Join Early Retirement Today

Does Cheney know something we don't?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Cheney know something we don't?

The answer, one might assume, is "yes".

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/hfund0605_06_article5.html

The preznit's little HSA is kind of a hoot..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Does Cheney know something we don't?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a silly little bit of old news! I suppose if a Kiplinger reporter looked at our assets, they would find whatever they wanted to and highlight that as well. We have money markets, we have (short-term & tax-exempt) bonds, we have US equities, we have foreign equities. It appears to be a typical asset allocation for someone near retirement and in a high tax bracket.

And why the apparent masthead "Hedge Funds in a Rocky Market"? The market is not rocky. Oh wait a minute, ... it's about the Rocky Mountains, right?

Yawn.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

He has 94 million. Of course he can sit in safe things that are paying such a high interest at the moment.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I guess my point is that he has typical asset allocation of about 40% in fixed income, most of which is cash reserves and short-term bonds. This is a standard recommendation for someone his age.

I sure hope he is not paying for financial advice because his reported assets look pretty cookie cutter to me.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #5

soooorry.

I guess what seemed particular was the short-term bond emphasis.

A related question, though... does anyone think politicians' blind trusts are really not subject to "leaks"?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Standard and Poors' The Outlook has been recommending cah and short-term bonds for the fixed portion of one's portfolio for a few years now.

Paul Merriman of www.fundadvice.com has always said use short-term bonds and avoid long term and even avoid intermediate.

The PIMCO Total Return fund is now at 60% cash.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

How about this: Do you think North Korean generals bought gold a few weeks before they launched missiles and sold gold the day after they launched missiles?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
He has 94 million. Of course he can sit in safe things that are paying such a high interest at the moment.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

You cant look at rich peoples investments and try to divine anything from that which applies to the average ER or wannabe ER investor. Heck, last time i looked aside from microsoft stock a whole lot of Gates' stuff was in crappy boring bonds during the late 90's bull market.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Interesting to see where the rich have their people put their money. Thanks for the post LD.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #10

Still trying to figure out the HSA thing.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There seems to be some over-interpretation of Cheney's assets by the reporters.* Since the financial asset form reports ranges, you get $94MM only by using the high end of the ranges reported.* One of the ranges for two of his mutual fund holdings is "between $5 million and $25 million", so we can possibly knock off $40 million or almost half if we use the low end number.* The two fund holdings were reported to be among his biggest assets.* So select 10 other assets worth $1 million each and Cheney could be worth only $20 million.* Easy come; easy go.

But the Cheney's donated $6.87 million to charity in 2005, so maybe they are were worth more than $20 million.*
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0060414-2.html

Anyways, my net worth is reported to be in the range of $13,140.88 and $100,000,000. So I must be worth more than Dick Cheney!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Cheney could be worth only $20 million.
The poor bastard!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote