I don't use a financial advisor and I don't think I ever will, but if I wanted one then I'd hire Jeff Rose. He's an independent CFP and one of the top personal-finance bloggers. Nice guy, too.
Here's the headers of the list:
8 Warning Signs You Need to Fire Your Financial Advisor
1. They Still Donít Know Your Needs
2. They Donít Tell You How Theyíre Paid
3. Donít Be Rushed Into Anything
4. They Want to Put Everything in One Investment
5. They Donít Inform You of Changes
6. Legitimate Monthly Statements
7. Advisor Wants a Check Directly Made out to Him/Her
8. They Donít Return Your Phone Call or Emails
... but it's worth reading the whole post for the horror stories... including the counterfeit version of #6.