Join Early Retirement Today

Eight centuries of global real interest rate decline
Old 01-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Eight centuries of global real interest rate decline

This is a very dense read. My take is that 800 years of records show declining real interest rates. Which means the current low rate environment is not an aberration, but rather a return to historical trends.

I guess that means don't expect rates to rise anytime soon. Though one can always hope for "short term" rate spikes here and there.

The abstract:

With recourse to archival, printed primary, and secondary sources, this paper reconstructs global real interest rates on an annual basis going back to the 14th century, covering 78% of advanced economy GDP over time. I show that across successive monetary and fiscal regimes, and a variety of asset classes, real interest rates have not been ‘stable’, and that since the major monetary upheavals of the late middle ages, a trend decline between 0.6–1.6 basis points per annum has prevailed. A gradual increase in real negative-yielding rates in advanced economies over the same horizon is identified, despite important temporary reversals such as the 17th Century Crisis. Against their long-term context, currently depressed sovereign real rates are in fact converging ‘back to historical trend’ — a trend that makes narratives about a ‘secular stagnation’ environment entirely misleading, and suggests that — irrespective of particular monetary and fiscal responses — real rates could soon enter permanently negative territory. I also posit that the return data here reflects a substantial share of ‘non-human wealth’ over time: the resulting R-G series derived from this data show a downward trend over the same timeframe: suggestions about the ‘virtual stability’ of capital returns, and the policy implications advanced by Piketty (2014) are in consequence equally unsubstantiated by the historical record.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...-1311-2018.pdf
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the unique read. I’m an economic history major so this kind of topic is like catnip. I wonder what the lessons are? Borrow away!?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Thanks for the unique read. I’m an economic history major so this kind of topic is like catnip. I wonder what the lessons are? Borrow away!?
Yup: world debt at record high. See the current thread here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-101672-2.html

The other reaction with such low yields is to put more into stocks/real estate vs bonds, pushing asset prices up.
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

By having controlled asset inflation, we'll be able to pay off the debts at low interest rates. If rates go through the roof, we'll have a world wide Weimar Republic, and we'll be doomed!
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
gone traveling

what is "R-G?"
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And lots of places have negative interest rates. Which is another reason I'm heavy into equities.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
what is "R-G?"

I dunno and I’m not sure I understand this excerpt from the abstract:

“Equally, the historical relation between real wealth returns (R) and broader real growth (G) has assumed a central role in the current debates on long-term inequality trends, culminating in the widely- discussed contribution of Piketty (ibid.).”
Old 01-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

So, all that money dropping from the black helicopters is essentially free to the bank, but my CC would charge me 15-25% if I were dumb enough to carry a balance, and my savings account is paying some fraction of a percent.

Can you say “racket”?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

One question I have is: why now? Why did this report about how rates have been falling for centuries come out NOW, against a backdrop of lowest ever rates rather than, say, in 1975 when rates were skyrocketing and it would have been a provocative and gutsy call? It’s the same sense I get when I gauge all the bullish buy-the-dips talk in the past year. Where were these heroic calls in 2008? Long story short....I don’t plan to live for 700 hundred years so 30 year time frames are much more relevant.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #10
gone traveling

"now" because gathering & analyzing the data requires computers that did not exist in 1975.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting & thought provoking.

The comment "I don’t plan to live for 700 hundred years so 30 year time frames are much more relevant" is very true for adults planning for or in retirement.

However if just starting in life perhaps the lesson learned would be debt can be a tool for building a successful life. Point being taking a mortgage for a home, education loans, car loans all can make personal growth possible.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Very interesting & thought provoking.

The comment "I don’t plan to live for 700 hundred years so 30 year time frames are much more relevant" is very true for adults planning for or in retirement.

However if just starting in life perhaps the lesson learned would be debt can be a tool for building a successful life. Point being taking a mortgage for a home, education loans, car loans all can make personal growth possible.
True. Also food for thought for the "payoff mortgage vs low interest loan" in retirement debates.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote