after inflation, fund costs, volatility, adding bonds, badly timed withdrawals, and taxes. What I start with is what I have in real terms. Simplifies the math.

We can "make it through" retirement without any savings, just by deferring SS to age 70 and using a pension for the earlier years.

However, my initial spending plan involved spending both the earnings and some of the principal from savings. That provides "extra, nice to have" stuff.

My monthly post 66 income looks like this

UK state pension = $2000
US SS = $2000
MA pension = $2500
UTC pension = $550
Rent = $2500

That will be in 14 years times I have to bridge the gap from 52 to 66 with savings. Spending from savings will decrease as the various fixed income sources begin; rental income is online now, MA pension starts at 55 and UTC pension at 59.5. At 66 I will be back in the accumulation phase.

My primary retirement calculation tool is ESPlanner. It has three Monte Carlo modes with one assuming "Conservative" spending. It this case, it assumes my portfolio real return is 0%. The results put me right at my current spending level, so I guess that's good.

We are not "relying" on a positive real return. However, if I retired today and invested only to keep up with inflation our income would be $62,000. If I invested to get 2% over inflation then income would be $72,000.

We will live just fine either way but the difference might be me standing on the shore watching the boats versus being on the boat watching the shore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom