Electricity

• Upstate SC
  • 1800 sq ft
  • Gas for Stove, Hot Water, Clothes Dryer, Furnace and Fireplace
  • Past 12 months $849.16
I have 5 ceiling fans. T'stat set at 79 in summer, 72 in winter.

$723 total for the past 12 months. Vermont. 3600 SF home plus 900 SF in law unit we rent out. No central air but two electric vehicles we charge at home. We do have 15kw of solar on the roof though which is good because we pay $.18/kWh here.

Now if we could just get out massive winter propane bill under control!

1700 sq. ft. all-electric Florida ranch, one person: $50 / month without A/C (4 months of the year); $70 / month with A/C (8 months of the year).

Those are great stats for AC in Florida.

Last edited:
Those are great stats for AC in Florida.

I suspect that I'm more aggressive than most folks in minimizing electric consumption. For example, when I'm home and using personal electronics, the thermostat is set to 80F. If I'm sleeping, the thermo is set to 77F. Otherwise, it's set to 86F (essentially, the A/C is off).

This is 2 year electricity graph that shows effect of (2) new HVAC systems, beginning May 2016. Reduction in KwH is pretty dramatic. I don't have exact numbers handy, but it appears to be 40-50% less useage.

This is for 3,000 SqFt in NJ. We have natural gas heat, so the savings in winter will not be as dramatic.

Sep column is actually August temps, and the bill was $140.
Important to add, that we went with gas dryer conversion after moving in 25 years ago. That has saved a bunch. However, we stuck with an electric oven and cooktop when upgrading the kitchen. Also run a dehumidifier in the basement May thru October or so.

Coincidentally, received two rebate checks from the state today for the HVAC systems, each for $300.

Without much extra analyses:

Lowest usage - 194 kwh, March 2016
Highest usage - 1641 kwh, August 2011 (one of the hottest summers on record in DFW)

Checked my spreadsheet: (1650sf, one occupant, gas heat/water heater, elec dryer)

ELECTRIC

2010 - 7287kwh, $1064
2011 - 7925kwh, $1162
2012 - 7092kwh, $1082
2013 - 6206kwh, $990
2014 - 5983kwh, $1029
2015 - 6388kwh, $1117

NATGAS (No natgas usage numbers for earlier years, but do have billing data)

2010 - $440
2011 - $371
2012 - $364
2013 - $375
2014 - 350ccf, $540
2015 - 217ccf, $468

TOTAL ENERGY COST

2010 - $1504
2011 - $1533
2012 - $1446
2013 - $1365
2014 - $1569
2015 - $1585

For example, when I'm home and using personal electronics, the thermostat is set to 80F. If I'm sleeping, the thermo is set to 77F. Otherwise, it's set to 86F (essentially, the A/C is off).
If I did this, I know our money would last the rest of my life.
Because my wife would kill me within a week.
And, I would thank her, from the bottom of my sweat-soaked heart.:)

$197.00 a month level billing everything electric except oil heat. Summer use spikes the bill due to central A/C and pool pump.

If I did this, I know our money would last the rest of my life. Because my wife would kill me within a week. And, I would thank her, from the bottom of my sweat-soaked heart.:)

If I leave the house for several hours in the afternoon in deep summer, the house interior temp rises to 84F; however, the interior humidity stays low (need to discourage mold & mildew). After I return and put on the A/C, the temp quickly falls back into my comfort range (but not yours :)).

I find most air-conditioned public spaces too cold, and always bring a jacket. Having a BMI of only 19 may help explain why. :confused:

I also read that one of the secrets of millionaires is that they stay put, but the way I read it was the reason that was such a wealth builder is that they didn't continually upgrade to a more expensive house and neighborhood.

:confused:? then who they heck is buying all those multimillion dollar 5000 sq foot properties in NYC, non millionaires:confused:? :blush:

So my electric generally averages about 165.00 a month. I have a 3500 sq foot townhome.

lol, part of the problem is I still have college kids at home. everyone has their own tv's, laptops etc etc going.

throw in the fact that we just finished up our 7th heat wave (3 or more consecutive days of 90+ temps) and an a/c that is constantly on. I keep mine at 76 degrees all day

Interesting topic, I thought I was one of the few that kept track...

We have a 5+ year old solar system that we added to a few months ago and converted our method of billing over to net metering. Our bills now have 4 parts pertaining to electric: Base facility charge, peak demand charge, on peak use, off peak use. For the rest of our lives we expect to only need to pay the first 2.

Our average use 2014-2015 was 17kwh/day for a most of the time 1500 sq ft insulated concrete form house. We have en Efergy home energy monitor, found out that our electric dryer would likely cost us an extra $50 a month in peak demand charge so switched to gas. Yesterday we used 20 kwh keeping the house very comfortable and very dry, including an extra room above and beyond the 1500 sq ft.

We have a few fixtures that run at 200w/hr and have made a judgement that it is not economically feasible to change them out from fluorescent to LED or other anything else. We try to limit vacuum time to 10 minutes as the 15th minute bumps up the demand charge. We have 19-25 SEER heat pumps, zoned ductless minisplits.

We would like to afford a Tesla as we have plenty of excess power generated. Figuring out the best charging method without greatly increasing peak demand charge could be tricky. We do offer nearly free charging for Airbnb guests!

:confused:? then who they heck is buying all those multimillion dollar 5000 sq foot properties in NYC, non millionaires:confused:? :blush:

Mostly- yes. If you haven't read The Millionaire Next Door, you should- its a fun book because its about US- people who accumulate money by LBYM. When I was selling books door to door to help pay for college they told us to stay out of those high dollar neighborhoods- the people there had high mortgages and car payments and not much leftover for buying books and Bibles. A few kids tried it and found it to be true. Much more disposable income in middle class neighborhoods.

I just re-read that- maybe not in NYC that's a different class of rich altogether. But in many ritzy neighborhood there are lots and lots of people trying to LOOK rich...

We have en Efergy home energy monitor, found out that our electric dryer would likely cost us an extra $50 a month in peak demand charge so switched to gas.

That sure is a lot of cloths drying. My total electric bill averages about $50/month, also use an electric dryer and estimate the costs at about $0.30/load, but no peak charges here.

Zinger- it was not many clothes. or cloths.

Peak demand charge= peak draw. So if I had an electric stove or an electric dryer (I had both) and turned them on for 15 minutes while they draw at a 5 kw/h rate, I was billed a demand charge per each kwh. 5kwh x $8 per kwh demand=$40 a month.

The actual electric was free. If we had to pay it would have been less than 50 cents for 15 minutes use.

My peak demand so far this month is less than 2kwh.

San Diego, CA-- home of SEMPRA.

$350/mos: jacuzzi, a/c, 1100 sq ft home 1 mile from the coast.
Gas dryer and water heater.

Ridiculous. My dividends from XOM pay it. Yeah!

For comparison. This is my combined Sempra (formerly SDG&E) bill for Gas and Electricity. (I don't capture the break out in quicken.)

Avg over the past 12 months is $120/month.

I'm about 2 miles (as the crow flies) from the coast... so definitely getting coastal breezes and marine layer.

We don't have AC. (But are considering adding it... It's definitely getting hotter than when I was a kid.) We do have an attic fan than we run during the hottest part of the summer all night, every night, to pull in that coastal coolness.

We have newer energy efficient windows in 2/3's of our windows... Made a huge difference in keeping the house cool during peak summertime.

Electric washer/dryer... but I line dry at least 1 load a week. Gas on-demand water heater. Gas furnace. Gas cooktop. One electric oven (for baking) and 1 gas oven (for roasts.)

2 teenagers who take long showers, 2 older parents (me and DH) who don't take as long of a shower.

We play the game - when Sempra offers "reduce your use" rebates - we unplug all the vampire chargers, make sure not to do laundry or run the dishwasher in those hours, and always get a rebate.

Here's my actual usage for the past 12 months.
2000sf house, San Diego, no AC, no pool, 2 miles from the beach. 4 occupants.

Attachments

• electric_monthly_sdge (2).jpg
    electric_monthly_sdge (2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
My bill ranges from $100 to $200 a month. Soon to go really low when the solar system goes online.

Here II am in central Florida, Tampa area. Newer home well insulated by a good builder. Total electric. Monthly utility bill is $115-$125 per month. Talking to my poker group, I can't believe how it varies on the temperature setting by that group. Anywhere from a setting of 72 to 79 degrees. Mine is set at 78 degrees. On a really hot day I might drop it to 77.

That sure is a lot of cloths drying. My total electric bill averages about $50/month, also use an electric dryer and estimate the costs at about $0.30/load, but no peak charges here.

When the kids were at home, our electric dryer added $40 a month to our energy bill. Our peak electricity rate varies but the last time I checked it was over 30 cents a kwh so about $1 per load.

I use a "solar" dryer most days now - drying racks from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom