Join Early Retirement Today

Don't use your debit card for car rental
Old 11-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't use your debit card for car rental

I have never tried to use a debit card to rent a car, in fact I never considered it. Probably a good idea to not use it.

Quote:
Most of the major rental companies require a credit card to initiate the rental, even if a debit card will be used to make payment upon return of the car. And most companies will accept only a co-branded Discover, Visa or MasterCard debit card.

Those companies that do allow a rental with a debit card often put an authorization hold on the debit card during the rental, usually between $300 and $500. Yes, the unused funds will be returned to your account after you return the car, but it might take up to two weeks for the funds to be released back to your account.
http://www.bankrate.com/nltrack/news..._rental_a1.asp

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Don't use your debit card for car rental
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen anything that makes a debit card preferable to a credit card. But I've seen plenty of drawbacks!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I haven't seen anything that makes a debit card preferable to a credit card. But I've seen plenty of drawbacks!
I agree. I have searched and searched and can't come up with a reason to bother getting a debit card.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I agree. I have searched and searched and can't come up with a reason to bother getting a debit card.
Well until now I have not either. But yesterday my bank offered me 5,000 AA miles for signing up for a debit card and it only cost me $25. Thats a bargain

Of course I will never use the card, but hey
Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #5

I will probably be changing banks next year if I semi-FIRE at that time. I currently use a debit card for most of my credit type transactions and this does not sound optimal. My only other credit card is tied to my employer and I don't know if I will be able to keep it.

So I guess I just need to be sure that the new bank (I will probably go with an internet bank and/or HSBC) has an "ATM-only card option" instead of a "debit card option?"

If I am semi-FIRED, do you think I will have trouble getting a credit card? I would like to have two. I would also like to have multiple ATM cards -- I currently have a paypal ATM card and this debit card I mentioned earlier.

Kramer
Old 11-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it only cost me $25
You had to purchase the debit card?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 11-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #7

I haven't owned a credit card in several years. I ONLY carry a debit card, & use it frequently. I've rented numerous vehicles with it over the years with nary a problem. I have had enough non-card related issues with various rental car agencies that I only do business now with Hertz. The rest of those jokers can kiss my ***! The one & only actual credit card that is in my wallet is my U.S. Government, official business only, MasterCard. As implied, it's only for business & I'd get my hiney in a crack if I used it otherwise. I'd say I use the debit card on practically a daily basis as I usually don't have much or any ca$h on me. I also use the debit card for internet purchases. No problemos.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

No opinion on the debit/credit card issue, but I worked on a large project with the Hertz corporation several years ago and will never rent a car from them. A terrible company to work with and they treat their employees very badly. Too expensive as well.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
If I am semi-FIRED, do you think I will have trouble getting a credit card?
kramer, I got a credit card after retiring. At the time, I hadn't used credit in so long that I had completely fallen off the credit system's radar. It had been 10+ years since I had any type of loan. So I emailed my credit union, explained the situation, and they gave me a card. Shortly thereafter I was inundated with offers.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
You had to purchase the debit card?
Yes, because it was an American Airlines branded debit card from Citibank.

Don't forget that I got 5,000 AA miles for getting the card. That equals half a cent per mile.

Every year my wife and I fly to Hawaii on free tickets which would cost us $900 each if we paid cash. That means each mile is valued at 2.5 cents.

That is a bargain for me.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
I haven't owned acredit card is several years. I ONLY carry a debit card
But have you found any advantage to the debit card over a credit card?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #12

In general, I'm just trying to keep myself out of situations where I could incurr anymore debt. I'm trying hard to avoid any & all credit situations. Not saying I'm debt free at the moment, but credit card debt just seems to have a way of creeping up on you(me). I have a mortgage and a current HELOC, but I intend to settle them both out in the next 6 months, less I hope! Credit cards are way too easy to use. Maybe it's a self-control issue for me.....yeah, I'm sure that's what it is! : Anytime I think about using the debit card, I have to consider what's in my checking account and what effect it would have on other obligations (like bills, groceries) etc. My wife & I use the debit card for everyday expenditures. Last night, we ate out & paid with the card. Today, when she buys groceries, she'll use the card. We just use is as another tool, an extension of our checkbook. Works for us. Just gotta be sure to save receipts & log 'em in the checkbook for balancing.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
In general, I'm just trying to keep myself out of situations where I could incurr anymore debt. I'm trying hard to avoid any & all credit situations.
OK, makes sense. I'm just trying to be sure I'm not missing out on anything by using a credit card and not even having a debit card. Debit cards have become so popular and are advertised so much, I keep wondering if I'm overlooking some advantage.

DW and I haven't had a credit card balance in over 30 years despite using a credit card almost daily. We're probably too conservative, but that's how we're comfortable.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW and I haven't had a credit card balance in over 30 years despite using a credit card almost daily. We're probably too conservative, but that's how we're comfortable.
I don't think that it is too conservative. I just think what you have done is just plain smart. This is the way I have done it for a long time also and I really have never considered doing it any other way.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

becareful- not all debit cards have fraud protection like a credit card does